Author Topic: I'm Having Surgery on Thursday  (Read 7624 times)

Rogmeister

Re: I'm Having Surgery on Thursday
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
I just got back from my pre-surgery visit with one of my eye surgeons.  It turns out he did not give me  an injection in my eye after all.  There's so much blood in my eye that he couldn't see inside it well enough to be able to precisely put the shot where it should go...so no injection for me today.  :cheers:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
Nice that you didn't have to endure the shot, but doesn't that postpone the needed surgery...?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
It's a lot of question Sophie :laugh:

Why did you get all of them removed?
I had dental abscesses who were serious enough that I often had to spent nights at the hospital emergency connected to the antibiotics. I was just tired of suffer this.
And do you literally mean all?
Yes, most of them were in good shape but I wanted to stop this once and for all.
If you do how do eat etc now, do you have a fake set?
One month of pasta and soup since eating hard food was hard to do. Of course I have one :laugh:
Why did you refuse to have them done at the hospital?
It would have been too long. Our system is one of the best, but the waiting time can be excessive. It was a better option to pay a dentist and have the job done fast. Of course I haven't found one immediatly since most of them didn't want to do the job (more profitable to repair than remove), but it was faster than the hospital waiting list.

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
Roger, I'm glad to hear you've had a similar op before, because I didn't like to contradict Kathy; my Dad had an eye op for the same kind of thing and I know he said that needle was awful! Good luck though.

As for dentists, I remember as a kid they used to knock us out to remove teeth rather than use the injections, but then one day I was waiting and a kid who went up before me tragically died. The gas found a hole in his heart that no-one knew about and killed him. :(

I had great fun a couple of years ago when I had a back tooth out. "Oh, it'll just slide out", he said. "Easiest of the lot", he said. Yeah, right! Mine was wedged in and he snapped it! I had to wait for it to grow back before he had another go and the resultant damage was akin to root canal work. :-X

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that you had pain with your treatment. It must make the anticipation of undergoing the same procedure that much worse.

I must admit I do have a high tolerance to pain. I actually had root canal work done without anesthetics - I bit my cheeks severely the one time I had it and I won't use it again. And when my wisdom tooth cracked - I actually pulled it out myself!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
I had great fun a couple of years ago when I had a back tooth out. "Oh, it'll just slide out", he said. "Easiest of the lot", he said. Yeah, right! Mine was wedged in and he snapped it! I had to wait for it to grow back before he had another go and the resultant damage was akin to root canal work. :-X

How about this one...

Back in 1983 I was scheduled to have my wisdom teeth taken out. I had one impacted, the rest were going to be a piece of cake. The dentist shoots me up with Novocaine and tells me that if I feel any pain to gently nudge him with my right arm. He didn't want me to speak while he had the instruments in my mouth.

So, instead of taking out the impacted one first, he decides to take out the easy ones first. And as expected, they come out without any pain or problem. Now he's ready for the impacted tooth. Now mind you, the Novocaine injections have only numbed the back of my jaw.

He starts to pull the tooth, but is having a problem with it. He goes in again after it, to give it a good tug and get it out. Suddenly, it feels as if every tooth from the wisdom to the front of my jaw moves about a millimeter forward and each tooth's nerve connections go on overload. The pain was like nothing I had ever experienced before, because the front of my jaw was not numbed.

My reaction to the pain would cause the dentist to experience something he had never experienced before. Remembering instinctively what he had told me before he started, my right arm instantly spasm-ed and struck him right in the nuts. He drops his instruments and doubles over in completely surprise and agony. After he regains his composure, he turns to me and says "I guess I hit a nerve, huh?" I look at him, and mumble, "I guess I did too".

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
 :hysterical:

You're reminding me of something... a joke or a sketch I must have seen somewhere: guy in the chair waits until the Dentist starts peering in his mouth and then reaches out and gently holds the Dentists nuts, whose eyes widen in surprise.

