Author Topic: Playstation 3  (Read 56912 times)

Critter

Re: Playstation 3
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2010, 05:05:33 AM »
Thanks, I will probably add you sometime today. Someone took my first preference too, that's why TDragonn is spelt with two n's.  :-[
My usual online alias is TDragon.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2010, 04:07:41 AM »
Bump it up the list, Achim! You'll be hooked and you'll have the episodes to play in-between the shiny, new games. ;)

Actually, if you haven't ventured into the Orange Box, I must also alert you to Portal, which is sodding wonderful in so many ways. If we were judging on pleasant surprises and unnecessary ingenuity, then Portal would be the must-play game of the century. :laugh:
So I keep hearing ("best game ever"). Well, I can say that I played about 2/3 or 3/4 through that one. Got stuck at a more elaborate puzzle though and haven't gone back yet. I'd be more compelled to call it a concept, rather than an actual game though :shrug: It is an awesome concept though :laugh:

I saw it at JB yesterday for $34. I was very tempted but I am still trying to hold back. I would really like to finish Arkham Asylum before I buy any new games, and I'm thinking of trading in my Assassin's Creed. I never really get much money for trade-ins though.
I might check out the demo though, thanks for the suggestion.
LittleBigPlanet is a great game. The "story" levels are wonderful and fun (although I never beat the final boss :bag:) and then there is also a boat load of awesome community levels.

I am glad you didn't buy it just yet, because I am here to tell you that LittleBigPlanet 2 has been announced for later this year and it will be (90%...?) backwards compatible (of course you still be missing the "story" level, but since you don't have cash to burn I'd recommend to simply wait for the sequel).

I forgot if it was taken or if I just had trouble using it, so my PSN ID is ya_shin56. I though it was smart at first but realized later it was a rather unfortunate choice. 56 refers to the Taiwan calendar, according to which I am non in the year "56" (now is 99, big shiny 100 celebration coming up next year). However, since it's a common thing to use year of birth as a add-on now many people will think I am 11 years older than I really am, assuming that it's 1956 :slaphead:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:12:16 AM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2010, 04:17:41 AM »
So I keep hearing ("best game ever"). Well, I can say that I played about 2/3 or 3/4 through that one. Got stuck at a more elaborate puzzle though and haven't gone back yet. I'd be more compelled to call it a concept, rather than an actual game though :shrug: It is an awesome concept though :laugh:

You clearly haven't gone far enough! :p it develops from a standard puzzler into something quite traditional and fresh at the same time. You will also be rewarded with the quite wonderful song Still Alive  :D

Critter

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2010, 04:23:17 AM »
LittleBigPlanet is a great game. The "story" levels are wonderful and fun (although I never beat the final boss ) and then there is also a boat load of awesome community levels.

I am glad you didn't buy it just yet, because I am here to tell you that LittleBigPlanet 2 has been announced for later this year and it will be (90%...?) backwards compatible (of course you still be missing the "story" level, but since you don't have cash to burn I'd recommend to simply wait for the sequel).

I have heard about the sequel to Little Big Planet and I have been reading about it a fair bit. I usually like to play the first games first and then the sequels after. This has worked well a couple of times, like with the Uncharted series. Although this plan has backfired on me also, when I saw that Assassins Creed 2 had come out I thought I would buy and play AC 1 first. I got AC1 and liked it for about a couple of days, while it was good I just got bored of it really quickly. I'm starting to think I should have just saved up and gone straight to AC2. Do you think it will matter not playing LBP 1 before the sequel?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »
Do you think it will matter not playing LBP 1 before the sequel?
May I draw your attention to my use of quotation marks around the word story...? So, no, I don't think you need to have played 1 to enjoy 2. The only benefit you might have is getting familiar with the creation mechanics, but then they say those have been improved as well, so that may not really be needed after all.

I have played AC2 without having played the first one and they did a good job in letting you know just enough to get into the story. LittleBigPlanet is a pure platformer. there is no story to speak of, it's more of a showcase of what can be done ;)

Critter

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
I think I might wait for the sequel then. Only problem is when the sequel is first released it will be very pricey... so I would have to wait months before it is in my price range anyway, and that's after it was released.
If I wait for the sequel I may not end up playing the game for a looong time from now. I'll see how I go with the games I have now though.

W0m6at

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »
I'm concerned that LBP2 will even have a story. The big push in the press releases so far has been on the level/game creation elements (which I've not even dabbled in in LBP1). Give the demo a go Critter.

Critter

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2010, 04:23:54 PM »
These 'demos' you keep talking about. I assume you just buy them through the Playstation Store right? You don't have to pay do you?  :bag:
Sorry for the very noobish questions, but when it comes to gaming I usually just put a disc in and go. All the extra features of being on the Playstation Network are still very new to me.

RossRoy

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
Usually demos are free. Well, they are free on Xbox live anyway.

But it would seem that it is about to change. EA wants to start charging money for demos.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-to-release-paid-dlc-before-boxed-games_0

W0m6at

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
Just go onto the store (PSN) and then to the game. Most games will have a demo (usually marked as such). Some will also have trailers and add-on content. The prices are usually clearly marked, and you have to confirm before you actually buy anything, so it's quite tricky to accidentally make a purchase.

The demo for LittleBigPlanet (and indeed all demos I've encountered) is free. For LBP you basically get the tutorial level and a few "real" levels iirc. Just be aware that you can't include add-on content to the demo, nor do you keep any costume items from the demo if you get the full version. If you do decide to get the full version, there are some free costumes in the store, and often releases for special occasions (like holidays).

Critter

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:15 AM »
Thankss for that Wombat. Do the demos stay on your PS3 or can you remove them when you feel you have played them enough?

W0m6at

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:58 AM »
You install them, but if you decide you've had enough, you can uninstall them. I think the remove is under the triangle menu (you highlight the game from your media bar and instead of X, press triangle).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:32 AM »
The file system works more like the Mac than a Windows PC, meaning there is just one file that needs to be deleted, rather than an uninstall procedure.

While I was emphasizing the points about the sequel, I never intended for you not to download the demo! Go, do it, now!

Critter

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
The file system works more like the Mac than a Windows PC, meaning there is just one file that needs to be deleted, rather than an uninstall procedure.

While I was emphasizing the points about the sequel, I never intended for you not to download the demo! Go, do it, now!

I wish I could do it right now but I tried to log in thismorning, only for my PS3 to tell me it can't connect to the network. I did a connection test which failed, it said it couldn't acces the WEP :(. I have been home alone all day, which basically means no way of me figuring this out myself, but hopefully someone will be home later on who can help me get it up and running again.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:26 AM »
Well, yes, I did read you having network troubles. Of course me saying "now" wasn't meant all that literal :laugh:, a.s.a.p. will do :)