Author Topic: Update On My Eye Situation  (Read 3427 times)

Rogmeister

Update On My Eye Situation
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
I posted briefly in the December marathon that I was having a problem with my eyes.  As I surmised there, I was having an eye hemorrhage...I had one last December (my right eye) and now I had one in my left eye.  That's all I need, for this to become a holiday tradition!  On the plus side, I've now run out of eyes for it to happen to...on the minus side, that probably just means rerun time.  On Saturday, I went to the emergency room of a local hospital and there was luckily an eye doctor there that day.  He prescribed complete bed rest (no reading or TV) until I could see my regular eye doctor who I had previously made an appointment to see.  That was today.  He gave my eye a laser treatment so I am about back to normal.  However, I have decided not to return to this month's marathon...getting back to watching a lot of TV probably is not a good idea.  I will continue to check in when I can, though.

snowcat

Re: Update On My Eye Situation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:53 PM »
Get well soon Roger! Im glad thinks are getting back to normal though.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
Wow laser eye treatment! Did it hurt? Ive always been freaked out at the thought of lasers and eyes.

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »
I didn't really feel the lasers.  However, they have to stick some kind of eyepiece into your eye (some sort of really uncomfortable contact lens) that they run the lasers through.  It's not a good feeling but luckily the laser treastment is relatively short.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »
Thanks for checking in, Roger. I miss your Western reviews, but take it easy.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
I didn't really feel the lasers.  However, they have to stick some kind of eyepiece into your eye (some sort of really uncomfortable contact lens) that they run the lasers through.  It's not a good feeling but luckily the laser treastment is relatively short.

Hmm I'm glad it went okay, uncomfortable contact lenses, ouch! I have worn glasses for years now and just the thought of contact lenses makes me all squirmish.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:36 PM »
Great to know that it get better ;D
loosing my vision is one of my worst fear every years, since I know that my right eyes weaken every years because he must compensate for the other who is almost useless because of an accident when I was 6 years old.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »
Great to know that it get better ;D
loosing my vision is one of my worst fear every years, since I know that my right eyes weaken every years because he must compensate for the other who is almost useless because of an accident when I was 6 years old.

Im with you on that one Jimmy!

My eye site and hearing is deteriorating every year... Im scared ill loose both 0_0 then ill be in trouble.

..Laser treatment has always scared me, My uncle had to have one of his eyes lasered (im not sure why) but he said it made him feel alot better.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »
Wow - you really have had a run of bad luck lately. I am glad to hear that you are improving. Rest, relax and get off the damn computer! :laugh:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
Hmm I'm glad it went okay, uncomfortable contact lenses, ouch! I have worn glasses for years now and just the thought of contact lenses makes me all squirmish.

Contact lenses used to make me squeamish too.  But I really got tired of all the hassles with glasses.  With contacts I don't have to worry about them getting dirty like my glasses, can wear cheap sunglasses in the summer, they don't get wet in the rain (which we have plenty of here in Oregon).  It took me about 20 minutes to put my very first contact in, but after a week or so, it was no big deal.  I hope I never have to switch back to glasses.

Sorry to hear of your problem Roger.  Hope you recover soon! ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »
and your glasses aren't full of mist everytime you enter in a house in the winter. Of course if you don't have a winter where you leave this isn't too much of a problem :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:52:42 AM »
I used to be legally blind in my right eye without glasses. And, because the lens had to be so thick it was a pain to wear. The best Christmas present I ever received was when my mother scheduled an a appointment for me to get lasik surgery. The minute the surgery was done, I could see better than I ever had - it was an absolute miracle. To wake up every morning and just be able to see...what a gift.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »
Take it easy Roger... I hope you are back to 100% real soon!
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:40 AM »
Thanks, Pete and Jon and everybody.  I appreciate the kind thoughts.  I do still plan to do some reviews when I can but may cut back on the more involved marathons, at least for awhile.  :thanks:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:16:47 AM »
Roger, I am glad to see that the laser treatment helped you. Hope it will keep improving quickly.

I have very bad eyesight myself. Somewhere in the 9.x (according German standards) or in the 900s (as for the standard they use here in Taiwan). So, without glasses I see just blurry blobs. Anyway, I also had laser treatment many years ago, as the "skin" at the back of my eye was coming loose and the use the laser to sow it back on (non-medical description :D).

For those who were wondering: The "contact" lens Roger is talking about is cone-shaped, so that the oneend fits on the eye and the other side is big enough for the doctor to see through. They then shoot laser at your eye, which caused short bursts of "non-threatening" pain to me which subsides quickily. To do this they give you eyedrops first which will dilate the iris. It will take several hours after the procedure to go back to normal, during which you should avoid bright light and vision will be impaired.