Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855573 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5325 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
These arrived today

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy

Cold Fish

Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

kahless

« Reply #5326 on: June 29, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
Bought today:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5327 on: June 29, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
These arrived today

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy

It seems that Warner messed it up again.
Some of the included Audio Tracks (esp. German) seem to be far sub-standard.
Prepare for an exchange program.

Amazon Germany is currently refunding the purchase price of the boxes even with opened shrink-wrap.

Update: Amazon.de stopped shipping the boxset and gave Warner 2 days to solve the problem. New "release" date July 1st.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:18:23 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
It seems that Warner messed it up again.
Some of the included Audio Tracks (esp. German) seem to be far sub-standard.
Prepare for an exchange program.

Amazon Germany is currently refunding the purchase price of the boxes even with opened shrink-wrap.

Update: Amazon.de stopped shipping the boxset and gave Warner 2 days to solve the problem. New "release" date July 1st.

According to blu-ray.com it seems to be just the German editions of Return of the King linkish
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #5329 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »
Dave, whereabouts in the UK are you? I saw this advertised in Sight And Sound and thought of you:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/series.asp?id=1006

If you're anywhere near it might be nice to see some of them on the big screen, especially that one with Helen McCarthy. I remember her from years ago when I used to follow Anime more closely and I'm sure I have one of her books.

Thanks for this Jon  :thanks: :thumbup:.

I'm in Herts, inside the M25 so sort of North West London, which makes this easily doable. Not too sure about the FFC ones though as they state that unaccompanied adults are not allowed and Arrietty is one of the FFC titles and although I have the Blu on order from Japan it would be nice to see it on the big screen. I met Helen McCarthy a couple of times, at various anime/manga things ages ago, and she is a lovely knowledgeable person.

Do you know any children that you could borrow?  :laugh: Mind you, I bet those screenings will have a few distractions anyway. Shame.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5330 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
According to blu-ray.com it seems to be just the German editions of Return of the King linkish
:heat:

...since mine shipped already.

...and props again to Amazon's preorder price guarantee :thumbup: At time of shipping the price was $14 lower than when I ordered and of course they only charged the lower price.

Rogmeister

« Reply #5332 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
I got a package just now.  I had a theme this time...all westerns and all in Blu-ray. 
The Cowboys
The Long Riders
Once Upon A Time In The West

The Cowboys has more extras than I was expecting for a $9 movie.  There's a director's commentary, vintage featurette, cast & director reunion featurette and the trailer.  No extras are listed on the case for The Long Riders but maybe they tossed in the trailer?  There are lots of extras listed for the third film and. It includes both the restored and theatrical versions.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
Congrats Roger... I am hoping to make an order tomorrow morning. Am planning on adding to my TV Series Collection. Maybe work my way closer to 150 completed series! :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: July 01, 2011, 06:19:54 AM »
There are lots of extras listed for the third film and. It includes both the restored and theatrical versions.
I understand the Restored version is actually just a few seconds longer....? I read what it was somewhere, but forgot where I found the information and what it said :bag:

EDIT:
I found some information that apparently 39s were added. Not sure yet what it is.

Found this review on the AVS Forums:

Theatrical Cut vs. Restored Version

Once Upon a Time in the West, like many of director Sergio Leone’s works, was heavily cut to cater for ADD audiences in the States, abbreviated by about half an hour minutes to remove a fair number of dialogue scenes, and ‘slow bits’. International audiences received much longer versions, but even the longest of these were still missing a few minutes of footage from the original 175 minute Italian ‘Director’s Cut’. And the edition presented here on this release is basically the longest International Cut available, dubbed here the ‘Restored Version’. It’s the most complete (166 minute) English-language version available – I don’t think that there are any longer prints available which include anything other than the Italian audio.

Now, the confusing thing is that there is the option to play two versions on this disc – the ‘Theatrical Version’ and the aforementioned ‘Restored Version’.  Fans would be forgiven for assuming that ‘restored’ meant that they finally had access to the 175 minute version, and that the theatrical cut was the one we’d all been used to. Instead, both of the versions included on this release are nearly identical in runtime. There’s only about 40 seconds’ difference between the two – both represent the longest English-language cut, but, at the time, there were a couple of brief shots which included an actor who was blacklisted in Hollywood at the time – and so they had to be removed. He’s a non-entity, an insignificant character who has just a couple of minor lines, but, for the restored version, they’ve seamlessly re-integrated the shots.

It’s a shame because, not only do we not get the longest version available (justifiably because of language restrictions, but it is still a shame that we don’t have the technology to create new audio for these scenes), but we also don’t get any of the previously available shorter cuts for comparison (the Special Collector’s Edition SD-DVD sported an even shorter 159-minute cut). I would think that it’s fairly universally accepted that the 140 minute US cut is completely redundant, so there’s no love lost in not including that in this package, but some fans might argue that it would have been nice to have the alternative 159-minute International Cut included here for a truer comparison (which, most notably, did not include the moment where Harmonica gets up after being shot, and which therefore implied some kind of otherworldly power in his appearance later on - a nice touch which Leone was begged to change because the studios feared that audiences would walk out after seeing Bronson get shot, and not get up). Honestly, I don’t really mind as we do technically still get the definitive English-language edition, but to offer a so-called ‘restored’ and ‘theatrical’ version, only for fans to find out that the two are almost indiscernibly different, is just a big tease. They should have just released it as one version – or given us a completely different alternative.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:43:12 AM by Achim »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
I got up early first thing this morning so I went ahead and placed the DVD order I was planning for today. Not ordering anything last month I'm afraid I might have went a little overboard this month. With the huge amount of movies given to me lately... I concentrated on nothing but TV Series for this order...

