Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds (2009)  (Read 18058 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Inglourious Basterds (2009)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:11:43 PM »
For those of you too young to remember they were two extremely talented boxers.

That was at some time in the past millenia, wasn't it?

:tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »
I don't know why but reading Jon and Antares reminds me of watching the Mohammad Ali and Joe Foreman go 12 rounds.

Thanks Kathy, but it's Joe Frazier.

I'll gladly hang my hat with Frazier, he was a street brawler with the moxie to floor Ali back in their first fight.

For those of you too young to remember they were two extremely talented boxers. They were so different and yet they matched up perfectly. To watch them was artistry in motion.

Jon is the prime reason I love this forum. I post my reviews and await with baited breath, his response. I can have an intelligent discussion about films and film making and it never denigrates to below the belt stuff. Of all the people I've known and discussed cinema with in the last 25 years, his is the opinion I've respected the most.

Cheers Muhammad!  :cheers:

(click to show/hide)

Critter

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
That really was amazing to read. Once again I'm going to have to side with Jon on this one but that whole debate was fascinating. I knew it was going to be good but phew, neither of you want to back down your opinions and it makes for a great read.

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »
Well, thank you, Antares, that means a lot and I can honestly say the same of you.  :drunk: I have several offline friends interested in films to various degrees, but they are all lightweights compared to you! They only put up with my ramblings so far...  ;)

We've got a great international cross section of people on here and it's good we can all share yet have very different tastes. There aren't many such places where Jimmy could be so open about his collection on one page and find someone talking about monster movies or German TV on another. In the early days of this forum, there was a guy called himself Sailor Ripley. I believe he was a writer by profession and I think you'd have got on well with him too. Shame though, he hasn't been around for a long time.

I don't know why but reading Jon and Antares reminds me of watching the Mohammad Ali and Joe Foreman go 12 rounds.

Well, Joe somebody, but what the hey. No-one ever compared me to a boxer before! I'll take that...  :dance:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 02:35:15 AM »
Hey Kathy, did you know that today is the 40th anniversary of the first fight between Muhammad Ali & Joe Frazier?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:47 AM »
Although I remember the fight, I didn't remember that it was so long ago. I really am getting old.

I have a good size collection of Ali fights - I haven't watched them in years - I'll have to see if this fight is one of them.

You bring back a lot of memories - I loved boxing since I was little.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:19 AM »
Although I remember the fight, I didn't remember that it was so long ago. I really am getting old.

I have a good size collection of Ali fights - I haven't watched them in years - I'll have to see if this fight is one of them.

You bring back a lot of memories - I loved boxing since I was little.

This fight was always a favorite of mine. Just seeing Ali get knocked on his ass and Frazier breaking his jaw with that left cross is priceless.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »
Jon, I know you say you didn't get much out of Coffy or Foxy Brown but please please please check out Black Mama, White Mama. It's Grier's most underrated IMO.

hal9g

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 05:13:38 AM »
 :popcorn:

These discussions are second in entertainment only to actually watching my DVDs!   :hysterical:

Quite enjoyable!   :clap:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
I love reading these debates. While I stand on Antares' side of the fence, Jon does bring up valid arguments.

Point of note, though, I truly feel Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best work because the source material (Elmore Leonard) was so fantastic. I would actually love to see Tarantino do more of Leonard's work.

VirtualScot

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
Write a pretentious review about how a film is overly pretentious....emmm ok. The film is suppose to be pretentious and flawed that's the point. It's a mix of high and low art.

And your not pointing out anything new with Tarantino and his prolific genre sampling. Did you suddenly expect him to stop this after almost 20 years?

It's so easy to be a total cynic about Tarantino. There not really suppose to be thinking mans films, but just a celebration of certain genres and films.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
Can someone tell me where that new ignore user feature is located? I can't find it.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
Can someone tell me where that new ignore user feature is located? I can't find it.
Here: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php?action=profile;sa=pmprefs

EDIT: Just tried it and it actually works
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:04:18 AM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:06:28 AM »

Thanks, works great

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »

I didn't realize that we had that ability - thank you for the information.