Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855185 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #2985 on: April 27, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »
Received this on Saturday:

Welt am Draht *

* as seen purchased/recommended by goodguy.

Well, I hope that doesn't turn into another disaster.  :fingerchew:
Matthias

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 27, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »
  Ma mère (FR 2004)
R2-UK Revolver Entertainment (2005)

Most people who (like me) loved Christophe Honoré's Dans paris and Les chansons d'amour didn't seem to like this one, but I have to see for myself.
  The Complete Jean Vigo
R2-UK Artificial Eye (2004)

Contains:
À propos de Nice (FR 1930)
Taris, roi de l'eau (FR 1931)
Zéro de conduite: Jeunes diables au collège (FR 1933)
L'atalante (FR 1934)

To be honest, I'm really only interested in L'atalante (never seen it), but this seems just too good a release, covering the entire small body of Vigo's work and having some great extras.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #2987 on: April 27, 2010, 03:28:11 AM »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 27, 2010, 06:18:12 AM »
Well, I hope that doesn't turn into another disaster.  :fingerchew:
I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.

Wouldn't blame you though, as it was more that I saw your purchase and the comment that it was similar to The Matrix rather than a full-out recommendation. It seems that it is split into two parts, just like it was shown on TV, I may want to wacth it the same style, sprewad over two evenings.

:hmmmm: MAYBE I'll start tonight.

It was a good kid's movie, and also served good for nostalgic adults (the characters were really spot on). But the story was rather weak.
What I disliked the most about the movie was the character played by Bully. He just felt so forced into the story, only so that Bully could have a role in his film.
O.k., that I can agree with. Story was nowhere special and Bully's character was completely out of place and stupid.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:19:52 AM by Achim »

lovemunkey187

« Reply #2989 on: April 27, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »

RossRoy

« Reply #2990 on: April 28, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »
I would seem spending an hour in a DVD store waiting for your new glasses to be made can turn out to quite an expensive endeavour*:

Mad Men: Season Two
Mad Men: Season One
The Boondock Saints
The Lovely Bones
Clash Of The Titans
Robin Williams: Weapons of Self Destruction

* It could've been much worse.. I saw quite a few Anime and TV series boxset that were interesting.. but I refrained.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2991 on: April 28, 2010, 06:24:50 AM »

I wasn't sure I wanted Avatar, but then a few days ago I was in a store that had the Blu-ray playing and I was dazzled by the images again..and I think the colors look better without the 3D.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2992 on: April 28, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
Die Ärzte: Die beste Band der Welt (... und zwar live!) (Amazon.de)
"Die Ärzte" are my favorite German band. I cannot believe that I missed two DVD releases last year.
This one is a recording of a concert in 1988.
Die Ärzte: Overkiller (Amazon.de)
Ten years ago they released a DVD with all their music videos from the 90s. Now they released a DVD with all their videos from the last decade.
Herbstmilch (Amazon.de)
A German classic I have never seen.
Defending Your Life (Amazon.de)
I remember seeing it years ago and I had enjoyed it.
Der Brandner Kaspar und das ewig' Leben (Amazon.de)
Until now I only know the recent version with Bully. This old version is said to be really good.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 29, 2010, 06:14:25 AM »
Well, I hope that doesn't turn into another disaster.  :fingerchew:
I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.
I don't feel like making a review-post, so I'll let you know here that I enjoyed it and would rated it a solid .

It's a bit too long, but that may be related to its TV origins. Acting is generally good, although the impact dampened by the fact it's a complete dub-job. The dubbing also misses a lot of ambient noise, so it is unfortunately rather sterile. in hindsight, the latter my be a little bit on purpose.

I would say the stroy is closer to The Thirteenth Floor than to The Matrix (which it is referred to on the back cover).

The impact on the original audience must have been bigger. The marketing team making a reference to The Matrix on the back cover was probably good for sales, but totally removes the eeriness of the first episode.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
The impact on the original audience must have been bigger.

I've seen the original airing as an 11-year old kid. It was a mind-boggling experience. Made me immune against almost everything that passes as sci-fi in mainstream movies and TV.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:30 AM »
I've seen the original airing as an 11-year old kid. It was a mind-boggling experience. Made me immune against almost everything that passes as sci-fi in mainstream movies and TV.
I can only imagine... Not only seeing it without similar films having preceded it, but also at such a young age.

karmesinrot

« Reply #2996 on: April 30, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »

Najemikon

« Reply #2997 on: April 30, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
Did you get your t-shirt? I meant to say, Play deliver everything separately and I've had a couple of shirts from them before, so it didn't surprise me you wouldn't get them at the same time.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 30, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
Arrival of the day

Saving Private Ryan

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

karmesinrot

« Reply #2999 on: April 30, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Did you get your t-shirt? I meant to say, Play deliver everything separately and I've had a couple of shirts from them before, so it didn't surprise me you wouldn't get them at the same time.

I haven't had it yet, phoned the guy on Saturday and he said he would expect it to be sent seperately. I'm giving it till Saturday then phoning again. I'm going to be so pissed if I don't get it coz that was pretty much the reason I ordered from Play, and it was well in advance of it being sold out!