Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855768 times)

Najemikon

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5265 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:53 AM »
True Grit, Rio Bravo, The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Order them now. Don't think, just do it. Would you like me to put them in a basket for you?  :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: June 13, 2011, 06:01:39 AM »
Today:

The Wild Geese
Have you had a chance to look at this one? I was (/am...?) considering to order it, but online reviews are pretty much mostly on the negative side; loads of DNR and sharpness issues, not to speak of the last 7 minutes being from a different source...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5267 on: June 13, 2011, 06:18:23 AM »
I've seen the John Wayne True Grit and I liked it too.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
True Grit, Rio Bravo, The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Order them now. Don't think, just do it. Would you like me to put them in a basket for you?  :devil:

Ordered now in Blu-ray barring The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, the DVD of that was dearer than any of the Blu-ray's so I left it out for the moment, in fact it was dearer than Rio Bravo and The Searchers added together. Just hope these don't become another Psycho or North by North West. After checking within DVD Profiler I found that I did have a couple of films with John Wayne in them - How The West Was Won and The Longest Day.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

kahless

« Reply #5269 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
Today:

The Wild Geese
Have you had a chance to look at this one? I was (/am...?) considering to order it, but online reviews are pretty much mostly on the negative side; loads of DNR and sharpness issues, not to speak of the last 7 minutes being from a different source...

So far I did not watch it, but I'm pretty sure that the issue with the last 7 minutes is correct. I read this from different sources. The only reason I bought this blu ray is the price and the fact that it can't be worse than my existing full frame dvd. So I personally do not expect too much from this blu!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: June 13, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
So far I did not watch it, but I'm pretty sure that the issue with the last 7 minutes is correct. I read this from different sources. The only reason I bought this blu ray is the price and the fact that it can't be worse than my existing full frame dvd. So I personally do not expect too much from this blu!
Thanks.

It is still available for €7.95 and I tend to agree, that it should be worth that. On the other hand, we have to vote with our wallets all the same :stars:

Najemikon

« Reply #5271 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

Ordered now in Blu-ray barring The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, the DVD of that was dearer than any of the Blu-ray's so I left it out for the moment, in fact it was dearer than Rio Bravo and The Searchers added together. Just hope these don't become another Psycho or North by North West. After checking within DVD Profiler I found that I did have a couple of films with John Wayne in them - How The West Was Won and The Longest Day.

:laugh: Good for you for trying!  :thumbup:

Rio Bravo is one of the most unashamedly entertaining films you could ever hope to see, and surprisingly influential, so I think you'll be ok. It was by Howard Hawks, so if you like it and want something a little more serious from him and The Duke, try Red River. Gorgeous film.

The Searchers is considered to be Wayne's finest performance and the film as a whole is thought of as amongst the greatest westerns ever, but go in with an open mind. There is a vein of naivety and silliness, as Antares has previously spoken of, and can certainly make it feel a bit uneven, but I feel it's more of a metaphor, because it's balanced by the real plot which is cold and hard.

I recommended the original True Grit, because it'll be a nice comparison, though don't be surprised if you prefer the new film. The old one is admired for John Wayne, but the rest is extremely typical of the genre. Enjoyable waffle!

Make sure you watch True Grit and Rio Bravo before The Searchers and you'll see what I mean about how different he is. John Wayne was a movie star first, possibly the most iconic, and actor second. He switched them around for The Searchers.

Shame about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, so keep an eye out for it. It's the most solid and pure of all the suggestions, without motive. While it lacks the ambition of The Searchers, it doesn't depend solely on entertaining banter like you may find the (utterly lovable) Rio Bravo does. It's story first, genre second, movie stars last. It had Wayne in more of a supporting role with Jimmy Stewart and if you liked that, the can marked "Worms" would certainly be open! ;)

I could have suggested The Shootist actually. Stewart and Wayne are wonderful, along with Lauren Bacall, with the poignancy of it being The Duke's ironic swansong, but Liberty Valance was as I said, without such preconceptions. It's just a bloody good film.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: June 14, 2011, 12:49:26 AM »

Make sure you watch True Grit and Rio Bravo before The Searchers and you'll see what I mean about how different he is. John Wayne was a movie star first, possibly the most iconic, and actor second. He switched them around for The Searchers.

OK thanks for that.

Shame about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, so keep an eye out for it. It's the most solid and pure of all the suggestions, without motive. While it lacks the ambition of The Searchers, it doesn't depend solely on entertaining banter like you may find the (utterly lovable) Rio Bravo does. It's story first, genre second, movie stars last. It had Wayne in more of a supporting role with Jimmy Stewart and if you liked that, the can marked "Worms" would certainly be open! ;)

I keep forgetting about play and checked there. A different edition of the Liberty Valance DVD for only £2.99 so order now placed. I have previously seen and enjoyed this film but many many moons ago.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Rogmeister

« Reply #5273 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
I wouldn't get How The West Was Won if you mainly want it because of John Wayne.  He's in it...but only for about 30 seconds!  But it's an all-star extravaganza otherwise.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: June 14, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
I wouldn't get How The West Was Won if you mainly want it because of John Wayne.  He's in it...but only for about 30 seconds!  But it's an all-star extravaganza otherwise.

Thanks for that Roger, I wasn't looking to get How The West Was Won for the Duke just pointing out that it was one of the two titles I own with John Wayne in it and that will be altered soon with the 4, that Jon mentions above, on their way.

ETA: In fact looking at the production years by decade chart in DVD Pro I need to get more pre-1990 films

1 - 1910's, 3 - 1920's. 5 - 1930's, 29 - 1940's, 33 - 1950's, 83 - 1960's,  121 - 1970's, 260 - 1980's, 950 - 1990's, 1981 - 2000's and 207 - 2010's
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:41:15 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: June 14, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
You have no idea how the Mailman strike is annoying... Normally I would have receive a package yesterday (normal travel time) but of course it isn't here yet. Even better now we get mail only 3 days a week ::)

At least Amazon Canada had a deal with UPS so the package aren't delayed too much. Wich means I will probably get my new DVD reader for my computer tomorrow :yahoo:

As if those mailmen had an hard job... They don't even walk anymore (they have somekind of car to do their mail delivery) and in most cities they don't deliver door to door anymore. I sure don't feel sorry for them and hope to see the federal governement strike them with a special law soon...

RossRoy

« Reply #5276 on: June 15, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »

Battle: Los Angeles
Marine staff sergeant [Aaron Eckhart] and his platoon take on an enemy unlike any they've ever encountered when hostile alien invaders attack the planet in this epic sci-fi action film.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
Battle: Los Angeles
Have you seen this before? Reviews were less than raving so I gave it a pass myself...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5278 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
Two upgrades arrived today:

The Fall

Hero

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5279 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
As if those mailmen had an hard job... They don't even walk anymore (they have somekind of car to do their mail delivery) and in most cities they don't deliver door to door anymore.
Yeah, sure ...
when I was a kid I wanted to become a garbage collector because they only work one day every two weeks and are allowed to ride on the back of the garbage truck ...  :slaphead: