Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857414 times)

lyonsden5

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #915 on: December 09, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
I would recommend any western written by Louis L'Amour. They're not very deep but are quite enjoyable. I especially like the ones with Tom Selleck. Tom Selleck plays a great cowboy, very natural. Look for Crossfire Trail or The Shadow Riders.

If she likes Tom Seleck then I recommend  Monte Walsh, Last Stand at Sabre River and Quigley Down Under.

If she is a John Wayne fan I'm guessing she has McLintock! Probably the silliest John Wayne movie I know of. Great cast. Also the movie with that great scene where John Wayne says:

"... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't! "  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:33:40 PM by Rick »

Najemikon

« Reply #916 on: December 09, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
:redcard: Hang on one gosh darned cotton pickin' minute

Y'all are talkin' about westerns and you have mentioned (In my not so humble opinion) the greatest western ever - The Searchers.
Hell it's one of the greatest filums period.

Another  :thumbup: for Silverado.
How about - Once Upon A Time In The West
Shanghai Noon
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

Back-up a little there, pilgrim! I agree with you. The Searchers is in my top ten, not sitting too far away from Once Upon a Time In the West. However! Dragonfire already dismissed the Dollars films, so I didn't bother mentioning that one. Similarly, from the description, I got the impression she leans more toward the lighter Rio Bravo. She sounds a lot like my mum who loves anything with John Wayne... except The Searchers, because he isn't the full-on hero and even borders on being a villain. For some people, that is just not cricket.

Rio Bravo was made as a response to High Noon and I'll take it any day, but still, it's a good story and has possibly the most beautiful woman to Grace film... ;) It is black and white though, another minus point in this particular request. Hey, I don't make the rules! :P

Najemikon

« Reply #917 on: December 09, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
I would recommend any western written by Louis L'Amour. They're not very deep but are quite enjoyable. I especially like the ones with Tom Selleck. Tom Selleck plays a great cowboy, very natural. Look for Crossfire Trail or The Shadow Riders.

If she likes Tom Seleck then I recommend  Monte Walsh, Last Stand at Sabre River and Quigley Down Under.

If she is a John Wayne fan I'm guessing she has McLintock! Probably the silliest John Wayne movie I know of. Great cast. Also the movie with that great scene where John Wayne says:

"... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't! "  :laugh:

Didn't recognise the name and to be honest, when you mentioned Selleck, not so keen! But I had a look and he did Hondo (another Wayne movie we didn't mention before, Dragonfire), so thanks for the recommendation.

We've got McClintock on the list. Great line. It has one of the best cowboy scraps ever at the top of a mud-slide! Genius.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #918 on: December 09, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
:redcard: Hang on one gosh darned cotton pickin' minute

Y'all are talkin' about westerns and you have mentioned (In my not so humble opinion) the greatest western ever - The Searchers.
Hell it's one of the greatest filums period.

Another  :thumbup: for Silverado.
How about - Once Upon A Time In The West (fantastic opening scene http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZpO6aNLwE plus )
Shanghai Noon
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

The Searchers is one she mentioned that she wanted.  She has Once Upon a Time in the West, Shanghai Noon and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #919 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »

She has the Shadow Riders..I even like that one. :)  She might have Crossfire Trail..I'll have to look.  I know she has Quigley Down Under..she might have Monte Walsh and I have no idea about Last Stand at Sabre River.  I've got to check on that.

McLintock is definitely on the list..that was one she mentioned within the last month after she found it on tv.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #920 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »

Back-up a little there, pilgrim! I agree with you. The Searchers is in my top ten, not sitting too far away from Once Upon a Time In the West. However! Dragonfire already dismissed the Dollars films, so I didn't bother mentioning that one. Similarly, from the description, I got the impression she leans more toward the lighter Rio Bravo. She sounds a lot like my mum who loves anything with John Wayne... except The Searchers, because he isn't the full-on hero and even borders on being a villain. For some people, that is just not cricket.

Rio Bravo was made as a response to High Noon and I'll take it any day, but still, it's a good story and has possibly the most beautiful woman to Grace film... ;) It is black and white though, another minus point in this particular request. Hey, I don't make the rules! :P

She did actually say before that The Searchers would be ok.  She has also said now - after I started asking about different movies - that The Outlaw Josey Wales and Hang Em High would be good too.  I know she said before she didn't want those.  :lol  At first she said no to Unforgiven and then she changed her mind and decided that it would be ok.

I have a good list here now and I'm keeping it for future reference too.  Anything I don't get her this year, I'll end up getting her at some point. 

Najemikon

« Reply #921 on: December 09, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »
 :hysterical:

So she's not so fussy and basically likes any western!  :training:

Well in that case, listen to the Munkey and bump The Searchers to the top. The current edition of both that and Rio Bravo are wonderful.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #922 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
:hysterical:

So she's not so fussy and basically likes any western!  :training:

Well in that case, listen to the Munkey and bump The Searchers to the top. The current edition of both that and Rio Bravo are wonderful.

Just about. lol

I think she just wants more westerns in her collection...she's seen the ones she has tons of times.

Najemikon

« Reply #923 on: December 09, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
You can never have too many Westerns. One of the bedrocks of cinema; I remember on a film studies course ages ago we had to do an essay on genre and I even made Ladykillers a Western, amongst others! John Wayne played the same persona in Brannigan and McQ. Just as a detective, not a sheriff. And you know how I said I thought McClintock had one of the best scraps? THE best is in Brannigan!

Brannigan

lovemunkey187

« Reply #924 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »

Quigley Down Under is a good film, although Selleck does get every scene stolen from him by Alan Rickman.

Another Australian one that is not a nice film but is very good is The Proposition.  But I'd hesitate to show that one to your Mum.

And you know how I said I thought McClintock had one of the best scraps? THE best is in Brannigan!

I'll see your Brannigan and raise you The Quiet Man.  ;D

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 10, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »
I'm a sucker for all those spaghetti westerns. The good, the bad and the ugly!  :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #926 on: December 10, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
And you know how I said I thought McClintock had one of the best scraps? THE best is in Brannigan!

I'll see your Brannigan and raise you The Quiet Man.  ;D

Possibly, but I find The Quiet Man to be such a strangely pointless film otherwise it lessens the impact. But it is brilliant how they end up in the pub and pause for a moment!

Have you seen They Live? That's an amazing scrap! And all over a pair of sunglasses.  I've heard some say it's the longest, but I think The Quiet Man might be longer...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #927 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
It has arrived.

And I also got

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #928 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »
My preorder of The Dark Knight came. :)

I did order some westerns for my mom.  I went with 3:10 to Yuma - the new one - McLintock, The Searchers, and Unforgiven for now.  I may pick up a couple of more...I know that Walmart here has one or two and the store in the mall has Silverado.  So I may add those as well.

Najemikon

« Reply #929 on: December 11, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
My preorder of The Dark Knight came. :)

I did order some westerns for my mom.  I went with 3:10 to Yuma - the new one - McLintock, The Searchers, and Unforgiven for now.  I may pick up a couple of more...I know that Walmart here has one or two and the store in the mall has Silverado.  So I may add those as well.

Damn good selection! Is it open house for a marathon? :P

If you're still thinking of adding more, Rio Bravo has to have a slot.

I thought of an interesting one the other night, Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. Very similar to his later Pale Rider, but with a more intriguing message. He's a mysterious stranger who rides into a town with a guilty secret and he forces them to face that and makes them look silly in the process, including painting the entire town red and naming it "Hell"!

(click to show/hide)