Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 826674 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #2580 on: January 23, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »
That is awesome Jimmy!  :thumbup:

All the Smallville I been watching... when I typed your name all I could think of was Jimmy Olsen!  :laugh:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #2581 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
Jimmy (...), he's one of very few I know liked it to the end.
I like it even more in its last 2 seasons ;D
Must of the viewers watched the serie only for Duchovny, but it's their lost not mine since Robert Patrick is a much better actor... I agree the first 2 episodes of the season eight wasn't great, but compare to the complete season 7 they were...

I never watched it for Duchovny! More a certain red-head... :devil: But seriously, it was the stories and style that had me hooked. Saying that, he was untouchable as Mulder and Patrick was a good replacement, but the show lost its heart. I also like him in Californication. Robert Patrick is a much better film actor, but on there, I don't know.

And you are a very good Uncle... ;)

snowcat

« Reply #2582 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
...I always had a soft spot for Duchovny.... was quite sad when he went  :-[

richierich

« Reply #2583 on: January 24, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
ordered and on order;

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:17:29 PM by Rich »

snowcat

« Reply #2584 on: January 24, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
I was wondering around Ebay and found a sealed copy of the french edition of Brother Bear... I instantly fell in love with the art work and got a winning bid of £1.70 :)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: January 24, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks to a review I read here...

... got the complete series, a blind buy

Who reviewed that? I mean, it is good, but it's a fairly old British sitcom. Bit random!

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,864.msg93329.html#msg93329

Just finished watching the first 'season', a damn funny show and definitely better than its American counterpart.

But can someone across the pond explain the short season run. Is that standard procedure over there?

snowcat

« Reply #2586 on: January 24, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Antares, British series tend to have only 6-8 episodes a season... most programs over hear generally last onl;y about 39 episodes (series combined) unlike you crazy yanks and your huge seasons :tease:

..This is because a Birtish series is generally written by one writter or a small team who don't have time to write a huge series. :(

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »
So basically, it is truly a 'seasonal' season.  :laugh:

So how many new programs do you get in a given year, if all the shows only last 6 - 8 weeks?

snowcat

« Reply #2588 on: January 25, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
...I honestly have no idea how many we get a year, probably a few more then the US but we also get alot of US television over here, its really only the 4 0f the 5 main channels that show a majority of british TV those are
BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4... SKY and Virgin Media (our satellite networks) show the majority of American tv and repeats.. for example a spin off of Channel 4 (E4) shows Friends and Scrubs around 6 - 8 times a day (in hour blocks) its often a joke amongst people (and the channel itself) that it will just play another episode of Friends.

...once the channel was having problems with there broadcast, the voice over man even said... "maybe we will just show another episode of friends"

;P I guess thats why Seasons are called Seasons though!

...Some series break the mould things like Waterloo Road (a school drama), Holby City (A hospital Drama) and other similar dramas often last a season... (still called series over here though  :P)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2589 on: January 25, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »
Switch Reloaded: Vol. 2 (Amazon.de)
Was on sale.
Switch Reloaded: Vol. 3 (Amazon.de)
Was on sale.

Najemikon

« Reply #2590 on: January 25, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
So basically, it is truly a 'seasonal' season.  :laugh:

So how many new programs do you get in a given year, if all the shows only last 6 - 8 weeks?

Expanding on what Emma says, it's worth remembering that we have a lot of regular programming that other countries have the equivalent of but don't seem to gain the same audience. Things like soaps. Here it tends not to be "do you watch soaps?", more "which soaps do you watch?". The two big shows are Eastenders (BBC) and Coronation Street (ITV), the latter has been on since the 60s! Emmerdale, also ITV, brings up the rear. Any one of them on a good day can pull in about 16 million viewers and major storylines get reported in the papers. These shows are on every night, apart from weekends. So finding room for new stuff can be tricky!

We have a lot of dramas too that only have a few episodes a season, but each episode can be two hours. The current popular one is Kenneth Branagh in Wallander, about a Swedish detective.

Also, because we have relatively few channels, documentaries get taken for granted less and there is a strong political vein. A new David Attenborough programme like Life is a big thing (hence why March of the Penguins failed to find a solid audience in this country; we get that stuff weekly and better!).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2591 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:34 PM »

Can you already say something about?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

Also, because we have relatively few channels, documentaries get taken for granted less

Now this would make me happy, if it were the same over here.

I remember as a child, there was always a new National Geographic or Underseas World of Jacques Cousteau on TV. Sadly, we now get reality shows and American Idol or Jay Leno. Ah, the dumbing down of America.  :suicide:

richierich

« Reply #2593 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:59 AM »

Can you already say something about?

Not yet unfortunately, dvd not due until 8th February. I was recommended it as being very close to the best selling book, a rarity in its own right. And primarily bought for other half who enjoys a good love story

lovemunkey187

« Reply #2594 on: January 26, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
Received yesterday;
The Boondock Saints - limited collectors edition -R2Denmark (I've also contributed to the db  :o).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:25:44 AM by lovemunkey187 »