Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 824788 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5940 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
A Few Good Men (Amazon.de)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5941 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »
Today:

Conan [Blu-ray]

Ouch!
Really?

At least this fulfills Jimmy's longtime request not to do remakes of the good, but of the awful movies.
Strangely I seriously doubt that this one is any better than the original though.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: January 22, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »
At least this fulfills Jimmy's longtime request not to do remakes of the good, but of the awful movies.
Strangely I seriously doubt that this one is any better than the original though.
I have no intentions whatsoever to see the remake, but recently purchased the original. While not a high profile movie, I believe it is accepted well in the realms of guilty pleasures...? Violent, stupid dialog, sub-par acting and Arnold punching a camel!

Najemikon

« Reply #5943 on: January 22, 2012, 02:37:10 AM »
Hold up a second! Two points are wrong there... For a start, the original Conan The Barbarian is very far from a bad film. It's fun, epic and honest, almost perfectly pitching the tone of what should be expected from a Conan movie. It even holds up against Lord of The Rings as a proper old fashioned sword and sorcery fantasy. It's dumb in all respects, but the sum of its parts is powerful. A bit like its star!

And secondly, the new film -which I understand is by all accounts deeply awful- shouldn't be considered a remake. There are so many Conan stories, and there was so much they could do to make sure it was an even better adaptation, it shouldn't be compared to the Arnie version.

Same thing this year with Dredd. It is not a remake of that film from the 90s!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:04 AM »
And William Smith is great as usual in this film... I wouldn't call the original a bad movie pre se, but it isn't a favorite of mine (even the comic book was boring to me as a kid, anyone remember it was a comic book before :whistle:). Now if we would talk of Barbarian Queen that would be something else ;D

The remake I couldn't care less... Just seem unworthy of my time as the one of The Thing or the one of Black Christmas.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:03:55 AM by Jimmy »

Rogmeister

« Reply #5945 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
I got two titles today, both featuring documentaries dealing with The Wild West...

The Real West hosted by Kenny Rogers, 8 episodes on 4 discs.  This aired on The History Channel.

The Earp Brothers: Lawmen of the West is an episode of the TV series Biography.

RossRoy

« Reply #5946 on: January 24, 2012, 05:46:33 AM »
Wow it's been a while since I posted here.. Even forgot to post what I got for Christmas! So here goes, what I got for christmas, along with what i got myself in the last month :)

Cowboys & Aliens
Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford star in this action-packed sci-fi western from the director of Iron Man (Jon Favreau) that critics call "wickedly original, unlike anything you've ever seen" (Jake Hamilton, Fox-TV Houston, TX). A stranger (Craig) stumbles into the desert town of Absolution with no memory of his past and a futuristic shackle around his wrist. With the help of mysterious beauty Ella (Olivia Wilde) and the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford), he finds himself leading an unlikely posse of cowboys, outlaws and Apache warriors against a common enemy from beyond this world in an epic showdown for survival.

Le sens de l'humour

Super 8
J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg join forces in this extraordinary tale of youth, mystery and adventure. Super 8 tells the story of six friends who witness a train wreck while making a Super 8 movie, only to learn that something unimaginable escaped during the crash. They soon discover that the only thing more mysterious than what it is, is what it wants. Experience the film that critics rave is "filled with unstoppable imagination and visual effects to spare. It will put a spell on you."*

*Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Fringe: The Complete First Season
Teleportation. Mind control. Invisibility. Astral projecttion. Mutation. Reanimation. Phenomena that exist on the Fringe of science unleash their strange powers in this thrilling series, created by J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Alias), Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek, Transformers), combining the grit of the police procedural with the excitement of the Unknown. The story revolves around three unlikely allies – a young, beautiful and determined FBI agent, a brilliant scientist who's spent the last 17 years in a mental institution and the scientist's sardonic and roguish son – who investigate a series of bizarre deaths and disasters known as "the Pattern." The three suspect that someone is using the world as a laboratory. And many of the clues lead them to Massive Dynamic, a shadowy global corporation that may be more powerful than any nation.

Fringe: The Complete Second Season
Return to explore the boundaries of a mysterious mythology that holds millions of viewers in its hypnotic grasp. This 4-Disc, 22-Episode Season 2 of Fringe contains worlds (and alternate worlds) of excitement complete with shape shifters. cryonic heads, belly-dwelling beasts and people who turn to ashes beofre our eyes. But the overarching narrative takes three clandestine FBI agents through a mind-bending investigation of a parallel reality that threatens to destroy ours. The impossible is here in a series that offers "the most satisfying, coherent story arc of any science-fiction-flavored primetime drama" (Mike Hale, The New York Times).

