Author Topic: A swedish language/culture question.  (Read 763 times)

Touti

A swedish language/culture question.
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
I hope someone know enough about the Swedish language or culture to answer that.  I'm still reading my Millennium stories (I'm a slow reader  :bag:), I'm on the last quarter of the 2nd book and something has been bothering me from the beginning.

The book uses the full names almost every time it refers to someone.  Even in dialog between characters. 

Here's a (not really from the book) example:

"It was my brother Paul Vanger who took my sister Paula Vanger to the hospital when my father George Vanger died, my son Simon Vanger was already there."

I find this very annoying and I've been wondering from the beginning if it's really the Swedish way, if the author is a bad writer thinking we're too stupid to follow the story or if it was added in the translation............which would make the translator a very bad one since they're not supposed to change the text.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: A swedish language/culture question.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
Sorry that I don't know. But you could ask this over at Invelos, there are a few Swedish natives...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools