Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857800 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #735 on: September 26, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »
Gokusen II ($28 at HKFlix)
The second season of a real fun Japanese series.
Beverly Hills Cop: Triple Feature ($13.01 at DVD Pacific)
Never seen any of these. I thought that with 13 bucks for all three movies I can go completely wrong
Dexter: Season One ($27.36 at DVD Pacific)
Never seen it. Finally bought it after only having heard good stuff about it.
GTO ($18.77 at DVD Pacific)
The theatrical movie based on a great Japanese TV series.
Smallville: Season Seven ($40.62 at DVD Pacific)
Another season of Smallville. I haven't seen any episode of this season yet.
Itty Bitty Titty Committee ($18.3 at DVD Pacific)
Blind buy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:52:11 PM by Tom »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #736 on: September 27, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
 4€

(Presumed Innocent) 4€

12.99€

(She-Devil) 4€

(Short Circuit) 9.99€

(Stealing Harvard) 4€

4€
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #737 on: September 28, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »
Ah heck, arrived a few weeks back, but I can't bear to omit them from this thread:

I also own carnival of souls and walkabout in my unwatched list Achim, perhaps you can advise when you will be viewing them and I'll parallel my watching, we can compare notes after?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
Ah heck, arrived a few weeks back, but I can't bear to omit them from this thread:

I also own carnival of souls and walkabout in my unwatched list Achim, perhaps you can advise when you will be viewing them and I'll parallel my watching, we can compare notes after?
Well, I just watched Walkabout yesterday.

It's beautifully shot, but a terrible transfer (not the grain, but many specks and stuff). Well, it's one of those early Criterions where they still used the non-anamorphic (be warned) laserdisc transfers.

The story is quite interesting, but gets a little weird towards the end. I enjoyed the filmic devices he used, like the way he did that dream sequence, simple but effective. But if you've seen Nicolas Roeg movies before you'll now what to expect. The acting is quite good from all three kids. Yes, you'll see Jenny's boobs, but keep in mind she's still a teenager here.

I guess we can watch Carnival of souls in October during the marathon.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #739 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
Had a mooch into HMV yesterday and came out £110.00 lighter. :-[
Smallville - S1,S3,S4,S5,S6 = £20.00 each(reduced from cover price of £57.00 each)
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder = £9.99

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #740 on: September 30, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
Smallville - S1,S3,S4,S5,S6
Where is the missing link?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Il Protagonista

« Reply #741 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »
hey there, i hope you guys don`t mind newbie joining  :D

recently i`ve just bought:

- The Lion King Special Edition Boxset 2003 *new (eBay)
- Ducktales The Movie *new (eBay)
- LOTR 1, 2, 3 Gift Collectors Boxset

Touti

« Reply #742 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »

Not at all, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy the place !

lyonsden5

« Reply #743 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

:cheers: Welcome!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 30, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »

recently i`ve just bought:

- The Lion King Special Edition Boxset 2003 *new (eBay)
- Ducktales The Movie *new (eBay)
- LOTR 1, 2, 3 Gift Collectors Boxset

Pete

lovemunkey187

« Reply #745 on: October 01, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Smallville - S1,S3,S4,S5,S6
Where is the missing link?

D'you mean S2?

I've had that fer a while, just been waiting for the other to get to acceptible prices.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #746 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »
- Reba: Season 3
- Reba: Season 4

Pete, something for you to look out for: Reba: Season 5 has been announced (seems like this release has been a long time coming).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 02, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Tom... I will definitely be getting it!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 03, 2008, 07:40:56 AM »
OK... just placed a couple orders... 1 at amazon and the other at Deep Discount. Here is what I ended up with...

100 Years of Horror: Complete Collection
This frightfully fascinating five-DVD set chronicles the history of movie horror from earliest experimental chillers through the unforgettable "golden age of movie monsters" and on through today's graphic horror films in 26 horrific, half-hour shows. Hosted by 'Christopher Lee', the screen's legendary King of Horror, the series features appearances by 'Robert De Niro', 'Jamie Lee Curtis', 'Hugh Hefner', 'Charlton Heston', 'Kenneth Branagh', 'Joe Dante', and many more.

