Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856857 times)

lovemunkey187

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1140 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
Alfred Hitchcock (£17.98 at HMV)
I never have seen any Hitchcock movie  :bag:
They just never seemed to be movies I would particularly enjoy. But maybe I was mistaken and they are my cup of tea. So I decided to buy this bargain. It includes the following movies:

:o£17.98? Amazing bargain

Can I shuffle some payments :hmmmm:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1141 on: February 24, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
:o£17.98? Amazing bargain

Can I shuffle some payments :hmmmm:

By the way: It is also available at Amazon.co.uk for £16.98

If a few more buy it, we can do a Hitchcock marathon :laugh:
No seriously, I would take part in it ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:39:11 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #1142 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »
I'd definitely be up for that marathon. I have a couple of early ones too I've never got around too, so give me a head start!  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 24, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
sounds like fun... but afraid I wouldn't have enough of them  :(
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1144 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
Then get some! The quality of your collection would double with a single Hitchcock boxset... ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 24, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »
I'd definitely be up for that marathon. I have a couple of early ones too I've never got around too, so give me a head start!  :P

Should we wait with the marathon until after the Bond marathon, or start it in parallel some time? Is there anyone who wants to take the chance for a marathon to go buy some Hitchcock movies?

Jon, apropos earlier ones: Do you know "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"? If yes, is it worth to buy it?

Najemikon

« Reply #1146 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »

Should we wait with the marathon until after the Bond marathon, or start it in parallel some time? Is there anyone who wants to take the chance for a marathon to go buy some Hitchcock movies?

Jon, apropos earlier ones: Do you know "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"? If yes, is it worth to buy it?

Actually, I think that and To Catch A Thief are his only misfires. To be fair, To Catch A Thief is OK, but has nothing of substance. Mr & Mrs Smith is a rare attempt at romantic comedy and it just doesn't work, in my opinion. Certainly not when he's following Capra, and Preston Sturges is just around the corner as well. It seems to me that Hitchcock, who normally created conventions rather than following them, somehow felt he had to join in with the current fashionable genre. However it is part of the Signature Collection, which is otherwise marvellous, containing:

Strangers on a Train
Dial M for Murder
Foreign Correspondent
Suspicion
The Wrong Man
Stage Fright
I Confess
Mr and Mrs Smith
North by Northwest

There are a couple there that qualify for his best work. The others are very good too, aside from Mr and Mrs Smith. ;)

The one I had in mind that I haven't seen yet is Lifeboat.

I'm happy to have Hitch-athon anytime, but I'm concious I have very few Bond movies and will only be joing in occasionally.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 24, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
checking my collection... I only have 4 hitchcock movies....

- The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) {Never Watched}
- Sabotage (1936) {Never Watched}
- Psycho (1960)
- The Birds (1963)

Not even enough for a decent Weekend Movie Marathon!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
However it is part of the Signature Collection

The R1 Signature Collection you are probably talking about, is not very cheap. But I found this one. This would nicely complement my other collection set. But it is missing "Foreign Correspondent", "Suspicion" and "Mr and Mrs Smith" compared to the R1 collection. Are the first two must-haves? (I know you don't think the third one is).

Najemikon

« Reply #1149 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Ah, yes. I remember why I bought the Region 1 now. I got it off Ebay so did quite well.

Foreign Correspondent and Suspicion are both excellent, but have dated, in the same way his British work has (39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes). I wouldn't mourn their omission too much when you'd still be getting several of Hitch's very best for that price. You'd be getting towards that price anyway if you tried to get North By Northwest and Strangers on a Train separately at least, which I consider absolutely essential.

richierich

« Reply #1150 on: February 24, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
Ah, yes. I remember why I bought the Region 1 now. I got it off Ebay so did quite well.

Foreign Correspondent and Suspicion are both excellent, but have dated, in the same way his British work has (39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes). I wouldn't mourn their omission too much when you'd still be getting several of Hitch's very best for that price. You'd be getting towards that price anyway if you tried to get North By Northwest and Strangers on a Train separately at least, which I consider absolutely essential.

Strangers on a Train is a must have  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 25, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »
checking my collection... I only have 4 hitchcock movies....
Not even enough for a decent Weekend Movie Marathon!  :P
You beat me, I don't even have one of his movie in my collection :laugh:

and I don't want to have any of them... ok, maybe Psycho one day

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1152 on: February 25, 2009, 04:44:39 AM »

I could do this..I have some Hitchcock movies.  I just got one set...and I have like...4 or 5 others too.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 25, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »
I own the R1 Masterpiece Collection (Psycho / Vertigo / Rear Window / The Birds / Shadow of a Doubt / Family Plot / Frenzy / The Man Who Knew Too Much / Marnie / Rope / Saboteur / Topaz / Torn Curtain / The Trouble with Harry), which basically seems to mirror what Tom bought and am considering to add the Premire Collection (Lifeboat / Spellbound / Notorious / The Paradine Case / Sabotage / Young and Innocent / Rebecca / The Lodger), mainly for Lifeboat, Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca. In total that should give me most of Hitchcock's MUST-HAVEs (with capital letters, as opposed to just must-haves...).

So, in short, Id join a marathon.

Najemikon

« Reply #1154 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »
and I don't want to have any of them... ok, maybe Psycho one day

Ok, so you need your arm twisting to get Psycho, but not Lizzie bloody Borden? I don't get it! :hmmmm: You, sir, are a curiosity... :tease: