Author Topic: Books  (Read 9741 times)

MEJHarrison

Re: Books
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
This thread inspired me to finally start in on Under the Dome by Stephen King. ;D

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
I've started Michael Connelly's A Darkness More Than Night.

Critter

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »
I've started re reading all Harry Potter books again with the thought of the new film ebing released later this year. I have already read the first three haha. I really can race through those books where as some other books can take weeks for me to finish.

I also reread 'BOY Tales from Childhood' by Roald Dahl. I had forgotten how much of a fantastic biography that book is. Absolutely marvelous and even shocking at some points with all those horrendus medical stories he tells.

karmesinrot

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 01:45:59 AM »
Sophie is that a Roald Dahl biography? If so I might check it out, coz I LOVED all his books as a youngster.

Critter

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 04:44:37 AM »
It is his biography... sort of. He says it isn't one so it's confusing but it is. It's very cool and detailed of his childhood, even has old photos of his childhood in it. There is a sequel called 'Going Solo' which I am yet to read but I have here so I will probably start soon.

Here is some info on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_(book)

In the end though I highly recommend it. I'm not usually into bipgraphies but this was just so well written, I could hardly put it down.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
I tend to read more fiction. Janet Evanovich is one of my favorite. If you haven't read her, you must. I love the series that are numbered: "One for the Money", "Two for the Dough" etc.

A couple other books I always recommend:

Dean Koontz: "Intensity"
John Grogan: "Marley and Me"

I can never see Dean Koontz' name without thinking of
(click to show/hide)
Bad language warning

Alien Redrum

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
I tend to read more fiction. Janet Evanovich is one of my favorite. If you haven't read her, you must. I love the series that are numbered: "One for the Money", "Two for the Dough" etc.

Evanovich is fantastic, and she's one of the few female mystery authors I can tolerate.

Wait, wait, wait, let me finish.  :laugh:

I tend to like hard boiled stuff (like the Hard Case Crime series), Connelly's Bosche series, Crais' Elvis Cole series, etc.

What I like about them is they don't get into loveydovey b.s., and I've found that a lot of female authors writing crime get more into feelings and nonsense then men. I don't care about it one way or the other, I just don't want to read it myself. (And it still irks me that Cornwell's Scapetta series used to be so good, but she got so into the stupid relationships of her characters, it brought the series down.)

Now, all that said, I love Evanonvich's work. She's funny as all hell, and she doesn't have time for lovey dovey bullcrap.  :)

I'm far behind in the series (I think I've only read up to 6), but I do like her work.

I read a ton, generally horror, mystery and thriller, with an occasional (movie related) biography thrown in the mix.

Currently I'm reading Hunt at the Well of Eternity, the first in the Gabriel Hunt series. Man, it's a lot of fun.

karmesinrot

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
I just started reading a great book called "Death's Acre" about Prof. Bill Bass' body farm. It's very interesting but definitely not one to have lying around when guests come over :P

m.cellophane

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
I usually stick to non-fiction. I recently read Jesse Ventura's American Conspiracies which is thought-provoking for sure. I've also been reading Michael Pollan's books after viewing Food, Inc.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
I usually stick to non-fiction. I recently read Jesse Ventura's American Conspiracies...

Thank you for the reminder. I've been meaning to pick this up, didn't put it on my list and forgot all about it.

Critter

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »
So I just started the sequel to Roald Dahls autobiography that I was talking about called 'Going Solo'. It is fantastic so far, that man led an amazing life and he is able to talk about it in a ery entertaining, and even humorous way/

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »

A couple other books I always recommend:

Dean Koontz: "Intensity"
John Grogan: "Marley and Me"

I can never see Dean Koontz' name without thinking of
(click to show/hide)
Bad language warning

My mum loves thrillers. Her favourite female authors are Mary Higgins Clark and, much newer, P J Tracy. All time fave is the recently late Dick Francis. I'll look up Janet Evanovich. I don't recognise the name, but if we're talking similar ground, she'll be into it.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:40 AM »
My mum loves thrillers. Her favourite female authors are Mary Higgins Clark and, much newer, P J Tracy. All time fave is the recently late Dick Francis. I'll look up Janet Evanovich. I don't recognise the name, but if we're talking similar ground, she'll be into it.

It is hard to compare her with the other authors you mom likes. I too love Dick Francis, although I should credit his wife Mary since she collaborated with him on his novels, and own them all. But, Evanovich is difficult to describe. Seldom does an author make me laugh out loud - she does that all the time. I not only buy her books the minute they come out, I have signed up to receive email updates.  :-[ I have recommended her to many, many people and everyone I know feels the same way - she is a great read.

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 02:22:43 AM »

It is hard to compare her with the other authors you mom likes. I too love Dick Francis, although I should credit his wife Mary since she collaborated with him on his novels, and own them all. But, Evanovich is difficult to describe. Seldom does an author make me laugh out loud - she does that all the time. I not only buy her books the minute they come out, I have signed up to receive email updates.  :-[ I have recommended her to many, many people and everyone I know feels the same way - she is a great read.

Well, mum will literally read anything. Amongst her all time favourites are Goodnight Mr. Tom and The Darling Buds of May series, which was televised actually and was really well done. I'm sure she'll take to Janet.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 04:36:35 AM »
I have read some of the Evanovich books.