Also featured are rare interviews with 'Boris Karloff', 'Bela Lugosi', 'Lon Chaney Jr.', 'Vincent Price', 'Peter Cushing', and 'Claude Rains'. Included as a special bonus are never-before-seen interviews with the friends and families of the legendary names of horror such as Bela Lugosi, Jr.; Boris Karloff's daughter, Sarah Karloff; Claude Rains' daughter, Jessica Rains, and more.

This set was recommended to me by a couple different people in the last few weeks... well it is real cheap... especially considering it is a 5 Disc Set... so thought I would check it out.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again!: Midnite Movies: Double Feature
THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES
Vincent Price plays a diabolical doc seeking the ultimate in revenge with precision creepiness...and surgical wit! After a team of surgeons botches his beloved wife's operation, the distraught Dr. Phibes unleashes a score of Old-Testament atrocities - from a plague of locusts to an attack of rats - on his enemies that climax in what may be one of "the eeriest endings on screen record" ('Syracuse Herald-Journal')!

DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN!
Vincent Price breathes life back into "one of his most perfect horror villains [in a sequel that's] even better than the original" ('The Hollywood Reporter')! The eminent Dr. Phibes awakens from a decade of suspended animation and heads to Egypt with the corpse of his dead wife...which he intends to resurrect by murdering people in strange and heinous ways to invoke a magical incantation!

A couple more Vincent Price movies for my collection. I have heard nothing but good things about these 2 movies... so thought it was about time I finally got to check them out.

Amityville Dollhouse
A young girl and her parents become the latest victimes of the Amityville curse when they are terrorized by the evil spirits living within her dollhouse in this chilling supernatural thriller.

I never seen this one... but I have enjoyed most of the Amityville movies... so looking forward to checking this one out.

Borderland
When three Texas University students travel to a Mexican border town on the eve of their graduation, the last thing they expect is to face their own deaths. Without warning, they fall prey to an ancient blood cult hellbent on finding candidates for human sacrifice. Based on true events, 'Borderland' tells a story which blends the raw fear of 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' with the stark reality of 'In Cold Blood,' evoking a world soaked in paranoia, fear and dread.

Complete Blind Buy... but I have found I pretty much always enjoy these After Dark Horrorfest movies... so thought it was time to complete the collection.

Campfire Tales
Horror takes a detour deep into the woods in this terrifying cross between 'Scream' and 'Tales From The Crypt', starring Christine Taylor ('Dodgeball') and Ron Livingston ('Office Space').

Returning home from a concert and driving recklessly, four teenagers crash their car on a deserted road. To ward off the cold, they build a fire and wait for help. But the hair-raising stories they tell around the fire put a deeper chill into the night. Each tale is more lurid, more horrifying, more shocking than anything they've heard before. Yet for these unlucky teens in the woods, the biggest shock is still to come...

Another Blind Buy... but I have always enjoyed anthology horrors... hopefully I will enjoy this one as well.

Cemetery Man
'Rupert Everett' (MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING) stars as Francesco Dellamorte, a cemetery watchman whose job it is to slaughter the living dead when they rise hungry from their graves. But following a tragic tryst with a lusty young widow (stunning 'Anna Falchi' in one of three sexy roles), Francisco begins to ponder the mysteries of existence. Is there long-term satisfaction in blasting the skulls of 'returners'? Will his imbecile assistant find happiness with the partial girl-corpse of his dreams? And if death is the ultimate act of love, can a psychotic killing spree send Dellamorte to the brink of enlightenment?

Italian horror master 'Michele Soavi' (STAGE FRIGHT) directed this brilliantly bloody black comedy — also known as DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE — that 'Gore Score' calls "a deliciously demented, delightfully surreal stew of sex, death, splatter, male-bonding, barfing, zombies and nothing less than the Ultimate Meaning of Life!"

Also a Blind Buy... but I had a couple different people recommend it to me... so thought I would check it out.

Chopping Mall
Some people will kill for a bargain...and at the Park Plaza Mall they do! Here, you can shop until you drop...dead!

High tech robots equipped with state-of-the-art security devices have been recruited as the new mechanical "night watchmen" for the Park Plaza Mall. When a jolting bolt of lightning short circuits the main computer control, the robots turn into "killbots"...on the loose after unsuspecting shoppers. Four couples are trying to make it after-hours in a mattress store. They make it all right...in the morgue!

At Park Plaza Mall, you can save on everything but your life! PAUL BARTEL and MARY WORONOV of the hit thriller 'EATING RAOUL' are reunited, plus RUSSELL TODD ('FRIDAY THE 13TH'), BARBARA CRAMPTON ('RE-ANIMATOR', 'FROM BEYOND') and TONY O'DELL ('THE KARATE KID'). 'CHOPPING MALL'...where they slash their prices and their customers!

I am not sure if I seen this one or not... it sounds like a movie I enjoyed when I was a teen. I hope it is the one I am thinking of... because I haven't seen it sense.

The Curse of Lizzie Borden
Nestled within a quiet California town, a museum dedicated to the legend of Lizzie Borden has been opened. Cassy, a beautiful college student is drawn to the museum, taking a summer job as a tour guide.

Cassy is quickly propelled into a mystery of the folklore surrounding the legend of Lizzie Borden. It began to consume her every waking moment. She begins dressing, acting and talking as if she were Lizzie Borden. And there are the dreams. Dreams of blood and death !

One by one her friends are found murdered and her boyfriend Andrew begins to fear the worst. Cassy may be next !

Is some madman killing off all their friends ? Has the ghost of Lizzie Borden come back for a bloody rampage ?

Will Cassy and Andrew be able to stop the killer or will they fall victim to the same fate that Lizzie's parents did so many years ago ?

Untill the final bloody axe falls, no one is safe from the CURSE OF LIZZIE BORDEN.

Once again... a blind buy.

The Descent
On an annual extreme outdoor adventure, six women meet in a remote part of the Appalachians to explore a cave hidden deep in the woods. Far below the surface of the earth, disaster strikes when a rock fall blocks their exit and there's no way out. The women push on, praying for another exit, but there is something else lurking under the earth. The friends are now prey, forced to unleash their most primal instincts in an all-out war against an unspeakable horror - one that attacks without warning, again and again and again.

Another Blind Buy... but one I have gotten recommendations for in the past... especially after I enjoyed the movie "The Cave".

Diary of the Dead
From legendary frightmaster George A. Romero comes "one of the most daring, hypnotic and absolutely vital horror films of the past decade" ('fangoria.com'). Romero continues his influential "Dead" series, this time focusing on a terrified group of college film students who record the pandemic rise of flesh-eating zombies while struggling for their own survival. Intensely gruesome and relentlessly grisly - fueled by the director's signature realistic special effects - 'Diary of the Dead' is must-see horror that "is Romero at his finest" ('bloody-disgusting.com').

I liked all the other Romero Zombie movies so far... so had to check out the newest one!

Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Producer 'John Carpenter' ('Halloween', 'The Thing') presents the third chilling installment in the shocking 'Halloween' collection.

When a terrified toy salesman is mysteriously attacked and brought to the hospital, babbling and clutching the year's most popular Halloween costume, an eerie pumpkin mask, doctor Daniel Challis is thrust into a terrifying Halloween nightmare. Working with the salesman's daughter, Ellie, Daniel traces the mask to the Silver Shamrock Novelties company and its founder, Conal Cochran.

Ellie and Daniel uncover Cochran's shocking Halloween plan and must stop him before trick-or-treaters across the country never come home in this terrifying thriller.

This is one I haven't seen in a long time. I have seen this movie get bad mouthed many times. But I always thought it was pretty good. I think if it was named something other then Halloween more people would enjoy it. I think people are letting the fact that it is a Halloween movie with no Michael Myers ruin it for them.

The Haunting
"It was an evil house from the beginning, a house that was born bad." The place is the 90-year-old mansion called Hill House. No one lives there. Or so it seems. But please do come in. Because even if you don't believe in ghosts, there's no denying the terror of "The Haunting."

Robert Wise returned to psychological horror for this much admired, first screen adaptation of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House." Four people come to the house to study its supernatural phenomena. Or has the house drawn at least one of them to it? The answer will unnerve you in this "elegantly sinister scare movie. It's good fun" (Pauline Kael, "5001 Nights at the Movies").

