Author Topic: We got robbed!!  (Read 2401 times)

RossRoy

We got robbed!!
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
Looks like we just got robbed at home..

I still don't know what was taken since I'm at work, but my dad just called and told me we got robbed. All jewelry was stolen from his room (this includes old, irreplaceable family heirlooms) and the kitchen laptop was also stolen..

That's what he's aware of so far.

Needless to say I'll be taking full inventory this weekend of my DVD, just to be sure....

Somehow, I really don't feel like working anymore.....

Najemikon

Re: We got robbed!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Ah, no, Sébastien, that's dreadful.  :(

Never happened to me, thank goodness, but the idea of someone's home being violated just sickens me.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »
Never happened to me, thank goodness, but the idea of someone's home being violated just sickens me.

The original message I wrote would've shown how sickening I think it is to violate someones home like that.. but upon re-reading the message, I deleted some part of it ;)

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
....Uhh, April Fools?  :bag:

...If not, that is horrible, I mean... ive never been robbed but my grandparents were once... it was terrible!

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »
I would my dad sounded way too aggravated for it to be an April's Fool... but yeah I didn't even consider it... but it's not my dad's type to make an April Fool, and I could hear the policeman talking on the phone...

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
That really sucks Sébastien.  I had my car broken into once and it sucks.  The even took my eyeglasses.  That was the one that really got me mad.  The stereo I get, the spare change, sure, the CDs they actually missed.  But to take something that was of no early value to them.  And they were my favorite glasses of all time.  Never found another pair of frames quite the same.

So I'm sorry to hear of your bad news.  It's horrible to be violated like that and have no one to unleash that anger and frustration on.

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
We used to have a Jeep Wrangler back when I was way younger. We woke up one morning and all we found was the car frame mounted on woodblocks.

They had taken the seats, the doors, the body parts, the wheels, even the hardtop! As well as the radio, the steering wheel, the seats, the bag full of hockey equipment (goalie equipment to make it even worse!)...

I mean, if you're going to go that far, just take the whole damn car! Why leave the frame and engine? That's pretty much all that was left...

What aggravates me the most is that the jewelry isn't worth all that much for your average joe or even a jeweler.. but it had a lot of sentimental value. They are irreplaceable. There's no way we'll find anything like them again. And that's not even counting the fact that it is "memories" going all the way back to my great-great-grandmother! (probably even further, we just couldn't find evidence of it) ...

And to think the police will just take the deposition and it'll be filed somewhere in the unsolved/unsolvable cases. <pffft>

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
Sorry to hear that Sébastien

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Rogmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »
I'm also sorry to hear about it.  I've never had my home broken into but I have had a few smaller robberies...

Once, on my way to work, I stopped at a convenience store to pick up a few magazines.  When I got back into my car, I found someone had gotten in my car and stolen my lunch.

While I was at work another time, someone stole my wallet.

And another time while at work (coincidence?), someone put my car on blocks and stole my rear tires and wheels.  That was a 1973 Gran Torino.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
So sorry to hear this! :( I couldn't imagine how it feels. :(

But I must say it does remind of the story my brother read the other day. A 19yr old boy robbed a house here in the town I live... had bags of stuff at the door ready to go out. But he got caught... how? He must have gotten tired and decided to take a break... ended up falling asleep and he was still there sleeping when they got home!  :slaphead:
Pete

Touti

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:37:48 PM »
I mean, if you're going to go that far, just take the whole damn car! Why leave the frame and engine? That's pretty much all that was left...

Probably because they knew these are marked.  Seb that really sucks but honestly I don't know what I'm most sorry for you about...............having been robbed or having to do another full inventory of your collection.  :tomato:

Critter

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. We have a family friend who was seriously robbed once and it was horrible for them. Just last week my autnie also had $3000 worth of stuff stolen right from her car. It's so horrible when anyone is robbed to any degree.

karmesinrot

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:08 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear that!  :o 
Someone broke into our house and stole a broken video player once..last year someone smashed the window of my dad's car and took his satnav, a memory stick with music on and an expensive jacket but they eventually got caught. It really does take the lowest of the low to steal someone's hard earned possessions.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »
Oh no. Sébastien, I can not imagine what you and your family are going through. I am grateful no one ones home because it could have been so much worse. I don't even know what to say. A dear friend always says something to me when he hears things like this: "What goes around comes around". We can only hope they get the comeuppance they deserve. 

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »
Well, on the positive side, all they seem to have made out with is what I mentioned above: the Asus netbook (basically a piece of crap), some non-descript jewelery (not the heirlooms!  :yahoo:  turns out they were elsewhere), and a pot of pocket change (which must have had just about 100$ in it, and it's change I wouldn't have used myself anyway. I was going to give it to my nieces when it was full).

My movies haven't even been touched. They opened a few drawers here and there, but with all the crap in my drawers it'd be tough to make out with anything valuable.

All my collectible figurines are still there. Even the small electronics like portable hard drive and xbox games haven't even been moved.

Also, they didn't break anything. They managed to force open a window, but they didn't break it.

So I'd say given the circumstances, it's not too bad.

I just reset the router with new wireless settings. I've changed my passwords. I'm so glad I never did any banking on this laptop now ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:56:11 AM by RossRoy »