Fringe: The Complete Third Season
The mystery of the universe deepens in the critically acclaimed 22-episode season of television's most exciting sci-fi. The Fringe team escapes from the parallel universe – except for Olivia, trapped in the other world and replaced in ours by her double, who turns Peter and Olivia's tentative relationship into a love affair. Then Olivia returns, bonds of trust fray, ever more bizarre and terrifying phenomena occur, and secrets that stretch back to 1985 threaten to destroy our universe. Or theirs. "Fringe continues its hot streak known as Season 3. It's been firing on all cylinders all season" (Andrew Hanson, LATimes.com).

Smallville: The Final Season
The series that redefines the origins of the world's greatest hero reaches its powerful conclusion with more revelations and fascinating characters from DC COMICS lore and a mind-blowing, spirit-lifting finale that is everything fans would want. In this 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season 10, super heroes emerge from the shadows, only to be driven underground by a public that labels them vigilantes. At the same time, otherworld forces of darkness gather, presenting CLARK KENT with the greatest challenge of his young life. The world he calls home and the people he loves - including LOIS LANE, who now shares his secret and his life - need a champion. Don't miss all the hopes, heartaches and heroics of a final season to remember. They will lift you up, up and away.

Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is a revolution...an action-packed epic featuring stunning visual effects and creatures unlike anything ever seen before. At the story's heart is Caesar (Andy Serkis), a chimpanzee who gains human-like intelligence and emotions from an experimental drug. Raised like a child by the drug's creator (James Franco), Caesar ultimately finds himself taken from the humans he loves and imprisoned. Seeking justice, Caesar assembles a simian army and escapes - putting man and primate on a collision course that could change the planet forever.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: January 24, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »

Le sens de l'humour

Part of this one was filmed in my hometown. I've no intention of watching this film but the dock scene was filmed at Petit Saguenay :whistle:

The village got this big ugly beluga for this :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5948 on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
Sixteen Candles (1984)

25 Jan - €5.28 (£3.67) @ Amazon.co.uk

Cheaper by The Dozen 1 & 2 (2003 - 2005)

25 Jan - €6.87 (£4.96) @ Amazon.co.uk

Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

25 Jan - €4.40 (£2.96) @ Amazon.co.uk

"About Last Night..." (1986)

25 Jan - €6.23 (£4.44) @ Amazon.co.uk

Pretty in Pink (1986)

25 Jan - €4.77 (£3.26) @ Amazon.co.uk

Ricky Gervais Live (2003 - 2010)

25 Jan - €16.63 (£12.86) @ Amazon.co.uk

St. Elmo's Fire (1985)

25 Jan - €5.39 (£3.76) @ Amazon.co.uk
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: January 26, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »

I was considering getting this. Is the quality (content) consistent...? All I know of his stand-up mainly comes from GrandcTeft Auto IV and I thought that was hilarious (something about charity and something about "going commando").

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5950 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

I was considering getting this. Is the quality (content) consistent...? All I know of his stand-up mainly comes from GrandcTeft Auto IV and I thought that was hilarious (something about charity and something about "going commando").

So far I've just seen a few Youtube videos of him, so I can't say yet.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5951 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
I've seen the first three shows (yet to see Science) and I think the best way to describe his stand-up is that if you watch him present the Golden Globes, it is very similar in delivery but more in-depth and far better structured and thought out. Personally I've enjoyed his stand-up from what I've seen.

Rogmeister

« Reply #5952 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »
Today , I got my package from Kathy as part of her Free Movies sale.  I got 26 titles, mostly westerns, of course.  Thanks, Kath...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:58 AM »
So far I've just seen a few Youtube videos of him, so I can't say yet.
I placed it on my wish list because his humor resonates with me somehow. Well, I can't wait too long for you to watch it, I want to order Sherlock soon and this might go in the same order...

I am just not sure I agree with what he did at th Golden Globes last year. At least some of it was tilting very low. But that stuff isn't on here, so never mind that :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
Today , I got my package from Kathy as part of her Free Movies sale.  I got 26 titles, mostly westerns, of course.  Thanks, Kath...
I knew when I saw those titles in the list that you would grab them ;D

On another note I got this one from Diabolik DVD today (I can't do complete profile because of my situation, but I'm able to do mostly everything except the cast/crew that are too hard to see)
(click to show/hide)