Author Topic: Books  (Read 9744 times)

RossRoy

Re: Books
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
I read all 6 Harry Potter books (for the first time!).

Seven, actually. ;)

I knew I should've checked that before typing  :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
What's the Internet for if not nitpicking? (And the other thing. ;))
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:58:13 PM »

Something like that.  I think it's Under the Dome.

Ahh..Ok.  I just knew Done was in the title.  I've seen that one.  I read a review of it on Epinions about a week ago from someone that really liked it.  I haven't read many King books...only 3 or 4 I think.  The Shinning is the only one I really liked.  I think I have 1 or 2 more of his around here waiting to be read.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:27 AM »
I've read most all of Stephen King's books.  Some were good, some weren't.  Back when I read a lot, I just liked having something to read.  Hopefully this will turn out to be one of his better books.

When I had 2 hours of commuting on the train every day, I read all the Tom Clancy books.  Just because I knew they are such heavy reading that I wouldn't have to look for something new for quite some time. :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
I was just re-reading High Fidelity, but ive put it on hold whilst I read some film production books ¬_¬

Nick Hornby (High Fidelity author) is one of my favourites, as is Douglas Coupland.

karmesinrot

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »
High Fidelity is one of my all time favourite books. I have the quote about losing the plot, the subplot, the sript, the credits etc up on my desk :P

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
I tend to read more fiction. Janet Evanovich is one of my favorite. If you haven't read her, you must. I love the series that are numbered: "One for the Money", "Two for the Dough" etc.

A couple other books I always recommend:

Dean Koontz: "Intensity"
John Grogan: "Marley and Me"

Critter

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »

Is it as sad as the film?

snowcat

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
High Fidelity is one of my all time favourite books. I have the quote about losing the plot, the subplot, the sript, the credits etc up on my desk :P

;p I love High Fidelity... I actually thought I was crazy until I read that book... ¬_¬ alot of the things Rob does are mirror images of things I do haha.

Marley and Me is on my Stanza list on my Ipod Touch, I will be reading it over the summer I hope... as soon as I have finished these other books ¬_¬

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »

Is it as sad as the film?

Almost all of the book is laugh out loud funny. The end is sad, how could it not be, but I have read the book 3 or 4 times now. I like the way John Grogan writes - he is on my "buy the hard cover to support the author" list.

Edit: I haven't seen the film so I can't compare.

Rogmeister

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
I haven't been reading much for the last 3-4 years, mostly due to my vision problems.  Before I read quite a bit.  I have read some fiction but generally go more for nonfiction.  I have enjoyed some of Larry McMurtry's westerns (Lonesome Dove, Buffalo Girls) and other things. I really enjoy good movie-related books, though.  Now that I have the new DVD to "The African Queen" I need to read my copy of the book Katharine Hepburn wrote about it "The Making of The African Queen...Or How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston And Almost Lost My Mind".  :laugh:  Yes, that's the real title.

I belong to a classic cinema e-mail list and every Sunday (except on holidays) the lady who runs the list has a trivia question.  Whoever gets it right wins the weekly a prize which is always a used book she's found when she scours the used book stores.  Among the books I've won are one on the making of the 1939 Jesse James film, Charlton Heston's journals from 1956-1976, a biography of Lucille Ball and others.  Oprah Winfrey used to have an occasional thing called "Oprah's Book Club" where everyone would be invited to read a certain book then she'd bring in the author and discuss it with the writer and some audience members.  I didn't read a lot of those but did read a couple including She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and Stones from the River...I forget the author's name of that one...Ursula somebody, I think. 

MEJHarrison

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
Dean Koontz: "Intensity"

I'm was a big Dean Koontz fan for years.  I have Koontz books going back to the late '60s.  Plus books he's written under various pen names (Leigh Nichols, Brian Coffey, K.R. Dwyer, Richard Paige, Owen West, etc).  What finally turned me off his work is around the time he wrote Watchers he seemed to find a winning formula for writing a best seller.  And he used that same formula in almost every book he's written since (the main exceptions are the Odd series).  I essentially got tired of reading the same basic story over and over and over.  But I still have my collection.

It's a shame since he had some great material before hitting the best seller list.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
I do like Dean Koontz...I like some of his older books more than the ones he's written in the last few years.  Watches..Shadowfires...Phantoms...  Night Chills..Key to Midnight.  I still like his newer stuff overall, but his earlier books are better I think.  I do have a few of his books in my pile to read.

Critter

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 02:24:53 AM »
Haha I see this thread has already turned into a discussion about books, even though it is still in the suggestions area. Perhaps it should be moved to 'general'.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
I've just finished Roadside Crosses - by Jeffery Deaver
I think that most active members of this board would see some similarities between one of the characters and someone over at Invelos.