Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857069 times)

Najemikon

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #4740 on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
that's ok :)

I just looked at the back of the box... it says...

4X3 Letter box  Presented in A "Matted" Widescreen Format Preserving the Aspect Ratio of its Original Theatrical Exhibition.

I admit I don't know too much about the aspect ratios... but that sounds a bit weird to me for some reason.  :-\
the first part seems a fancy way to say non-anamorphic. The rest is o.k. Movies are often filmed on 4:3 film stock and then latter a matte is applied (possibly as late as in the cinema) to create the widescreen effect.

I think there was a Pioneer release of Bride of Re-Animator which actually showcased this. They presented the open matte film in 4:3 and by choosing an option in the menu they would apply the matte and you could see the theatrical 1.85:1 version.

What he said...

It's called soft-matte, where the cinematographer films in full frame, but accounts for a widescreen presentation. Main cause of boom mikes appearing in shot; the director would have assumed we'd never see it when a theatrical screen would cover it. This is most common for 1.85:1.

Hard-matte is when they use widescreen, anamorphic lenses to actually alter the frame in such a way it can only be shown in widescreen. Usually how much wider, 2.35:1 is done.

Mind you, I bought Wonder Boys on 4:3 full screen ex-rental DVD. Later I found the widescreen retail version, but was shocked to find they'd matted it to 2.35:1!!!  ??? Two thirds of the original image had been lost! I noticed when I realised I couldn't see Katie Holmes's sexy red boots in the scene where all she is wearing is a grey t-shirt and sexy red boots...  :-[

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4741 on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
The Expendables

05 Mar - €13 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg

Double Impact

05 Mar - €5 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg

Knight and Day

05 Mar - €10 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg

The Running Man

05 Mar - €9 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg

The Town

05 Mar - €12 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg

Universal Soldier

05 Mar - €10 @ DVD-Börse Ludwigsburg
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: March 05, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
These arrived today

Operation: Endgame

Game Of Death

Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4743 on: March 07, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »
Sunshine Cleaning

My Name Is Bruce

Bambi

Flawless

I wasn't really planning to get Bambi, but my mom decided to get it for me.

Rogmeister

« Reply #4744 on: March 07, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
Bambi is interesting...I've seen it in two size cases.  The one you picture looks like the DVD-sized case I first picked up...then a few moments later, I saw it in the normal Blu-ray sized case and I got that one instead.  Thus, for now, all my Blu-rays have the same size cases...

Fasteddie33

« Reply #4745 on: March 07, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
In the mail today...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4746 on: March 07, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
Bambi is interesting...I've seen it in two size cases.  The one you picture looks like the DVD-sized case I first picked up...then a few moments later, I saw it in the normal Blu-ray sized case and I got that one instead.  Thus, for now, all my Blu-rays have the same size cases...

Disney has been doing this for their movies for some reason.  If I had bought it myself, I would have gotten the Blu-ray case.  But this one was a gift.  So I'm not complaining.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:27 AM »
In the mail today...
I liked Highh Tension when I saw it originally (despite plot holes and all) as well as Feast. Feast is a balls-to-the-wall horror flick which just keeps coming. In my opinion the first sequel has nothing of that charme (I found it downright terrible) and therefore I never bothered with part 3.

Fasteddie33

« Reply #4748 on: March 08, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »
Cool,I have not seen either one yet,but looking forward to watching them this week..

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #4749 on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
Larks on a String (released 14th March)
Dobermann (released 25th April)

Received both today for www.dvdcompare.net comparisons. :)

Rogmeister

« Reply #4750 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »
Yesterday I received the following...

Legion of Superheroes, Volumes 1-3 (DVD)
All-Star Superman (Blu-ray)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »
Arrived Today....

Pete

kahless

« Reply #4752 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Arrived today from amazon.de:

Smallville Season 8

Rogmeister

« Reply #4753 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
I found the following title waiting for me when I got back from having my car worked on...

This is Ellery Queen Mysteries, a whodunit mystery series that aired on NBC in the 1970s.  This includes 22 hour-long episodes plus the pilot on 6 discs.  It looks like the only extra other than the pilot is an interview with series co-creator William Link.  Well, they count the booklet as a special feature, too.  It's a pretty nice booklet...but still...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4754 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
Paa (Amazon.co.uk)