Author Topic: Hello from Seattle!  (Read 5490 times)

Clueless in Seattle

Hello from Seattle!
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »
Hi!  I'm a disabled senior who used to love to go to the movies, but I have trouble getting out much these days, so I've taken up movie collecting on DVD (and before that, on VHS).

I became disabled by a poorly understood chronic illness nearly twenty years ago, exhausted my savings, and now try to scrape  by on a very small monthly Social Security benefit, so I rely on mostly hand-me-down and used electronics.

I buy mostly used DVDs (and VHS tapes of movies that haven't made it to DVD). 

One project I'd like some help on is figuring out how to transfer my VHS movies to DVD (so that will probably be the first topic in the regular forums).

Critter

Re: Hello from Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Hello and welcome to DVD Collectors! You must have some pretty old and rare movies for them to not have DVD releases yet, I'm interested in seeing what they are. I think you will fit in well here as there are many others who also have a fondness for older films

snowcat

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
Hi and Welcome.

To transfer VHS to DVD you need a capture card, I believe it plugs into you VHS and a DVD recorder it then records one to the other.

Of course this also is very time consuming. :(

Heres a good guide

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11484
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:16:22 AM by Emma (snowcat) »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

You might be interested in a web site that was designed to keep things out of land fills. Everything on it is free - you can give things away or ask for things you need. I see electronic things on there almost every day. Go to this website and then type in the area you live in: freecycle.org

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
Welcome to the Forum! Unfortunately I can be of no help on transferring from VHS to DVD. But look forward in seeing any reviews you post for the movies you have. Don't worry... pretty much none of us here do professional reviews. Just movie and TV Show lovers giving our opinions!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
Hi Clueless, thanks for joining!

Hi and Welcome.

To transfer VHS to DVD you need a capture card, I believe it plugs into you VHS and a DVD recorder it then records one to the other.

Of course this also is very time consuming. :(

Heres a good guide

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11484

Emma, I used to transfer VHS to DVD like this, but it's pointless now. The best method is to just get a stand-alone DVD recorder, plug the VHS player in the back and that's it. Press play on the tape, press record on the DVD and Robert is your mother's brother, as they say. ;)

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
Jon im not familiar with that way of doing it... how interesting. Mind you ... its only short home movies that I ever bothered to transfer.

Clueless in Seattle

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
You might be interested in a web site that was designed to keep things out of land fills. Everything on it is free - you can give things away or ask for things you need. I see electronic things on there almost every day. Go to this website and then type in the area you live in: freecycle.org

Hi Kathy!

What a nice surprise to find another FreeCycler here in this group on my first day.  I'm starting to feel right at home already. 

I've been Freecycling for years via FreeCycleSeattle. My apartment would be virtually empty were it not for FreeCycleSeattle.  The better part of everything I own came from that group, though I'm having a harder time getting out to pick up stuff these days.  I haven't owned a car since I got sick, and so have to take the bus (or ride my old hand-me-down beater bicycle) to make pick-ups. My handle in the FreeCycle group is FreeCycling Willie.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
Jon im not familiar with that way of doing it... how interesting. Mind you ... its only short home movies that I ever bothered to transfer.

The only reason to do it through a PC now is if you want to edit it, but for archiving it's much faster to do it that way.

My handle in the FreeCycle group is FreeCycling Willie.

That just earned you a point! Great nick name... :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi, Clueless, welcome to the site.  I'm fairly new myself, having joined just last year.  Unlike many, my nickname is actually just a version of my real name, Roger.  That's my cat Cindy with me in my profile picture.  I am also now on a very limited budget and trying to find ways to increase that just a bit but I've not bought any DVDs for a few months now which is unheard of for me...  :surrender:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
Welcome to the site! Always good to see new blood.  Especially new blood that doesn't carry the DVD Profiler baggage along.  ;D

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »
I don't remember how I heard about freecycle but I think it is great. It always bothered me to throw good things out, and the local thrift shops don't pick up anymore, so this is now my favorite place to give things away. I don't know what my name is on the site - I think I just used my name and email address. I'll have to check.

I like freecycle to get things for my niece and 3 nephews - clothes, books and "pals" are some things they love to get. Although it is a city, Buffalo has a small time atmosphere and I know a lot of times people in Buffalo are willing to deliver if you don't have a car.

As far as technological help - sorry, I just am not techno savvy. Now if you have medical questions, that I might be able to help you with.

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »
Ive used freecycle just a few times....  :-[ to get DVDs

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
Hi and welcome from someone who only joined a week ago.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:40 AM »
Hi.  Welcome to the board. :)