Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855094 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5821 on: December 07, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
0610 - Cruel and Unusual £1.27

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: December 07, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Arrived in the mail today...

A Reason to Believe
The envy of her sorority sisters, Charlotte Byrne (Allison Smith) has everything.  Looks.  Popularity.  And Wesley, a boyfriend and fraternity.  But one might Charlotte attends a party without Wesley...  and falls prey to the overtures of his frat brother Jim, a devious womaniser.  Not one to take no for an answer, Jim isolates and forces a Charlotte into an unwanted sexual encounter.  And that's just the beginning of her nightmare.  Wesley learns of the incident and breaks up with her.  Jim trivialises and boasts of his "conquests."  She's ostracized by her sorority sisters.  But with help from a campus support group, Chart finds her courage and decides to take legal action.  What follows is a profile in strength that leaves none of her values or friendships unchallenged...  and justice hanging in the balance.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: December 07, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
Received today from Amazon Canada

and from Diabolik DVD

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:39 AM »
and from Diabolik DVD

Regardless the film itself, I have read that the picture quality of this Blu-ray is rather poor, so I am struggling if I should get it or nor. It's not a double-dip; if it was the answer was easily "No."...

Maybe let me know what you thought after viewing it..?

RossRoy

« Reply #5825 on: December 08, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
Received today:

Harry Potter: The Complete 8-film Collection
Year 1: Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
The magical adventure begins when Harry Potter is invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Year 2: Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Cars fly, trees attack and a mysterious house-elf warns Harry of great danger as he returns for his second year.

Year 3: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Harry must confront soul-sucking Dementors, outsmart a werewolf and learn the truth about the escaped prisoner of Azkaban - Sirius Black.

Year 4: Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Harry must overcome a deadly dragon, fierce water demons and an enchanted maze only to find himself in the cruel grasp of He Who Must Not Be Named.

Year 5: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
When few believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, Harry must secretly train his friends for the wizarding war ahead.

Year 6: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
As Lord Voldemort tightens his grip on both Muggle and wizarding worlds, Harry and Dumbledore work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses.

Year 7: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 1
Harry, Ron and Hermione set out to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's power - the Orcruxes. On their own and on the run, the three must rely on one another more than ever . . . but Dark Forces threaten to tear them apart.

Year 7: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2
In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »
I had pre-ordered that as well, but mine doesn't ship until the end of the month, as my order included two other pre-order items, the The Inbetweeners movie and Misfits: Series 3, the latter of which is only released on December 26...

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: December 08, 2011, 06:12:39 AM »
...Misfits: Series 3, the latter of which is only released on December 26...

You do know that Robert Sheehan is no longer part of the cast in S3?
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: December 08, 2011, 06:58:57 AM »
Yes, I am aware of this sad news.

While I thought he, or his character, was basically the best thing in the show, I pondered for a while but still decided to get it. From the blog I understood that they basically replaced him with a character that plays very similar (foul-mouthed and all). That seems a bit lazy, but I guess they wnated to make sure the chemistry of the characters remains. I wonder how the new actor will handle it...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: December 08, 2011, 07:01:06 AM »
Regardless the film itself, I have read that the picture quality of this Blu-ray is rather poor, so I am struggling if I should get it or nor. It's not a double-dip; if it was the answer was easily "No."...

Maybe let me know what you thought after viewing it..?
Where did you read that every review website I frequent gave it good reviews...

DVD Verdict
Eccentric Cinema
Mondo Digital
DVD Drive-In
Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's a triple dip for me :laugh:

As much as I would like to comment on the quality that would be impossible as my TV set isn't HD. Weird to watch Blue-Rays on a regular TV but an HD television cost is too high for my actual budget.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: December 08, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »
Well, half of the review you linked point out the print damage, which is apprently the strongest in the opening 10 minutes but then still present through the rest of the movie.

The sites I usually visit and gave not-so-good reviews are:
Blu-ray.com
DVDTalk
High-Def Digest

Admittedly, the screenshots presented at Blubeaver.com look quite alright.

Of course I understand that one has to take into account that this is an old, cheaply made film which is in public domain. So, it is probably the best it'll ever be... (To be fair, most of the reviews took that into account though.) However, only High-Def Digest and Blubeaver.com actually "recommend" a purchase.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: December 08, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
But everything written on Blu-ray.com must be taken with a grain of salt since this is a marketing tool belonging to Sony...

If you want I can post some random screenshots (DVD only) of the three release I own if you want to compare the quality...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
But everything written on Blu-ray.com must be taken with a grain of salt since this is a marketing tool belonging to Sony...
I didn't know. However, I think that is more of a problem when they review Sony Blu-rays, not those of other companies, especially not such old films like this.

Any review is mostly a piece of opinion by the reviewer. ;)

If you want I can post some random screenshots (DVD only) of the three release I own if you want to compare the quality...
Thanks for the offer, but that won't be necessary. I'll keep it on my wish list and if there is a free slot in an order I might go ahead and order it. The screenshots (and review) on blubeaver.com were quite convincing.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5833 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Yes, I am aware of this sad news.

While I thought he, or his character, was basically the best thing in the show, I pondered for a while but still decided to get it. From the blog I understood that they basically replaced him with a character that plays very similar (foul-mouthed and all). That seems a bit lazy, but I guess they wnated to make sure the chemistry of the characters remains. I wonder how the new actor will handle it...

Sheehan was also my favourite character in the first two seasons. I cannot wait to watch the third, though I shall be renting it first. I haven't got the patience to watch one episode a week so purposely missed it during its (current) E4 run. The boy who has taken over is supposedly quite good though. I recognise him from other TV roles and he isn't a bad actor.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5834 on: December 08, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Received today:

Toast

Hanna