Author Topic: Wireless Game Controller  (Read 3330 times)

Touti

Wireless Game Controller
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
I want to play a few computer games in the living room and I need a wireless game controller.  I know some of you are gamers so I thought maybe you'd have some advice for me.

The first one I found (and only one I've looked at so far) is the Microsoft controller that does both PC and XBox, it looks interesting but I'm sure there's better for the same price or less.

Najemikon

Re: Wireless Game Controller
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
I don't use them, but reviews I've seen in the games magazines all seem to favour the Microsoft Xbox controller and the closest other brands are Logitech and Saitek.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
Well for one thing the wireless xbox controller is the same, so if you see a "for PC" tag on a controller package, it's bull, it is exactly the same as the standard Xbox controller. You also have to keep in mid that you'll need the wireless receiver for the Xbox controller to work on your PC. I personally only use Microsoft branded controllers, and I've no experience with generic ones. But, last time I played with a generic one (back in the Xbox 1 days), it is a MadCatz and I loathed it! Worst piece of poo I ever had to use. And it wasn't even wireless!

Unfortunately, MS sets crazy prices on "accessories"....

Touti

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
I should have thought of Logitech, they're always the first ones to come to mind when I need keyboards or mice.......I should have thought of them  :bag:

I've never been much of a gamer, 20 years ago I had lots of fun with the good old Leisure Suit Larry series, later I went through the entire Myst series.  Now I'd like to play Assassin's Creed I and II (assuming of course that the first one can still be found somewhere) and since the graphics are said to be amazing it would be a bit dumb from my side to play it on 17" screen when I have 42" HD one in the living room.

I think I'll go with Microsoft, Logitech makes good products but they're wireless systems can be really bad sometimes

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
I'm playing Assassin's Creed at the moment. It's good and looks pretty, but it's just a little bit of style of substance. The combat is very basic.

I say "playing", but I haven't loaded it since getting Batman Arkham Asylum. Oh my goodness! It's bloody marvellous. Very satisfying. Except I have got completely stuck with Bane. The big brute is tough and then some...  :bag:

Touti

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
Jon I'm not really attracted by the "action" aspect of the game so I don't mind if battles are basic.  I just like nice graphics which is why I enjoyed the Myst series so much.  I also like everything that's medieval and relates to religions so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I bought the 1st one from Direct2Drive for 20$, and while it's gonna download for the next 2 hours I'm gonna get my controller.

I actually have another question for Seb about it.  You say that I need the receiver to use the Microsoft one on a PC, do you mean that it's sold separately ?  I can't really find details specs on online retailers sites.

** Edit:  Staples has it for 55$ but it doesn't say anything about the receiver.  Best Buy has it at 70$ and their site specifies that it includes the receiver needed for PC use so I have my answer, the receiver is sold separately.

Download will be finished in 1:30, I should be back home JIT to start playing................I don't think I'll be watching my first HD-DVD tonight  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:23:07 PM by Eric »

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
Oh, you'll definitely enjoy it. I enjoy it too. It's just that Batman is taking over my life! Help me! And I felt the difference worth mentioning.  :P

Touti

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
Download time remaining: 23 minutes.

Why is this internet thing so slow  :redcard:

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
Download time remaining: 23 minutes.

Why is this internet thing so slow  :redcard:

I love buying downloaded games, but that's the most frustrating part! The wait while it downloads! ...

You know, now that I think of it, I just bought Knights of the Old Republic on Steam for 2.49$ (a total steal if you ask me! That game is worth much more, even if it's old!) Wonder if it works with the 360 controller because I don't like how it controls on the PC...

EDIT:

Dumb me! I just realised: My dad has a corded 360 controller! Guess I'll go upstairs and pay them a visit ;)

Touti

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
While I was searching this morning I saw a post on another forum about Steam having a sale a while back where Assassin's Creed was only 5$.  I tried to find their web site but a search for "Steam" on google didn't prove to be a good idea  :slaphead:

Touti

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
20$ for the game.
80$ for a controller
2 Hours of download
15 Minutes of installation
1 Double-Click on a shortcut

and nothing happens.  I installed the latest patch and again nothing happens.  It doesn't want to start on my computer....................I'm officially pissed.

Critter

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
That's a shame Eric. My Playstation 3 came with a wireless controller so I never had to get one. I did however buy a wireless controller of a different brand for my old Playstation 2 and I never had any trouble with it, it just always worked, however it wasn't duel shock.

Touti

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
It took me a while to figure it out but I had a combination of issues.  Since it's a downloaded game it has to be activated online which can't be done properly when the firewall is turned on and I also had to install the patch to make it work on a 64 bit os but these have to be done before you run it for the first time so I had to uninstall the game, disable my firewall, re-install the game, apply the patch, set it to run as an Administrator and launch it, then I was able to activate it and I've been playing the last few hours.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:48:50 AM »
Oh, you'll definitely enjoy it. I enjoy it too. It's just that Batman is taking over my life! Help me! And I felt the difference worth mentioning.  :P
:headscratch: I mayhave to get it after all (I was almost over the notion to do so :voodoo:)

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
I am sorry, but it's essential.  :devil:

You get multiple playing styles (Bats has to use stealthy "Silent Takedown" to defeat armed guards, but can simply kick the shit out of everyone else!), a story that is really very clever giving you the headlines of his career and the characterisation is brilliant. Is it wrong to slightly fancy Harley Quinn? I think it is. :whistle: