Author Topic: Will you be replacing all your DVDs with Blu-rays?  (Read 7327 times)

snowcat

Will you be replacing all your DVDs with Blu-rays?
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
Im intrigued, I feel no need to as there will always be something that plays DVDs.... its not like VHS my Blu-Ray player can play DVDs so they are safe :p

Anyone planning on upgrading everything?

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Will you be replacing all your DVDs with Blu-rays?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
As long as the prices for BR's stays at their level, I'm sticking with SD.

My Oppo upconverts my SD's to a level I find most satisfactory.

Besides, as I get older, my eyesight has gone from 20:20 in my left eye to 20:30, and from 20:25 to 20:80 in my right. So the difference in definition is becoming negligible to me.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
I'm upgrading more than I thought I would because prices have dropped quite a way here and DVDs still have value of course so if I can sell them on Play or Ebay, I'll consider the upgrade, but only if there is value in the transfer too. Just done that with Gladiator and It's A Wonderful Life (now my oldest film on Blu). That ones colourised, which normally I'd be dead against, but it's possible Capra would have used colour if he could and it looks very good indeed. Still prefer the B&W because there's an occasional waxiness to some of the colours, but still, it is frighteningly good. Hopefully a new audience will find it.

Oh yeah. And Basic Instinct Blu for £4.98? That's getting upgraded too. My curiosity about a certain high-def moment is piqued!  :devil:  :bag:

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »

Oh yeah. And Basic Instinct Blu for £4.98? That's getting upgraded too. My curiosity about a certain high-def moment is piqued!  :devil:  :bag:

:slaphead: ....  ;)

Lol... I think if I can get them very cheap... £3 or less  ;) then ill upgrade!

Critter

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »
I am only letting myself buy blu-rays that I don't already have on DVD. Which is a shame as I have many DVD's already I would love to see on blu-ray but I do not but more than one copy of any movie, even if they are different editions.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:54 PM »
No :laugh:

Blu-ray had never interested me for one second... This is just the laser disc of this decade, something made by Hollywood to create an artificial need. Are they better than the regular dvd? Sometimes yes, but most of the time no. Are they practical? No, if you are like me and bought film from different zone. Are they affordable? In theory almost, but you must get an HD television to really enjoy it and an HDTV isn't cheap.

But honestly with the genre of film I like the HD technology is more a disavantage than a plus. Some of my film are only VHS converted on DVD and I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure I want to see more detail when I watch something like Long Jeanne Silver or Waterpower :laugh:

Of course the day Through the Looking Glass will be release on Blu-ray my opinion will change and I will make the switch :whistle:

Touti

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
At some point earlier this year I was up to almost 600 DVD's but I sold most of it 'cause I needed money to do something else.  I ended up with about 155 left, some I wanted to keep and some that didn't sell.

There's a few that I sold and some that I still have that I want to get in HD, either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, because they have beautiful images and are worth watching in HD.  There's a few I don't mind paying 20$+ for, others I will only get when I find them at a good price.

My current Blu-Ray Wish List.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Braveheart Sapphire Series
Amadeus Director's Cut
U-571
The Patriot Extended Cut

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:33:38 PM »
Are they better than the regular dvd? Sometimes yes, but most of the time no.

Oh, Jimmy!  :hysterical: You have to be careful and not get something that was simply copied from DVD, but for those many titles and new stuff, the difference is astronomical.

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
Sorry Jon :p but in some cases im going to have to agree with Jimmy... Escape from New York looks worse on Blu-Ray :p as do a few others ive seen.

Touti

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
Jon's right.  Master and Commander that I've watched in BR recently is the best example.  It was already pretty good in DVD but the BR is astonishing, especially the darker scenes inside the ship.

But then most of what Jimmy watches has a limited market and it's probably not worth it for any studio to take the expense of cleaning it and making a new transfer to get a HD version out.  I think Jimmy still has many years ahead before most of what he watches comes out in BR.  It will probably be when nobody makes anything in DVD anymore.

@Emma, I think your statement pretty much makes Jon's point.  You have to be careful and make sure you don't get DVD movies that were dumped on a BR disc because a low-res transfer will always look better played on DVD than on BR, they often even look better when they're not upconverted.

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »
Ill be honest... I don't pay attention to the technical side of a DVD ... When my friend got Escape From New York we fully assumed it was upgraded to Blu-ray .... because to me it seems silly to release a DVD quality film on Blu-ray.... when there is a perfectly good copy on DVD :S

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
I think Jimmy still has many years ahead before most of what he watches comes out in BR.  It will probably be when nobody makes anything in DVD anymore.
Maybe 25-35% of what I own haven't even find its way on dvd yet :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »
Ill be honest... I don't pay attention to the technical side of a DVD ... When my friend got Escape From New York we fully assumed it was upgraded to Blu-ray .... because to me it seems silly to release a DVD quality film on Blu-ray.... when there is a perfectly good copy on DVD :S

Yup, it's like the widescreen fiasco again. "Stick black borders on everything, they'll never know!".

I Google every one I think of getting. There are loads of very informative reviews and you can get the gist without reading them properly...

Touti

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »
It is silly and probably a bit dishonnest but it's a cheap way of making money.  The best source for Blu-Ray movies information IMO is blu-ray.com.  It tells you if it's 1080i or 1080p, their reviews have sections specific to image and sound quality and users reviews have it as well.

The editor still doesn't have a review for "Escape from New York" but there's 6 Users reviews.  3 of them have given a very low score to the image quality.  The other 3 gave it 4/5 but with comments like "Not the best but much than VHS"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:59:14 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:57:51 PM »
I think Jimmy still has many years ahead before most of what he watches comes out in BR.  It will probably be when nobody makes anything in DVD anymore.
Maybe 25-35% of what I own haven't even find its way on dvd yet :laugh:

So 25-35% of what you own is pirated ?  :-X