Author Topic: Marathon brainstorming thread  (Read 131606 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon brainstorming thread
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2009, 05:20:37 AM »
I always wait to see some of you rejoining me in my adult movie watching... I feel like a dirty old man alone :laugh:

To be serious, I've a good idea of what will be the december marathon choice from Pete ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:21 AM »
To be serious, I've a good idea of what will be the december marathon choice from Pete ;D
Yes. ...and I still don't have enough of those to fill a marathon.

We could pick up on the Sarah Connor marathon? Or has everyone already watched their set?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »
I still do not have the second season set.

Sometime I would like to do a reverse alphabet marathon again. Or the one where we could use both first and last letter of the title.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »
Tom this is what we do in the alphabet marathon, we can use any letter in the title no? Or you think about the one where we must follow the letter link?

Exemple of watching :

The Hitcher / Roadkill / La Scorta / Auto Focus / ....

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
We could pick up on the Sarah Connor marathon? Or has everyone already watched their set?

I'm still interested in participating in an S2 marathon.
Matthias

richierich

« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Sometime I would like to do a reverse alphabet marathon again. Or the one where we could use both first and last letter of the title.

I am keen on either of these ideas Tom, as it allows a nice variance of titles and of course a couple of xmas titles to be mixed into the pot.

I have s2 of sarah conner but probably won't get to this until the new year

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
I might want to use some part of December to catch up on the special features of some of the films I watched in November :stars:

If Matthias can also wait...: Tom, you think you'll have your S2 ready for January? Then we'd be four, unless even more people join...

...and yes, I also understood that this year's alphabetical marathon was set up by Rich with loosed "rules". I like the idea of the linked marathon as Jimmy described (although it can be easy to run into a dead end) or the letter at the end of the title (which makes it a little more difficult to find the films, as you can't simply filter).

Or we could link the movies otherwise, or even in a variety of methods, as long as they link. Same starting letter as ending letter of previous film, same director, actor, whatnot, same theme, same role name, you name it.

richierich

« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
I like Tom's first letter - last letter idea

BrunO - Open seasoN - National lampoons xmas vacatioN   etc etc

Good way to blend a good mix of titles in for the month

After long Hitchcock and James Bond marathons, I'd personally be keener to have a more specific director/actor/theme in the new year

lyonsden5

« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
I like Tom's first letter - last letter idea

:thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
Thanks for thinking of  me Rich... but I have no ideas (Other then my yearly 25 Days of Christmas that I do).

I do kinda like the idea of the first letter/last letter idea.

that one sounds like it could be fun and we could see a good mixture of movies in our reviews.

That said... mine may not be as long as all of yours as I will also be continuing my current marathons as well as doing my 25 Days of Christmas marathon. Where I think this year I may concentrate more on Christmas TV Episodes a bit more then movies. Though there is some Christmas movies that must be watched each year. Like the classics... Miracle on 34th St. and It's a Wonderful Life.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
Tom this is what we do in the alphabet marathon, we can use any letter in the title no? Or you think about the one where we must follow the letter link?

Not the same. In the alphabet marathon you could "cheat" by using any letter in the title.
What I meant is something like we did here. It would be fitting, as we also did it for the christmas marathon at the time.

Edit: I just noticed: We did it with the letters D V D C O L L E C T O R S O N L I N E X M A S M A R A T H O N

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »
If Matthias can also wait...: Tom, you think you'll have your S2 ready for January? Then we'd be four, unless even more people join...

Depends if the prices drop at amazon.co.uk.
£45.98 (Blu-ray) or £29.98 (DVD) is too much for a season set. Though I think the price for the DVD set already dropped since I last checked. It seems to be almost the price I would buy it. Though I would prefer the Blu-ray version.

Najemikon

« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »
It's worth having a quick gander through the previous pages. Ahem...  :whistle:

I haven't thought this all the way through, but...

THE SIX DEGREES OF PROFILER MARATHON

Similar to the popular game, 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon' where you link two random actors in six moves or less ("he worked with him, who went on to star with her...", etc). The name comes from the strange idea that one of the moves could always use Kevin Bacon. But that's not important right now...  :P

In this marathon, one of your fellow forum buddies takes a gander at your collection and picks two movies for you to watch. Without pre-planning the route, you choose films from your collection to link the two main ones. And they can't be spurious links either. They must be solid, shared roles or jobs. In theory, if your persecutor is clever, you might cycle through your whole collection, desperately seeking the Lost Link. You may even end up buying something, just to escape the clutches of the vortex! Muha-hahaha-HAAAA!  :devil:

Or maybe he was a prat. Tells you to link Goodfellas with Goldeneye and didn't spot you owned Ronin, starring Robert De Niro AND Sean Bean... oh dear, oh dear. Marathon over in one night...  :slaphead:

I'd like the interactive side. It would be funny to watch someone's marathon grow and notice that they turned left at The Fifth Element, when they could have taken a short cut through Aliens, passed Wonder Boys and straight on till Trainspotting!

I have no idea if those titles link. They're just random examples, so stop going on about it. Actually, if you can link them, I'll give you a biscuit...

:hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
I don't have the second season of Sarah Connor Chronicles yet...I've been watching the price.  I'll wait to see if I get it for Christmas at least.  After that..will be back to watching the price again probably.

The idea of linking movies for a marathon sounds interesting.  Though I'm so far behind now as it is, it would probably take me until 2020 to finish it.   :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
If Matthias can also wait...: Tom, you think you'll have your S2 ready for January?

Since I've watched it once already I can probably wait.

...unless even more people join...

Jon?? IIRC, you were the one who persuaded me to give this series a try in the first place.

Matthias