I have... and enjoy the remake. So thought it was about time to see the original.

Heroes of Horror
Biographies of 5 horror legends on 2 discs. This set includes episodes of A&E Biography on horror legends Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Jr., Bella Lugosi, Peter Lorre and Vincent Price.

Blind buy... but sounded like something I would really like... and was pretty cheap on sale.

Lost Boys: The Tribe
Risking everything in search of the ultimate rush is fun when you know you can't die. 'Angus Sutherland', taking up where brother Kiefer left off in the original cult favorite, is the lead vampire in this modern reimagining of 'The Lost Boys'. The seaside village of Luna Bay is rife with outcasts and plagued by an outbreak of missing persons. As the sun sets, the Tribe rises: a group of adrenalin-fueled, thrill-crazed vampires tears up the surf and the streets with nonstop action. But when a champion surfer ('Tad Hilgenbrinck') and his sister ('Autumn Reeser') move in, dark secrets erupt into hot-blooded passions and full-blooded fear. Helping fight the forces of hell: 'Corey Feldman' in his signature role of vampire hunter Edgar Frog. Once you join the Tribe, there's no turning back.

Another Blind Buy. But I have read the awful reviews.. and been warned by some friends that this movie sucks.. but for some reason in this case I must see it for myself. Who knows... maybe going into it with low (or no) expectations will help me enjoy it.

The Mist
FROM LEGENDARY FRIGHTMASTER STEPHEN KING and Academy Award® nominated director Frank Darabont* ('The Shawshank Redemption', 'The Green Mile') comes one of the most tense and terrifying films since 'The Shining'. After a mysterious mist envelops a small New England town, a group of locals trapped in a supermarket must battle a siege of otherworldly creatures...and the fears that threaten to tear them apart. Starring Thomas Jane ('The Punisher') and Oscar® winner Marcia Gay Harden** ('Mystic River') in one of the year's most talked-about performances, 'The Mist' "is not only one of the best movies of 2007, it's one of the best horror movies ever made. Period." (Maryann Johanson, 'The Flick Filosopher')

Another I have never seen... but I have always enjoyed Stephen King's work... so looking forward to it.

Mulberry St.
The city that never sleeps may shut its eyes for good when a deadly infection turns its residents to savage creatures. There is only hope for a small few, including six recently evicted tenants who must protect their crumbling apartment complex as the city around them is thrown into chaos...

Complete Blind Buy... but I have found I pretty much always enjoy these After Dark Horrorfest movies... so thought it was time to complete the collection.

Night Scream
Driven by unexplainable nightmares of a violent murder, Drew Summers (Candace Cameron Bure) mysteriously arrives in the small town of Steveston, Oregon, on the first anniversary of the death of Laura Fairgate - a young woman who died with her boyfriend (Casper Van Dien) in a murder/suicide that rocked the town.

Ray Ordwell (Denis Arndt), Laura's stepfather, is just concluding a moving speech to launch a week-long festival in his stepdaughter's honor when Drew approaches the stage in a trance-like state and announces that she's Laura. Laura's mother Julie (Teri Garr) wants desperately to believe that Drew really is possessed by her daughter's spirit, but the townspeople, who want nothing more than to put the tragedy behind them, believe Drew is simply putting on an act.

As she confronts a conspiracy of silence from the Steveston residents and the town sheriff (Bobby Hosea), Drew starts to question her sanity. With increasingly vivid images to spur her on, she begins to uncover clues into the strange murder/suicide mystery. But the closer Drew gets to the truth, the more in danger she is of learning what happened to Laura - the hard way.

Another I never seen before... from what I understand this is a TV Movie. It stars Candice Cameron. This one was very cheap and the story sounds interesting... so I figured why not?

Nightmare Man
After receiving a mysterious mask, Ellen Morris believes she was attacked by an evil being she calls "Nightmare Man." Her husband, Bill, believes she is crazy. On their way to the mental hospital their car breaks down and Bill goes to get gas, leaving Ellen alone. When Nightmare Man appears, Ellen takes off into the woods, unsure whether she is hallucinating or not. She stumbles upon a cabin filled with friends who unknowingly becoming prey the moment Ellen steps inside.

