Author Topic: How About Jodie Foster?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: How About Jodie Foster?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:03:18 AM »
I just realized something... I can't order too much more then what I already have on pre-order since next month is my birthday!

But that is ok... keep the suggestions coming! I will be putting them on my wishlist!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
I love Maverick..I just watched it again recently and finally got it reviewed on Epinions.

The Accused is also very good.  Sommersby is good though I didn't like something that happened. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »
What do you all think of The Accused?
One time again I will be the devil's advocate on this. To be honest it's a very poor Hollywood movie on this subject, Jodie Foster doesn't deserved at all the accolade she got from this film... It was so brave from her! Give me a fucking break... You want to see what is brave and what a rape is like for a woman? Check Day of the Woman, yes it's a film hard to watch but Camille Keaton show in it what is a good actress.

I think the same think everytime a mainstream actress or actor is congratulate or received an oscar for something that was made better and in a much realist way in lesser known films.

Critter

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:03:43 AM »
I don't think I have any Jodie Foster film in my collection but without a doubt I can say that my favourite role of hers, out of the ones I have seen is Taxi Driver.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:47:39 AM »
The other ones I own that haven't been mentioned: Nim's Island, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Inside Man and A Very Long Engagement.

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:02:09 AM »
What do you all think of The Accused?
One time again I will be the devil's advocate on this. To be honest it's a very poor Hollywood movie on this subject, Jodie Foster doesn't deserved at all the accolade she got from this film... It was so brave from her! Give me a fucking break... You want to see what is brave and what a rape is like for a woman? Check Day of the Woman, yes it's a film hard to watch but Camille Keaton show in it what is a good actress.

I think the same think everytime a mainstream actress or actor is congratulate or received an oscar for something that was made better and in a much realist way in lesser known films.

But as Antares has already demonstrated, The Accused was a real story, so it's all about context. It wasn't an award for "Best Rape Victim", but an award for playing a real character.

Isn't Day of the Woman actually I Spit On Your Grave? I've heard that's based on truth, but it hardly matters. I find it absurd to even think of comparing that with The Accused! I know I'm biased; I haven't seen Grave properly, but I've seen enough to know I never want to. Clumsy, nasty, exploitive. It has an agenda that I seriously doubt many women who have been victims of rape would identify with. They can with The Accused.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 03:23:50 AM »
But as Antares has already demonstrated, The Accused was a real story, so it's all about context. It wasn't an award for "Best Rape Victim", but an award for playing a real character.

I don't get the obsession about being based on a true story. (*1) That doesn't make a movie any better than a purely fictional one. Still, I do think that JF was terrific in The Accused and the movie is one of the better takes on that kind of story. Similarly, The Brave One is one of the better revenge movies, again with a great performance by Foster.

---
(*1) Wasn't there a Fargo discussion planned around here?
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:13 AM »
I think it does matter that it was a true and, in fact, a fairly well known case, but I didn't mention it to support the film more on this occasion. Just that it may imply that they wanted viewers to identify strongly with the characters and the situation. I Spit On Your Grave is, IMO, the worst sort of revenge movie as it degenerates what happened into an excuse for righteous carnage and retribution. It's no better or worse than a Death Wish.

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 03:39:10 AM »
But believe me Jon, the one film it took me forever to see was A Clockwork Orange. I just watched that a few months ago for the first time. :bag:

I can understand that more, but I'm biased. A Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK, so when it was finally released it was hard not to see it! :laugh: I don't like it anyway and find it overrated, so both of those points mean I dismiss it. Taxi Driver, I can't dismiss... :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 03:59:08 AM »
I know I'm biased; I haven't seen Grave properly, but I've seen enough to know I never want to. Clumsy, nasty, exploitive.
Yes you are Jon... you haven't see the film and you already had a wrong idea about it. How many time was I accused of the same thing here? Watch it and after that I will consider your oppinion on this. At least I've watched The Accused before doing the comparaison...

Most of the people who had watched the 2 movies seriously shared my oppinion on this. You sound like Roger Ebbert when he had reviewed this film...

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 02:14:15 PM »
Like I say, I have seen enough of it to know it isn't something I want to see properly. I do know that many of the accusations against it are unfounded, but the very fact it is a story about how she deals with her attackers herself makes it a revenge story and that is a core difference with the intentions of The Accused.

By the way, I'm not entirely questioning the validity of the story independent of anything else. Just that it's very easy to see it goes on a different road to The Accused and therefore, I don't think they can be compared. Jodie Foster's film is about due process. ISOYG is about cutting a blokes balls off.  :shrug:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
I can understand that more, but I'm biased. A Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK, so when it was finally released it was hard not to see it! :laugh: I don't like it anyway and find it overrated, so both of those points mean I dismiss it. Taxi Driver, I can't dismiss... :thumbup:

IIRC A Clockwork Orange was never banned. Stanley Kubrick asked Warner UK to withdraw the film following a media furore, probably led by The Daily Mail, after a couple of supposed copycat murders and rapes and because he and his family were receiving threatening mail. Warner agreed to his request and kept the film off the screens until after his death.

Any way back to the matter in hand. Hows about, guys 'n gals, Backtrack starring  Ms. Foster with Dennis Hopper and directed by Alan Smithee (Dennis Hopper).

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Rogmeister

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »
Surprisingly, I have a handful of Jodie Foster  movies on DVD I still haven't gotten around to watching...

The Accused
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
The Hotel New Hampshire
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane
Nim's Island

After reading about The Accused, I'm not exactly driven to see that one.  I feel it may not quite be m y thing.  Nim's Island is obviously aimed at young girls but I thought it might be interesting since it's not the thriller kind of film she's concentrated on mostly for the last several years.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
The only one I have I never seen before is Foxes. I haven't watched The Brave One since I got the DVD... but I have seen the movie before.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »

IIRC A Clockwork Orange was never banned. Stanley Kubrick asked Warner UK to withdraw the film following a media furore, probably led by The Daily Mail, after a couple of supposed copycat murders and rapes and because he and his family were receiving threatening mail. Warner agreed to his request and kept the film off the screens until after his death.

Any way back to the matter in hand. Hows about, guys 'n gals, Backtrack starring  Ms. Foster with Dennis Hopper and directed by Alan Smithee (Dennis Hopper).

Dave

Ah, yes. That's correct, thank you, Dave.

Now, this Backtrack. Is it any good? You never know with "Alan Smithee"...