Author Topic: I'm Having Surgery on Thursday  (Read 7623 times)

Rogmeister

I'm Having Surgery on Thursday
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
Some of you know about some of my health problems and you may remember that I am having vision problems.  I currently have a hemorrhage in my left eye.  This means veins inside the eye have leaked blood into that eye and because of that I can't see a darn thing through that eye.  Tomorrow I see my eye doctor and he'll probably give me an injection (a needle right in the eye) in preparation for my surgery which is scheduled for Thursday.  It's actually a 2-part operation..to correct the hemorrhage and to also remove a cataract and replace it with an implant.  Once that's done and my eye heals, I can hopefully get new eyeglasses and get my vision back to normal...or at least as normal as it's going to get.

I also recently had a colonoscopy and they found some cancer in a polyp that was removed...but a follow-up catscan since has shown no lingering cancer so I can now say that, like John Wayne, I whipped the "Big C".   :tease:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: I'm Having Surgery on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
I hope the surgery goes all right for you.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
Best of luck, Roger. Will you have lots of nice nurses fussing over you? I'm almost jealous... ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »
Hope it all goes well and you recuperate fast Roger!

karmesinrot

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
Good luck for the eye op Roger, hope it all goes well and you get the best of care!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »
I had elective surgery on my eyes to correct my vision. They use a razor to slice the cornea and lift it out of the way. Although it sounds horrible, as does the needle in the eye, it didn't hurt at all. I even refused the sedatives so I was awake and alert when they did it.

I know it has been a rough year for you Roger. It is bad enough having to undergo dialysis without having other health problems on top of it. I hope your eye surgery goes smoothly and that you have a fast and easy recovery.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »
Good luck Roger!

And thrilled to hear that the cancer is behind you now!  :thumbup:
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »
The Best of Wishes to ya!

Rogmeister

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes!!!
I don't know about the lots of nurses fussing over me.  I will not spend the night in the hospital.  I will be out and back by nightfall...not quite home, as I will stay that night at my brother's.  Then I will be back in Pittsburgh the following day for a follow-up visit with a doctor.  I had the same operation a year ago on the other eye but in a different facility.  I was awake the whole time.  They had some kind of cloak over my head and I got a slight case of claustrophobia.  I might prefer it if they knocked me out but since they didn't the first time (and this is probably being done by the same two doctors) they probably won't this time either.  And that needle in the eye DOES hurt!

Critter

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
I hope you all the best for your surgery Roger. I am also having surgery next Tuesday, only mild though... I am having my wisdom teeth taken out. Boy am I going to be stupid after they take all that wisdom away.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
All the best wishes to you Roger. Looking forward to hear from you again soon!

I am having my wisdom teeth taken out. Boy am I going to be stupid after they take all that wisdom away.
I was lucky, when they removed mine the difference was hardly recognizable ;) I then went to have my brain checked, but they didn't find anything :laugh:

Good luck to you too. It's quite a boring time waiting for the doctor to finish :shrugs: Only reminder: prepare an ice-pack and use it plenty when you get home. Your cheek will blow up like a balloon if you don't; trust me, I speak from experience ::)

Critter

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »
Thanks Achim, I will have an ice-pack and some strong pain killers when I get home. This will actually be my third mouth-based surgery. The first one I had was having two teeth removed, as well as a bit of my tongue (yes you read correctly). The second one I had something else removed, I don't remember what it's name is but it was the small bit of skin that is between the two front teeth. And now for my third one it's the wisdom teeth, but only the bottom too. Geez, much more of this and I won't have a mouth left. :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Sophie it's just a couple of teeth. Imagine that I got all mine removed in two days 16 years ago :P

The first day wasn't too bad since the freezing stuff works long enough for the lower jaw, but with the upper one the next day it was hell on earth... Most of the works was done without analgesics since the freezing didn't really work for a long time. The first thing I did when I get out was to buy an ice cream to calm the hurting, let me tell you something it was bad idea...

When I think that I refused to have the works done at the hospital under complete sedation... Bad decision from myself.

Critter

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
Sophie it's just a couple of teeth. Imagine that I got all mine removed in two days 16 years ago

A couple of teeth... don't forget the bit of tongue I had removed!  :P

Oh and too the rest of your story.... OUCH!
Why did you get all of them removed? And do you literally mean all? If you do how do eat etc now, do you have a fake set? Why did you refuse to have them done at the hospital? I get all of mine done at the hospital rather than the dentist. The most I have had done at the actual dentist was have a filling or two. One of which I fell asleep during... which has led me to never play relaxing music on my ipod while at the dentist again. Apparently you have to be awake for those things  :laugh:

karmesinrot

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
I don't think I've ever had proper sugery - the worst I've had is being knocked out for normal tooth removals., because I hated getting teeth out. They tried to make me do it just with nitrous oxide like 3 times, once with added Valium, and each time when they came towards me with the needle I was pull myself out of my little stoned state and jump out of the chair :P