The Nurse
When her father kills himself and his family after being named in an embezzlement scandal, nurse Laura Harriman (Lisa Zane, Monkeybone) vows revenge on the man responsible. She soon gets her chance when his accuser (Michael Fairman, Dead Silence) suffers a stroke that leaves him paralyzed and mute - the perfect victim. After becoming his private nurse, the "angel of death" sets out on a psychotic killing spree that will complete her descent into madness and destroy an innocent family... one by one.

This is also a Blind Buy. And another one I got really cheap. So since it sounded like it could be good I figured I would check it out.

Pulse
The year's most original horror film, 'Pulse' takes fear into new territory - the very devices we trust to get us through the day. When the dead discover a means to contact the living through electronic devices, cellphones and computers become open gateways to monstrosities and destruction. Starring Kristen Bell ('Veronica Mars'), Christina Milian ('Love Don't Cost a Thing'), Ian Somerhalder ('Lost') and Rick Gonzalez ('Coach Carter'), 'Pulse' is loaded with terrifying thrills and gruesome special effects, and capped with an astonishing surprise ending.

Another one I never seen. But a good friend recommended it to me... and I really like Kristen Bell (she was wonderful as Veronica Mars) I had to check it out.

Reincarnation
Complete Blind Buy... but I have found I pretty much always enjoy these After Dark Horrorfest movies... so thought it was time to complete the collection. This is also my first true Japanese horror movie. I hope the subtitles will not put me off this movie!

Ring Around the Rosie
In this electrifying suspense thriller, your deepest fears become reality.
Following her grandmother's last wish, Karen (Gina Philips, 'Jeepers Creepers') reluctantly travels to a remote, run-down mansion to sell the family estate where she grew up. Karen soon realizes that she's not alone at the property. Living in the shanty at the horse stables is Pierce (Tom Sizemore, 'Heat'), an odd and mysterious caretaker. With every passing night as she rummages through the dusty house, Karen's fond memories of her childhood turn into nightmares.

Haunted, Karen feels relief when her sister arrives, but things only spiral out of control when Pierce becomes increasingly more violent. Suddenly both women find themselves trapped in a house that preys on their greatest fears. Karen has no choice but to face the horrible memory she thought she put behind her and walk the line between bad memories and deadly reality.

Just a blind buy that sounds interesting and was cheap.

SAW IV
When SWAT Commander Rigg is abducted and thrust into a game, the last officer untouched by Jigsaw has but ninety minutes to overcome a series of demented traps and save an old friend...or face the deadly consequences.

Blind Buy... but I really enjoyed the first 3.

Tooth & Nail
A small group of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world take refuge in an empty hospital with plans on rebuilding society. They rescue a young girl who is the victim of a brutal attack, but soon discover that they were followed by a savage band of cannibals known as Rovers. The Rovers begin to kill them one by one, and the trapped survivors must find a way to outwit their stalkers.

Unearthed
A vicious creature that's been trapped for 900 years, gets unearthed during an archeological dig in the middle of a desolate town. As the carnage escalates, the local sheriff and a group of stranded civilians must find a way to destroy the creature that only has one mission – complete annihilation.

WOW! That was an order and a half! I so love October... stores have some great horror sales! :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #749 on: October 03, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
The Haunting
"It was an evil house from the beginning, a house that was born bad." The place is the 90-year-old mansion called Hill House. No one lives there. Or so it seems. But please do come in. Because even if you don't believe in ghosts, there's no denying the terror of "The Haunting."

Robert Wise returned to psychological horror for this much admired, first screen adaptation of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House." Four people come to the house to study its supernatural phenomena. Or has the house drawn at least one of them to it? The answer will unnerve you in this "elegantly sinister scare movie. It's good fun" (Pauline Kael, "5001 Nights at the Movies").

I have... and enjoy the remake. So thought it was about time to see the original.

I knew it! I said in the other thread, you probably enjoyed the remake. :o Argh! I can actually see you not liking the original. That's it people. Pack up and go home. The world just ended. :suicide:

How can anyone like that film?  :slaphead: