Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856908 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1155 on: February 25, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Receive this morning from Eric

Thanks again Eric ;)

Jon I've seen Psycho too many times on television that's why I'm not in a hurry to get it. With less money I prefer to buy movie that I have rarely or never watch.

But I have the remake and it's the same movie :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 25, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
OMG! I was so disappointed when I bought the remake of Psycho! I don't think I watched it since!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1157 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
The Premiere Collection is what I got last week..a special on Amazon for like $41.99 I think it was.

I also have The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, and Vertigo...I can also get my hands on To Catch a Thief and Rope..my mom has those.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
OMG! I was so disappointed when I bought the remake of Psycho! I don't think I watched it since!
Watch it only one time and it was enough for me (at least I've paid almost nothing for it). The only reaction that I got when watching it was : What is the point of this it's the exact same movie frame by frame :shrug:

This is certainly the most literal and unecessary remake that I've watched.   

Najemikon

« Reply #1159 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
The Psycho remake continues to fascinate me. I've never seen it and have no wish to, but whereas most remakes are made by average directors, this was Gus Van Sant, who is a remarkable filmmaker. His most recent being Milk, and the year before Psycho, Good Will Hunting. To his credit, I suppose it was more of an experiment than anything else; an experiment to create the most pointless of pointless remakes! :yawn:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1160 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:03 AM »
The Psycho remake continues to fascinate me. I've never seen it and have no wish to, but whereas most remakes are made by average directors, this was Gus Van Sant, who is a remarkable filmmaker. His most recent being Milk, and the year before Psycho, Good Will Hunting. To his credit, I suppose it was more of an experiment than anything else; an experiment to create the most pointless of pointless remakes! :yawn:

I've seen it.  I didn't think it was that bad...though even though it was the same with only a few minor changes - like the amount of money involved - it wasn't as good as the original.  It had a good cast..but something just didn't completely work..but I didn't think it was horrible.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 26, 2009, 04:06:48 AM »
It had a good cast..but something just didn't completely work..
One simple reason (at least for me), Vince Vaughn isn't Anthony Perkins. Perkins was just perfect for this role.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 26, 2009, 05:21:14 AM »
The Premiere Collection is what I got last week..a special on Amazon for like $41.99 I think it was.
Too bad, it obviously was a special, as it's now back to $83.99 :o

I always understood the frame-by-frame remake as an attempt to bring the not-to-be-imroved-upon movie to an audience who normally either don't like b&w and/or old movies. As I don't have that "problem", I have not seen the remake ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1163 on: February 26, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »
It had a good cast..but something just didn't completely work..
One simple reason (at least for me), Vince Vaughn isn't Anthony Perkins. Perkins was just perfect for this role.

That is very true.  Vaughn just didn't reach the same level of creepy.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1164 on: February 26, 2009, 06:49:59 AM »

Too bad, it obviously was a special, as it's now back to $83.99 :o

I always understood the frame-by-frame remake as an attempt to bring the not-to-be-imroved-upon movie to an audience who normally either don't like b&w and/or old movies. As I don't have that "problem", I have not seen the remake ;)

It was one of those lightening deals that is only good for like 2 or 3 hours.  I've been checking those - and the Gold Box offers or whatever they call them more often.  Though last week I just barely missed getting the Complete 70's Show set for $80 I think it was.  That irked me since I've been watching for that for like 3 months.  Oh well. 

Najemikon

« Reply #1165 on: February 26, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

That's like when they remake foreign films and I can understand some idiot executive hiring a cheap director to do a cheap knock off and target that audience, but Gus Van Sant normally has more respect for himself. I did hear he regards it as a failure, which is something. Just goes to prove that it's that little bit of magic between the frames you can't trace that makes the difference. 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1166 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
Alien Quadrilogy (£13.99 at HMV)
Another cheap boxset which was missing from my collection.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1167 on: February 26, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
This one came yesterday.

I got 2 more orders in today.

This includes The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, Inspector Clouseau, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Trail of the Pink Panther, Curse of the Pink Panther, Son of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther (2006), and 9 DVDs of Pink Panther cartoons.  The set also came with a book.

My other order had these

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
Alien Quadrilogy (£13.99 at HMV)
Another cheap boxset which was missing from my collection.
Why not wait for the Blu-ray, which is rumored to be out as early as end of 2009! Well, double-dipping time for me too. Then again, if they also sell single movie versions, I'll just get 1 & 2 on Blu, 3 and (*gasp*) 4 are perfectly fine on DVD.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1169 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Why not wait for the Blu-ray, which is rumored to be out as early as end of 2009! Well, double-dipping time for me too. Then again, if they also sell single movie versions, I'll just get 1 & 2 on Blu, 3 and (*gasp*) 4 are perfectly fine on DVD.

The Alien movies are not as important to me as some others here  :P
I was never willing to pay the price of the boxset. The price I paid now for it is the limit I am willing to spend on it. The Blu-ray version would be out of my price league :laugh:
Also I don't have anything against watching the DVD version, if it is a somewhat decent transfer.

I have seen all four of them once so far (my brother has a similar DVD collection). As far as I remember (it has been some years), I didn't think that 4 was that bad.