"Now then, you don't hurt me... I don't hurt you." :devil:

That wouldn't work with my Dentist. She's a gorgeous New Zealand blonde! Hell of a nice view from the chair... :whistle:

snowcat

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »
Well, I guess thats good and bad news.... right Roger?

Oh Jon ¬_¬ please do not talk about dentists! im absolutely convinced im growing a 5th... well half a wisdom tooth ¬_¬ I swear my wisdom teeth came years ago and now I have what feels like half a tooth growing. *sigh* if only I was one of those new breed of people born without wisdom teeth.

...Ive had so many teeth out ¬_¬ my baby teeth wouldn't fall out, lol.. had to have most removed. I hate teeth and dentists!

karmesinrot

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
I dunno if I've got wisdom teeth through yet.. I don't remember any extreme pain getting them through, but I also don't seem to have any room left in my mouth for more teeth  ???

MEJHarrison

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
My reaction to the pain would cause the dentist to experience something he had never experienced before. Remembering instinctively what he had told me before he started, my right arm instantly spasm-ed and struck him right in the nuts. He drops his instruments and doubles over in completely surprise and agony. After he regains his composure, he turns to me and says "I guess I hit a nerve, huh?" I look at him, and mumble, "I guess I did too".

:laugh:

That reminds me of my pain story.  I went in to make sure that there would be no more children coming from me.  The guy worked on the left side first and everything went just fine.  Then he moved to the other side.  All of a sudden my body jerked about a foot off the table.  Seems they cauterize with some electrical device and I felt the shock very clearly!  And of all places to be shocked!!!

Then the silly doctor first asked if I felt that.  Then tells me that that almost never happens.  Yeah, almost never! :stars:

Then to make matters worse he tells me he's almost done and would prefer to just finish up if that's ok with me.  So I spent the rest of the procedure getting shocked in the nuts.  But at least he left me with a good story. :laugh:

It could have been worse.  I had a friend get the same surgery and the doctor told him he could put ice down there if it helped.  Then the idiot puts ices down there.  And leaves it there (refilling as needed) for the next 24 hours until he gave himself frostbite. :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 07:00:04 AM »
I once had a root canal done and apparently some sort of fat layer around the nerves made it impossible for the novocaine to reach it. So, the dentist had to drill out parts of the nerve without the nerve being numbed :stars:

One of the stories above reminded me of the movie scene where the dentist talks to the patient during procedure; the patient having those cotton things in the cheeks. When he's done and has removed the cotton thingies they try to wrap up the conversation, but suddenly the dentist doesn't understand the (now talking clearly) patient anymore. he then proceeds to put the cotton back so thatz he can understand what is being said. :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
I've had 4 or 5 surgeries..mostly on my hips and one on a knee.  I was..let me think a minute....  7 or 8 I think when the first one was done.  I don't remember much from being in recovery, but I still remember waking up one time, holding up one hand - I think my right hand - for some reason.  Then it looked like the the skin on my index finger peeled away and my finger was gone.  I kind of remember thinking what happened to my finger, but then I just went back to sleep.  They were giving me morphine at that point.  I don't remember anything like that from the other surgeries. 

MEJHarrison

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
I've done the wisdom teeth thing.  Don't wish to recall it.  The only big surgery I've had (that required a hospital stay) was my appendix.  I believe it had burst actually before they got to it.  Anyway, it was a 5 day hospital stay when I was about 21-22.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »
All together, I was in the hospital about 4 months with the first two hip surgeries.  Not a fun time.  I was in traction after the surgery too and had to learn to walk again.

Rogmeister

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 02:27:02 AM »
Wow, my little surgery post seems to have become a game of "Can you top this?"...in answer to Jon's question, no, the surgery was not delayed because of their being unable to give me that injection.  I did have my surgery yesterday as scheduled.  It probably lasted between 2-3 hours and I was awake for most, if not all, of it.  I was strapped down so I couldn't move and (as before) had some sort of cover over me.  These two operations are the only times I've experienced any kind of claustrophobia.  I went back for a post-op visit today and the doctor there said everything looks great.  I next see my regular eye doctor (one of the two surgeons who worked on me) next Wednesday.