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Complete Sixth Season
The Complete Sixth Season

After the fantastic 2 part season finale at the end of the 5th season I just couldn't help but to order season 6! I will definitely be looking forward to continuing this series!

House M.D.: Season Four
Prepare for even more baffling, complex and shocking medical mysteries than ever as every season four episode of 'House' arrives on DVD! Reunite with the preplexing and prickly Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie in his two-time Golden Globe®-winning role) as he tackles impossible cases while putting a new staff of potential team members - including Kal Penn ('Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle'), Peter Jacobson ('The Starter Wife'), and Olivia Wilde ('The Black Donnellys') - through the medical wringer with his trademark sarcasm and irreverent bedside manner. Get ready for another dose of one of TV's most original dramas and what 'Entertainment Weekly' calls "One of the most compelling characters in TV history."
House M.D.: Season Five
Hugh Laurie returns to his Golden Globe®-winning and Primetime Emmy® Award-nominated role as Dr. Gregory House in House: Season Five! House pushes new boundaries in medicine while dealing with emotional chaos as personal and professional boundaries blur in all 24 episodes from the compelling fifth season. Featuring guest appearances by Primetime Emmy® Award winner Zeljko Ivanek (Damages), Mos Def (The Italian Job) and Carl Reiner (Ocean's Thirteen), House is the Primetime Emmy® Award-winning series that critics rave is "...a terrific show with an A-list cast and first-rate writing..." (Michael Starr, New York Post).

Another series I just had to continue. I got so hooked on this series this past month that I watched the entire 3 seasons I got for my birthday in only 24 days! I found the next two seasons cheap... so had to get them both!

Party of Five: The Complete Third Season
The wait is over! Join the Salingers as they experience new loves, losses and life-changing lessons in the third season of the Golden Globe Winning Series "Party of Five" (1996 - Best Television Series, Drama). In this powerful season, Charlie (Matthew Fox) copes with Kirsten's emotional departure; Julia (Neve Campbell) comtemplates the prospect of college and rekindled romance; Claudia (Lacey Chabert) takes charge of home maintenance; and a struggling Bailey (Scott Wolf) turns to alcohol and risks losing everything, including Sarah (Jennifer Love Hewitt). Packed with turmoil and triumph, "Party Of Five: The Complete Third Season" delivers all 25 episodes, including the unforgettable "Intervention" that puts the Salinger bond to the test.

This one is a bit of an odd case for me. This makes the first three seasons (All I Believe that is available) But I have yet to watch more then the first disc of the first season. It was enough to know I like the show... but for some reason it is a show I am not in that much of a hurry to watch. Don't really make sense... I know... but I did want it.:P

Sci-Fi Box Set (Jason of Star Command / Space Academy / Ark II)
These Galaxy-spanning sets serve up a timeless dose of nostalgia with 'Ark II', 'Space Academy' and 'Jason of Star Command' . Sit back as Jason and the Star Command team take on the villainous Dragos who aims to control the galaxy. Hop in the Ark II and take a ride through the post-apocalyptic dunes with John, Ruth, Samuel and their super-intelligent chimpanzee, Adam. And finally, suit up with the Space Academy as they explore distant planets and learn their lessons on a floating asteroid.

JASON OF STAR COMMAND
Working from within a secretive section of Space Academy, a daring soldier of fortune named Jason joins with his friends to combat the sinister forces that conspire to dominate the stars. Jason is aided on his missions by Commanders Carnavin and Stone, computer expert Nicole, strong alien Samantha, eccentric scientist Dr. E.J. Parsafoot, and two robots, Peepo and the portable W1K1. Together they face the evil machinations of Dragos — the self-proclaimed "Master of the Cosmos" — and his alien minions aboard the Dragonship.

SPACE ACADEMY
Class was never this much fun at your school...the students at Space Academy major in adventure! Under the guidance of their instructor Commander Isaac Gampu (played by Lost in Space's Jonathan Harris) the young cadets attending Space Academy in the year 3732 include Captain Chris Gentry his telepathic sister Laura Gentry action-oriented Tee Gar Soom brainy Lieutenant Paul Jerome and the pretty young Adrian Pryce-Jones. Joining the Blue Team for learning and adventure are the robot Peepo and the blue-haired mysterious orphan Loki.

