Author Topic: Woo-hoo!!!!  (Read 24629 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Woo-hoo!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 07:17:59 AM »
Wait for Jon :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
 :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Wait for Jon :laugh:

My thoughts exactly. When I first read Antares' comment I almost typed a response myself. I changed my mind however, thinking I would wait to see what others would make of it, Jon in particular.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
Bait not taken :P

Not meant as bait, but as statement of fact.

I do not intend to expend any more energy in fruitless exchanges over that insipid plagiarist.

Case closed

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 05:51:55 PM »
"Case closed"!!??!!  :voodoo: That mean you've finished?

"Then allow me to retort..."  :P

Isn't it hard watching movies with blinkers on? :tease: Because clearly you do with Tarantino films. Coming out the same year as Kill Bill, Oldboy is an absolutely superb film, but with many similarities; ergo, Tarantino fans would enjoy it, so the label is a fair way to get an arty, subtitled foreign piece out to a new audience.

As a director though, Park seems inconsistent. Oldboy was very much the high point of his revenge trilogy, with Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance the first (more of a drama, yet strangely less credible than its sequel) and Lady Vengeance which was just a strange mess that lacked substance. As did his odd contribution to Three... Extremes.

He's good, but not good enough to warrant such a dismissal of QT.

By the way, I see I missed an earlier comment re: Army of Shadows. No, I haven't seen it, but I want to. I tended to avoid French film, until I discovered Le Samourai, also by Melville, which I loved.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Coming out the same year as Kill Bill, Oldboy is an absolutely superb film, but with many similarities; ergo, Tarantino fans would enjoy it, so the label is a fair way to get an arty, subtitled foreign piece out to a new audience.

I'm not a Tarantino fan, but I did enjoy Kill Bill. Oldboy on the other hand is the movie that sqashed all my intentions to explore modern Asian cinema.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
That's a shame, Matthias, but I do understand. I lent the film to a work colleague and he had a similar reaction. All three films in the vengeance trilogy have a core of depravity; ironically, in comparison, Kill Bill is vaguely sentimental by the end of part 2! 

While there are similarities in the stories (revenge, extraordinary skills, alternative identity), both directors also share a naivety. But Tarantino has done more to overcome it and even when he hasn't, it comes out more palatable.

Matthias, I cannot implore you enough to reconsider In The Mood For Love. I said after I reviewed it, that I felt it was something you could enjoy and you have just reinforced that view. Not because I'm trying to get you hooked on Asian cinema, but simply because it is a film with a truly beautiful heart and a lyrical pace. I'm sure Antares would agree with me there at least!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
Matthias, I cannot implore you enough to reconsider In The Mood For Love. I said after I reviewed it, that I felt it was something you could enjoy and you have just reinforced that view. Not because I'm trying to get you hooked on Asian cinema, but simply because it is a film with a truly beautiful heart and a lyrical pace. I'm sure Antares would agree with me there at least!

Wholeheartedly

Another Asian film I just finished was Kikujiro. About halfway through I couldn't understand why anyone would consider it heartwarming in any degree. But by the end, I was sold on it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
Hey Jon, just checked my library queue and it looks like Jackie Brown is on the way.

I'll tell you, I'm watching, on average, 2-3 films a day since I started this.

I may never buy a DVD again.  :o

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Wich will have as a result less and less title released.... After that people wonder why there MGM, Blue Underground, Dark Sky Films doesn't release a lot of their title and why Image Entertainment went bankrupt :-X

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
Jimmy, distributors have got to move with the times and the rental based services are marvellous. I doubt I'll buy many more since I signed up with LoveFilm. In my experience, the average Profiler user is a very rare beast in the real world and most people would be aghast at the number of DVDs one person can buy!

At least this is an alternative to piracy. :shrug:

Jackie Brown, Antares? Colour me shocked!  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »
At least this is an alternative to piracy. :shrug:
No...

Piracy is easy to solve if the governement stop to play the fools, pass real tough law, put some of those criminals in jail for a long time, give very high fines and force the internet provider to give them the download and upload traffic of their clients.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
I stand corrected...

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/743-eclipse-series-23-the-first-films-of-akira-kurosawa

Ohhhhhh, dear.  :bag: :hysterical:

Piracy is easy to solve if the governement stop to play the fools, pass real tough law, put some of those criminals in jail for a long time, give very high fines and force the internet provider to give them the download and upload traffic of their clients.

Which they will never do, otherwise they already would have. I find it interesting that every country has the same issue yet no Government has attempted to tackle it the way you describe.

In fact, I happen to know that a retired policeman, very local to me, was found to be running, with his son, what was at the time one of the biggest DVD copying operations in Europe. He made a fortune. They had him bang to rights, a high-level pirate with no excuse and a great example to be made of, considering his career was in the police. Do you know how they punished him?

They didn't. Simple as that.

:weep:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
Sorry for the hijacking Antares

They try but there the whinning "privates lifes" group who appear and big deal out of this everytime. The canadian governement, for one, try for years to change the copyright laws since our actual one make our country an heaven for a lot of torrent pirates (wich is a real shame since it place us at the same level that China and Hong Kong are). I can't wait to see this finally happen...

As you probably know already, I work for some dvd label (without pay but with occasionals compensation in the form of free stuff or insider information) so I know what the piracy really do (information that I can divulge of course). Day after day I report copyright violations and make Rapidshare, Megaupload, Mediafire and all the others service alike delete illegal stuff. Of course it's easy with those since you can easilly bring them in front of a court of law, but nearly impossible with the torrent like service unless the law forcing the internet provider to give the downloading/uploading number of their clients pass.

The problem is nothing new, even me I've copied VHS tape that I rented but it's nothing compare to the actual problem.