Author Topic: DVD Profiler Help  (Read 25960 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler Help
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »
Who the Hell in their right mind would purchase a region 2 DVD of Avatar whose regional location is Norway, when you've already purchased an R1 version?
He still polices other regions...? :weep:

But I agree, for someone with several thousands of DVDs, most of whch in storage (:headscratch:) he has surprisingly much time on his hands.

Taro

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
You know, I'm starting to think that he doesn't own a single DVD, and that he only has his collection set so high to keep his ability to troll the contribution threads.

Think about it, if you look at his posting history, he's almost continually on the forum, so it's obvious that he doesn't watch his discs.

Who the Hell in their right mind would purchase a region 2 DVD of Avatar whose regional location is Norway, when you've already purchased an R1 version?
I've also noticed that it's one of Skip's fetishes to just add multiple versions/localities of the same movie just so he can vote on it.
Not so long ago I had trouble with him voting a submission I made for the Ultimate Matrix Blu-ray (before Ken ruled on the 'hidden track' thing) :
He kept voting no and when I PM'd him to ask why, he couldn't describe what he saw on-screen. Finally he admitted to not owning the disc and not even owning a Blu-ray player. So I wondered why he even bothered to vote on it and how he can check which tracks are available and which were not. Sure, Ken says it's OK to vote on already released profiles you don't own (possibly he even says so purposely to accomodate Skip), but how can he reliably vote on a submission when he can't even check the data himself?

When I brought the question into the forums and before Ken ruled, he magically pulled a white rabbit out of his hat when he said he checked it at a friend's house ... yeah, riiiiight!

Long story short, correct vote or not I see him voting a lot on profiles he even admitted himself to not owning or on profiles he has no business with. I just wonder if he does this for the sake of trolling or if he really, truly believes he is the online database police and it's his sacred duty to protect all profiles from bad data ... if the first case, then he's a pety little man, if the second he's in urgent need of admission in a mental institution. Whatever the case, his fetish with voting on as many profiles as possible is borderline maniacal.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
When I brought the question into the forums and before Ken ruled, he magically pulled a white rabbit out of his hat when he said he checked it at a friend's house ... yeah, riiiiight!

You see, here's where you had him, there is no way in Hell that he's has any friends, unless they're imaginary.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:48 PM »
I've also noticed that it's one of Skip's fetishes to just add multiple versions/localities of the same movie just so he can vote on it.
It's always amazed how everyone (including some of you) jump on Skip back for this when nobody except me say anything against what T!M do. Maybe it isn't OK for Skip to vote on dvd he doesn't own, but at least he doesn't make contribution on dvd he doesn't own. Everytime I brought this on a contribution by T!M I was treated like an idiot, even if this is this kind of contribution made with an agenda who make the database useless more and more everyday.

I know that you will told that it helps the database but it isn't the case at all. The credits aren't necessary the same for all the region and you can't see the differences when you don't own a dvd. 

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »
It's always amazed how everyone (including some of you) jump on Skip back for this when nobody except me say anything against what T!M do. Maybe it isn't OK for Skip to vote on dvd he doesn't own, but at least he doesn't make contribution on dvd he doesn't own.

I didn't know T!M was doing that. If he indeed is making mistakes, then he should be called out on them.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
Sure he do and everytime he sent me a PM telling me to basically STFU that Ken had said that you can do a contribution whatever you own the dvd or not. Wich of course is false and a complete misunderstanding of what he had said: You can contribute if you can confirm it on the cover or the label website.

Cast and crew credit, studio, running time, soundtrack, features and many other things can't be verified if you don't have the dvd in your hand or very good documentation (like the one I had when I've contributed Around the World in Eighties Days and even with that I've waited for the forum concensus to do it).

Now it's clear that he do that with an agenda, but he trust blindly the common name tool and this isn't an usefull tool at all. This isn't because something was made by Ken that it makes it trustworthy or reliable (in fact this tool is even less reliable than all the different database on the web).

In fact he is one of the 2 reasons why I've cut myself from the database (the other being well known).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
I always check the first dozen or so contributions that someone makes. Everyone makes a mistake every once in a while but this gives me a pretty good idea if the person is trustworthy or not.

I don't have the time or inclination to verify every DVD I own - that is too time consuming and I might as well do all of the work myself. So, if I find the person's data is reliable I will vote "yes" on their contributions. When I do watch my DVDs I will, of course, check the data but not just for voting purposes.

Jimmy, I am surprised to hear you have a problem with T!M. I have found his contributions to be accurate and I trust his work. I think I make more mistakes than he does! :whistle:

As far as the occasion mistake goes - I don't worry about them. I believe that the errors will eventually be found and corrected. I am happy if someone takes the time and effort to contribute. Then, when I do get to double check the data, I have so much less work to do.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2010, 04:33:22 AM »
I have only contributed a few profiles really...only DVDs I own.  I haven't done the credits and all that though because I haven't had the time to do it.  I didn't know that people were actively adding profiles for movies they didn't own.  I wouldn't do that.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
Since my first day using the DVDP (the old 2.4 version) I've never understood the logic of why this is permit. The database is "supposed to be" one of the most reliable and a complete contribution demand a lot of work and minutie (I've even pass the credit of some films in multiple color filter to make them readable). A complete profile when you are you use to it and do it as you are to do them (following all the rules) took more or less an hour. All that to say that a contribution is very strictly rules wich is ok for what he wants, but on the other side Ken permits to vote on dvd not in the own list and to make undocumented contribution (I don't consider the name tool as documentation) on what you dont own.

If someone understand the logic please explain, because those two things are really opposite...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
That doesn't make sense to me either.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2010, 06:37:30 AM »
The logic is simple:

Down the line Ken is a business man! While he does cater to the active members of the forum he also has to consider the real masses using the program, who don't frequent the program.

He actually made that repeaqtedly clear when we had those chats regarding the Rules with him.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »
He actually made that repeaqtedly clear when we had those chats regarding the Rules with him.
That's what I miss by not being a member of the secret rules fraternity group :whistle:

Of course I know it isn't secret and everybody can join this part of the forum... But I'm very scare to see what kind of discussion happen there :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
That's what I miss by not being a member of the secret rules fraternity group :whistle:
Just to be clear, I was talking about the original Rules group, which was "secret", but not the Rules forum as it is now.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2010, 06:58:20 AM »
I don't know anything about either of the rules forums.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
it's a forum that you must send a request to Ken or Gerri to access it. For all I know everybody who own DVDP is approved with no problem. Like I've said I think it probably look like all the 10 pages thread in the contribution forum, but more insane :shrug:

Edit : Didn't read your second answer Achim... it was sure way before my time since my first version was DVDP 2.4
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:08:03 AM by Jimmy »