Author Topic: Books  (Read 9743 times)

Critter

Books
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
I was wondering how many members of the forum are big readers. If there are a lot of readers here then perhaps we could have a book section, to discuss what we are reading, book suggestions etc. Even to discuss things like manga and comics as well. If there are only a few serious readers in the forum though then this is probably best left to a couple of threads in the 'general' section. Either way I just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:02 AM »
You just reminded me about a book I wanted to get from the library, but forgot to check earlier.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:58:21 AM »
I read a decent amount of books.  I do like to talk about them with people...but I don't have many people to discuss them with anymore.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:08:12 AM »
I work. I watch DVD. I play games on my PS3. I have no time for books :P

MEJHarrison

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »
I used to have an hour commute on the train to work.  That was 2 hours a day to do nothing but read.  I loved it.

Now I have a 7-8 minute drive (2.5 miles).  And I'm with Achim!  By the time everyone is in bed, it's time for some TV, video games or DVD.  But I have the latest Stephen King book I've been dying to start.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:23 AM »
But I have the latest Stephen King book I've been dying to start.

Is that The Dome?

karmesinrot

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
I used to be a huge reader when I was younger, I read like 6 books a week. Now I don't have as much time but I still love reading and try to get to the library every fortnight or so. Although my pre-exam night out resulted in my purse being stolen and I haven't replaced my library card yet  :( I'm rereading Jurassic Park for the third time right now

ETA: my "score" has went from like 33 to 199 overnight :S how weird
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:45:59 AM by karmesinrot »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
I used to be a big reader but now I have rarely time for it. Monday evenings are reserved for the weekly news magazine Der Spiegel and after that it's pretty much TV week for the rest of the week.

When I was still living in Berlin I used to commute with public transportation where I could read a lot, but where I'm living now a car is basically your only option and I've heard that reading while driving might cause some problems. I still think it's an urban myth but better be safe than sorry, don't you think?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
I love to read - even more than watching DVDs! :tomato: I don't play games or watch much TV so I have more time for a good book. I read so much when I was younger I learned to read quickly and can finish a book in a day or two. Plus, I only need a few hours of sleep a night and devote some time every night reading something.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
I try to read every night as well Kathy. I find if I read every night before I try and sleep then I will sleep much better. Currently I'm reading 'Magician' by Raymond E Feist.

karmesinrot

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
This thread has inspired me to read more once my exams are over. I remember when the last couple of Harry Potter books were being released I would buy them from Tesco at midnight and read them within 24 hours  ::)

Critter

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
This thread has inspired me to read more once my exams are over. I remember when the last couple of Harry Potter books were being released I would buy them from Tesco at midnight and read them within 24 hours  ::)

Oh we have all been there. We used to buy two copies just so my sister and I could read it at the same time. If you think that's bad, one of my friends families used to cut the book up as they went a long so they could all read it at once!

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
Man! I couldn't even dream of reading a book in 24 hours.. or even in a week! I'm happy if I finish it within a month!

That being said I actually like reading, and I read every night. It started by necessity - I have to wear compression stockings for my legs and they have to be washed and then hung to dry every night and I can't walk and/or sit while the stockings are off - so I used that time to read. Now I will often keep reading long after the stockings are drying - so I guess I'm now doing for fun too!

Last night I just finished reading Dune for the 3rd time, and will be starting Dune Messiah tonight!

Before reading Dune, I read all 6 Harry Potter books (for the first time!).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:39:47 PM by RossRoy »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
I read all 6 Harry Potter books (for the first time!).

Seven, actually. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

MEJHarrison

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
But I have the latest Stephen King book I've been dying to start.

Is that The Dome?

Something like that.  I think it's Under the Dome.