Author Topic: Working my way through my collection..  (Read 4367 times)

RossRoy

Working my way through my collection..
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
It's done. I've decided to basically cut myself off of the online part of DVD Profiler. Not that I was all that involved, but I used to accept the updates almost blindly, but some of the data that gets through and how the rules asks for them to be formatted... I just hate it!

So, I'm slowly going through my collection, updating the main data (Media, Region, Title, Production Year & Coo, Case type, Release date) while at the same time adding child profiles to TV shows and sorting through the boxsets.

Man, I should've done that BEFORE I had 2841 profiles to go through! And that number is rising regularly as I add child profiles. I have 1610 done so far. The worse thing is - I'll have to go through them again, this time updating some other piece of data.

Why oh why do I even care at this point? I never did before... why now??

At least it allowed me to find, isolate and remove 1 phantom profile (no ID, no title, no nothing), and 1 corrupted profile

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Working my way through my collection..
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
I've done it a long time ago at least for the new profile, didn't find the courage to redo all my dvd yet (it's long to enter all the crew and make the less evident corection). The online database had a big problem because Ken had permitted to contribute not own dvd, multi-region contribution based on one profile and vote on wishlist dvd. Funny to see that I was talking about this problem yesterday on the DVDP forum and I was surprised to see an almost civil discussion for a change.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
I meant to pick up Matthias' comparison tool last year and never got around to it.  Thus, I've not updated my profiles either.  But last I looked, I only have around 1000 to go through.  If the comparison tool is kept up to date, I'd still love to get it at some point.  If not, I'm not sure I can go back to the standard comparison tool.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
I am using Rho's comparison skin and I am quite happy with it. Even though it is not as good as Matthias' plugin, it is much better than the standard comparison skin. I am not sure if he still keeps it up-to-date. I think I had to do the media company changes myself in the skin.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »
This is how a standard movie profile lock looks in my DB:

Studios and Disc Info is locked because I remove that information from every profile. I don't care about that info at all and this way a save a few bytes per profile in the already huge XML file.

The lock of a season disc locks like this:

For everything that is unlocked, I don't care enough to bother with it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
I'm up to 2888 owned profiles.. and I noticed that most Star Trek seasons don't have child profiles yet, same for Smallville and a few other TV shows..  :surrender:

A to N are done so far. This is taking a lot longer than I expected..

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »
I started this evening actually manually adding some child profiles for some of my television show sets.  I'd been planning to work on that for a while, but I finally got motivated to try this evening.  It will probably take me a while to get everything added - I want to put in the episode lists for each disc - but I have started at least.

I have also started to lock more of my profiles, though most of them still aren't locked.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:50:55 AM »
I am way too lazy to do my entire collection myself. I don't blindly accept everything either though, therefore I have a backlog of opending updates of apprx. 700 profiles. I am almost up to date with child profiles for TV series (about 5 have them missing) and for the odd items that "only I have" (mainly some of my Asian DVDs bought in Hong Kong or Taiwan) I don't care enough to go at it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:53:04 PM »
I've added like 71 child profiles since I started.  I think I have most of them now, but I still have a few more seasons of tv shows to add..and I might add profiles for movies in a few sets I have...like the Hitchcock set with 20 movies.  I'll just have to get motivated.

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »
I'll just have to get motivated.

I find it's the toughest part.

I have 2080 profiles checked out of a total of 3308. And I know I STILL have some child profiles to add.

And at this time, I'm completely fed up!

richierich

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
I'll just have to get motivated.

I find it's the toughest part.

I have 2080 profiles checked out of a total of 3308. And I know I STILL have some child profiles to add.

And at this time, I'm completely fed up!

Motivation is the hardest thing with a large collection. I have sudden bursts where I think I will ensure I have high res scans of all my covers, or that all my studios are correct, but after one evening I usually lose the enthusiasm as its such a major task whichever option I choose to update.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
I've been doing mine too - I'm up to Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. I have been doing complete profiles except for cover scans. I have skipped some if they look complete - if 3.5 data is included. I just do a bunch at a time - its amazing how many get done by not watching commercials!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:50 AM »
I haven't done complete profiles for the ones I've added.  I've just added a little bit of the information ..production year, rating..the stuff on that screen mostly.  I have added some overviews..usually episode lists for the discs.  I haven't added the cast or crew or any of that and I doubt I will.  I did do cover scans.

snowcat

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
I did not put child profiles on any on my DVD Profiler stuff.... and now I think I may have to, some of my box sets have 10+ discs, I guess child profiles could help with those.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
I don't know if you enter all the information, but be ready for a lot of works :training:
I've made 3 boxsets with 50 films in them in the last couple of years and each set took me at least 3 days to profile :whistle: