Author Topic: Woo-hoo!!!!  (Read 24628 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Woo-hoo!!!!
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Living in the smallest state in the country does have one advantage. Rhode Island, because of its size, has one of the better library exchange systems in the country. Because it's only 70 miles from top to bottom, you can request items from other libraries in the state, and you usually get them within a week's time. The only downside to this system was that you could only request books from the other cooperating libraries around the state.

Well, according to a librarian I was conversing with his afternoon, the state has changed its policy on video matter. Now you can request DVD's to be sent to your local library for your personal use.  :yahoo:

I was just at the Westerly library and could not believe the amount of films on my wishlist that were there. They must have had close to sixty Criterions in their stacks. I just grabbed Withnail and I, Unfaithfully Yours and Night and Fog. And I get a week to watch them for no charge.

Supposedly, the woman who does the video purchasing for the library is a big film buff and uses her budget wisely. I couldn't believe some of the films they had.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Woo-hoo!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Keep an eye out for sales. My library gets lots of donations and several times a year sell books and DVDs.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:59:44 AM »
Now you can request DVD's to be sent to your local library for your personal use.  :yahoo:

Out of curiosity: Do you have to pay a fee for that? I live in a large German city and not only do I have to pay a yearly fee for using (any of) the public libraries, but also for each book or DVD delivered via library exchange.
Matthias

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »
Now you can request DVD's to be sent to your local library for your personal use.  :yahoo:

Out of curiosity: Do you have to pay a fee for that? I live in a large German city and not only do I have to pay a yearly fee for using (any of) the public libraries, but also for each book or DVD delivered via library exchange.

It's absolutely free, no matter how much stuff you request. It's the only part of my tax dollar that's spent wisely and to my benefit. :dance:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:22 AM »
Do you know if that is different from the old days...? I remember when I was a kid and used the library a lot it was still completely free.

I lived in a small town and there was a bus coming each week with a smaller selection of books. Stuff they didn't carry you could ordere to be delivered the following week.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:42:36 AM »
Do you know if that is different from the old days...? I remember when I was a kid and used the library a lot it was still completely free.

I lived in a small town and there was a bus coming each week with a smaller selection of books. Stuff they didn't carry you could ordere to be delivered the following week.

When I last used a library about 15 years back they just began introducing a small monthly fee. But nothing for the actual renting. But since our municipalities are chronically broke I could imagine that they build up a new revenue stream.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »
But nothing for the actual renting. But since our municipalities are chronically broke I could imagine that they build up a new revenue stream.

To be fair, if you rent something that's available in the library you visit, you usually don't have to pay anything except your monthly or annual fee. (*1) But if you want to place a hold on an item rented by someone else, you have to pay a fee. Likewise, delivery and return of items via library exchange costs extra. This can bring you up to almost 3 EUR per item.

---
(*1) Except for the so-called bestseller service, which means you have to pay another fee (2 EUR per item) for newer and popular stuff.
Matthias

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Wow, that's great Antares! Our library charges for CDs and DVDs, and like Kathy said they often sell them off after a while, however they are often not in the best condition, occasionally even unplayable.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »
Library fees are included in property taxes so if you don't own your own home you don't pay anything. The only exception  is if you request a book or DVD then they will charge you 50 cents. I'm sure they make a lot of money in over due fines - DVDs are free for a week then they charge a dollar a day (you can take books out for a month).

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:31 AM »
Just finished watching Withnail and I, what a fantastic film. I've been wanting to see this for years, it definitely was worth the wait. Richard E. Grant was amazing.

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
I love it. It's so quotable! And you're right about Grant. His little monologue at the end is sublime...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
I had to take Britt to the doctor today (Don't worry... she is fine)... on the way home we stopped by our local library... thought I would find something a little different to watch for this weekend. Unfortunately they have maybe half the movies they did the last time I went (several months ago)... but they did have some more TV Series. I ended up borrowing the whole first season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. This is one of the Star Trek series I never seen before (this one and Voyager).... so I wanted to check it out.  I have 7 days to watch the entire season.

Brittany also came home with a few dvds.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
OMG Jon, I've actually found a film by Preston Sturges that I don't like. Unfaithfully Yours is sub-par at best.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »
I haven't seen that one. Somehow though, I've never really like Rex Harrison. The Blithe Spirit is very popular, but very old and clunky so I really struggled with it. I wasn't sure it was his fault, but I wonder now, because on paper, Unfaithfully Yours should be good.

My least favourite Sturges, but it is at least a valiant effort with a clever narrative, is The Great Moment.