Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856486 times)

Fasteddie33

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #4935 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
Finaly got "The Dark Knight" Blu Ray set in the mail today!!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
All About Steve is the one she got the Razzie for ;)
That means nothing, Uwe Boll got a lot of them and he is one of my favorite director doing film actually :whistle:

They often gave nomination or trophy for no reason, of course all the award ceremony are like that :headscratch:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4937 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

I kept going back and forth on getting this one. I wanted all the Superman movies... but already having the theatrical release version of this movie... I just wasn't sure if it differed enough to make the purchase. I had more then one person recently tell me it is the preferred version... that I had to see it. Still up there on price... so I ordered this one off of an Amazon Marketplace seller.

I am awaiting your review. But knowing you, I will not have to wait long for a review with this kind of movie :)

Defenders of the Earth: The Complete 65 Episode Series
THE DEFENDERS TRIUMPH ONCE AGAIN! - The Complete 65 Episode Series on 5 DVDs!

This is one of those cheap Complete Series sets that Mill Creek Entertainment put out. When I saw all 65 episodes in the series for about $8 I got curious. Some reason it seemed familiar to me... but I couldn't place it. That is when I searched for the intro on Youtube. And I realized it is a show I used to watch all the time when I was a teen. I am now hoping it is something I can watch with Brittany... as she likes superhero stuff so much.

Here is the intro that jogged my memory of the series...

I watched this series as a kid. I have a DVD with a few episodes cut together, but I still haven't watched it completely through.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: April 01, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
I noticed that the Richard Donner cut of Superman II is actually a couple minutes shorter then the theatrical version (if DVD Profiler is right). For some reason that surprised me.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
It is shorter, but it works better. Don't worry it isn't just removing of scenes, some stuff was removed for obvious reason and replace by more worthy materials.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: April 01, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »
I noticed that the Richard Donner cut of Superman II is actually a couple minutes shorter then the theatrical version (if DVD Profiler is right). For some reason that surprised me.

As you know, Donner started shooting Superman 1 and 2 at the same time. Then he was told to concentrate and finish on Superman 1. After Superman 1 they fired him from Superman 2 and Lester finished it. I am not sure about the numbers, but as far as I know, Donner had already about 75% completed of Superman 2. But when Lester came in, most of it was reshot, so that Donner's scenes only were about 25% of the finished movie. This way they only had to credit Lester.
Donner now restored as much as possible from the scenes he shot and only used as much Lester footage as necessary to get a coherent story. I think the Donner cut only has about 25% Lester footage in it. For example you will see a lot of the silliness gone, which were obviously Lester scenes (he directed Superman 3 after all).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: April 01, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
This is probably hoping against hope... but I am hoping (and you don't have to tell me... I can be surprised) :P that the Superman powers invented for this movie is taken out and replaced with something else.

But that is cool... I am now hoping for a fairly different movie. :)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: April 01, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
but I am hoping (and you don't have to tell me... I can be surprised) :P that the Superman powers invented for this movie is taken out and replaced with something else.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: April 01, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »
but I am hoping (and you don't have to tell me... I can be surprised) :P that the Superman powers invented for this movie is taken out and replaced with something else.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I looked at the powers spoiler... but not the ending spoiler.

(click to show/hide)

Also was wondering... how is the quality of the Donner cuts... is there a noticeable difference in the audio/video quality?
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: April 01, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

It has been awhile since I saw it. The first is gone as I said. I am not sure about the second and third. But I always thought the third was something the fortress and crystals did for him.

Also was wondering... how is the quality of the Donner cuts... is there a noticeable difference in the audio/video quality?

I don't really remember. As far as I remember only one scene had noticably bad quality. But it had a reason. It was a scene which was needed, but it was never shot. Only for a screentest. You probably already know it, because it was part of the special features of the first movie. It's the scene where Lois tricks Clark confessing to be Superman by pointing a gun at him.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: April 01, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »
See now I am going to have to pull out the DVD for part 1... I don't remember that scene in the extras. :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »
Thinking about it again, I think the second power you listed is also gone. As for third, I always thought of it that it was an illusion created by the fortress of solitude.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: April 01, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
I don't really remember. As far as I remember only one scene had noticably bad quality. But it had a reason. It was a scene which was needed, but it was never shot. Only for a screentest. You probably already know it, because it was part of the special features of the first movie. It's the scene where Lois tricks Clark confessing to be Superman by pointing a gun at him.
I think there was a few more scenes with lower quality, since the spacial effects had not been finished at the time and they had to patch things up now.

But yes, the use of a scene from the screen-tests is the most distracting...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
Thinking about it again, I think the second power you listed is also gone. As for third, I always thought of it that it was an illusion created by the fortress of solitude.

The second one... the white beams from the finger... I don't think that had anything to do with the fortress. Remember.... they used it early on too. When they used it to lift that guy up in the air. And the kid said "Please Mister, put my dad down!"
Pete