Author Topic: Incredible....  (Read 1447 times)

lyonsden5

Incredible....
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:43:06 AM »
Last week I had my first real day off in almost two years. Nothing to to. No deadlines sitting on the horizon. I just finished a project that took a year and my next job wasn't ready. So, what did I do? I went to Disney World  :yahoo:

There is nothing like Disney World at Christmas time. It really is a magical place. We did a quick trip around EPCOT, shot over to the Disney Hollywood Studios (formerly know as MGM Studios), and ended the day the The Magic Kingdom. At the Disney Studios we were absolutely amazed at a new addition to their spectacle, well it was new to us. Not sure how long they have been doing it.

It is called the "Osborne Family Dancing Lights". Long story short the Osborne family (and not Ozzy  :laugh: ) had so many lights they bought the houses open either side of them to display their lights. It them became so massive Disney bought their display and continued to build on it. Disney has taken one of their 'back lot' type streets and turned it into what you see below. Then the take the whole thing add add music, with the lights tuned into the music so they "dance".

Pictures cannot do it justice. It was truly breathtaking. Oh yeah... they make it snow too. The evening we were there it was 71 degrees and snowing  :laugh:

link to more pics

Just wanted to share this with you. If you are ever near Orlando Florida around Christmas you have to make your way to see this show.

VibroCount

Re: Incredible....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:37:59 AM »
Ah... the Main Steet Electrical Parade applied to buildings!

How cool!

Yes... any of the Disney theme parks are amazing during the holiday season.

I seem to visit Disneyland every 5th anniversary -- having gone the year it opened, 1960, 1966 (a year late), 1974 (a year early), 1985 (missed '80), 1990, 1995, 2000, and 2005. I have gone many times each year (since 1985, buying a yearly passport) and also hit it on an off year here and there as well, but I cannot stop going. My youngest will attend her senior grad night there this coming June. If she doesn't attend Stanford, she plans on attending UC Irvine & working there as a "face" cast member.

My old business partner was the last Goofy who was allowed to talk.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:09 AM »
Quite amazing indeed!

Since the pictures don't do justice I thought a video might give a little more insight:
Osborne Dancing Lights at Disney MGM

m.cellophane

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:09:44 AM »
Very cool!  :cheers:

I got to see it in 2004 and hope to see it again in 2008.  ;) (Cliff and I, both West Coasters, have a similar visiting pattern it seems.)

I went to the Very Merry Christmas Party (or whatever it's called) in '04. Got to walk around eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate in the tropical weather, listening to Christmas music.  :laugh:

VibroCount

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:39:06 PM »
I would imagine they have it at other Disney parks, but one of my favorite things at the holiday Disneyland is the inclusion of the toy soldiers from Babes in Toyland in the holiday parade.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
That looks like lots of fun Rick.  I'm almost as far away as you can get in the continental US (NW Oregon), but it would be fun to make the trek some day.