ARK II
The year is 2476 and Earth has become a biological wasteland. Roaming the scorched land aboard the futuristic vehicle Ark II are 3 young scientists and their extraordinary companion: Jonah, the handsome leader who flies into action with his Jet Jumper backpack; Ruth, the beautiful medic; Samuel, the young technological genius; and Adam, a hyper-intelligent talking chimpanzee! Using the advanced technology aboard the Ark II and the smaller Ark Roamer, their mission is to bring the hope of a new future to mankind!

This boxset has the complete series of all three Sci-Fi series from the mid to late '70s. I like having shows from when I was a kid... 2 of the 3 series in this set I somewhat... but not really remember. The 3rd I don't remember at all. This purchase has me a little nervous... but getting the set so cheap... I had to go for it!

Scrubs: The Complete Seventh Season
Get ready for an extra dose of laughs, and enjoy every surreal moment as television's celebrated sitcom hits new heights in its sensational seventh season.

Elliot, Turk and Carla may be growing older but they aren't necessarily growing up, even as career changes, family issues and love invade the quirky world of Sacred Heart.

The best way to enjoy the contagious comedy of Season Seven is on DVD, complete with exclusive bonus features –including a behind-the-scenes look at the "fairytale" episode directed by Zach Braff, bloopers and alternate lines. It's off-the-charts entertainment you'll want to watch over and over again.

Continuing my Scrubs collection. A series I have really enjoyed so far. I am a bit bummed that this season only lasted 11 episodes... the shortest season of the entire run! The final 2 seasons are also shorter then normal... but not as short as this season. Maybe this was the year of the writers strike?

Trinity Blood: Chapter I
Two races, locked in a struggle for existence, tremble on the brink of war, some seek the path to a peaceful coexistence, while others pursue a dangerous shift in the balance of power...

Abel Nightroad, a touring priest for the Vatican, walks calmly where others dare not tread. A member of the formidable AX, tasked with the protection of the fragile equilibrium, neither human nor vampire, with an awkward yet optimistic nature, this father is a force wholly his own. Appearances are often deceiving...

In one of the boxes of free DVDs I got this past month I got Volume 2 of this anime series. I didn't want to watch volume 2 before getting the chance to see volume 1... and I found it very cheap (less then $5!) so I went ahead and ordered it!
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5336 on: July 01, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5337 on: July 02, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: July 02, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »
I am so weak... I just couldn't help myself! I just ordered a few more TV Shows. I just placed an order for...

Blade: The Series: The Complete Series
The legendary vampire hunter is reborn in Blade: The Series, collected here for the first time in its action-packed entirety. When the evil House of Chthon unviels a plan to infiltrate and overthrow the human race with a new vampire super-breed, only Blade (Sticky Fingaz) and a newly transformed ally (Jill Wagner) can save the world from entering an undead darkness.

I missed this series when it originally ran. So never seen a single episode. But it is one I really been wanting to check out. The only thing that really concerns me is if I can get used to someone else playing Blade. Anyone here watch this show? How does this guy do in the role?

Crusoe: The Complete Series
Get ready for the adventures of the world's most famous castaway as every thrilling episode of Crusoe comes to DVD! Loaded with action, exciting inventions and romance, the ultimate battle for survival begins as Robinson Crusoe (Philip Winchester) sets sail for the New World. But after a dangerous onboard attack, he finds himself stuck on a remote tropical island with only the assistance of native friend Friday (Tongai Arnold Chirisa) to help him prepare for his hopeful journey back home. Co-starring Sam Neill, it's the spectacular series that critics declare "makes you a willing captive, whatever your age, giddy at its spectacle and adventure" (Frazier Moore, Associated Press).

This is another show I never seen before. But it is one my brother recommended to me. It was one of his favorite series at the time. Hopefully I will like it too.

Mercy: The Complete Series
From the co-executive producer of Friday Night Lights comes the intense and heartfelt drama Mercy. Nurse Veronica Flanagan Callahan (Taylor Schilling, Dark Matter) has recently returned to her hospital job after a volatile tour in Iraq, and knows more about medicine than all of the residents combined. In order to navigate the domestic landmines of her personal and professional worlds, she’ll need the camaraderie of her fellow nurses Sonia Jimenez (Jaime Lee Kirchner, Rescue Me) and Chloe Payne (Michelle Trachtenberg, Gossip Girl). This 5-disc set contains all 22 episodes presented uninterrupted in Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and includes a stellar ensemble cast featuring James Tupper (Men in Trees), Diego Klattenhoff (Supernatural), Guillermo Diaz (Weeds), James Le Gros (Ally McBeal) and a guest appearance by James Van Der Beek (Dawson’s Creek). Bold, realistic and instantly gripping, Mercy is unlike any depiction of the medical community you have seen before.

This is the one show I did watch when it aired. It is a medical drama that I really enjoyed at the time. Looking forward to watching it again.

Like I said... I really feel like I went overboard this month. Spent more money then I should have really. But at least I got them all for a good price. I spent almost $25 on all three titles combined. But because I feel like I did go overboard this month I decided to cancel my pre-order for this month... so won't be getting Dennis the Menace: Season 2 right away. But I am sure I will get it later.
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5339 on: July 02, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Couldn't resist Amazon's 3 for € 25. So today I received:

The Town The Shining The Goonies