Author Topic: Sony's "Digital Copy"  (Read 1937 times)

Touti

Sony's "Digital Copy"
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »
Has anyone heard about this or actually purchased one of these ?  I saw it in an ad on my Blu-Ray copy of 'The Silence of the Lambs".  When you buy a DVD that has "Digital Copy" you get a 2nd disc which loads the movie into your portable device so you can watch it "on the go".

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's "Digital Copy"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:08 AM »
I get them all the time (not sure how many I have so far). I have not yet made use of it. I don't think Sony is the only one doing it.

Some may work directly, others require you to activate it with a code, possibly through the internet. Especially the later could be problematic for me as they may not allow me to make the copy at my location. But as I said, I am not using it anyway.

Boomstick98

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:14:38 AM »
I have many of these as well. Some are a 2nd disc packaged with the movie and some are simply just a paper inserted in the package with a code that has to be redeemed online for the digital copy. I am yet to actually try one of them. I need to check it out myself, but one of my friends told me there was an expiration date on the codes.  :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:38:26 AM »
I have some DVDs that have come with them.  I haven't used any of them. 

Touti

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »
I'm surprised by the answers.  I've owned up to almost 600 DVD's until about a year ago and I've never seen any, I thought it was something new.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:05:10 AM »
They do that with the regular DVD also, naming that an extra and they sell the movie higher because of this waste of time and ressource.

Almost everybody is able to do this with every film released on dvd with a couple of software... even me I'm able to do that ::)

This is probably as simple to do with a Blue-Ray with a disc reader on a computer and the same software.

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »
Ive not seen it on a regular DVD, But I think all new Disney Blu Rays come with a DVD and Digital copy (as well as the Blu Ray)

:S Ive heard Digital Copies do not work on Ipods, Can anyone confirm that?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:45 AM »
I'm surprised by the answers.  I've owned up to almost 600 DVD's until about a year ago and I've never seen any, I thought it was something new.
Well, yes, it was/is fairly new. Just that you sold a bucket load of your DVDs and stopped buying new ones for a while resulted in you not having any ;)

:S Ive heard Digital Copies do not work on Ipods, Can anyone confirm that?
It used to be that way, ut many now state on the package that it does. Not sure why it wasn't there in the first place, but there you go.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
The first DVD I got that had it was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I need to find a good resource for listing out what the differences in the DVDs are before - where there is a 1 disc and 2 disc version - the release date since I sometimes preorder from Amazon.  They never say what sort of extras are included and I haven't been able to find a good site that does that before the release date.  If the only difference is the digital copy, which has turned out to be the case more than once - then I'd be happy with the 1 disc, but if there were other actual extras on the 2 disc that I would like, then I'd want that one.  As it is now, I can't find that information anywhere before the release date and it is annoying me.

Boomstick98

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
I have been bitten by this as well.  :thumbdown: I usually buy the 2 disc because I enjoy the features so much, but I don't like waisting my money on them when the 2nd disc is just a digital copy. I honestly don't use them.

Touti

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
I have been bitten by this as well.  :thumbdown: I usually buy the 2 disc because I enjoy the features so much, but I don't like waisting my money on them when the 2nd disc is just a digital copy. I honestly don't use them.

Are you saying they sell them as "2 discs edition" but nothing on the outside says the 2nd disc is a digital copy ?

Boomstick98

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:02 PM »
It says so on the packaging if you have the DVD in hand when buying it. We are referring to them not having the info available when you Pre order. :(

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
Are you saying they sell them as "2 discs edition" but nothing on the outside says the 2nd disc is a digital copy ?
Haven't seen that yet myself. And the digital copy is always marked as such.

But they call some newer ones 3-disc sets, where the 3rd disc is the digital copy (again, marked as such). I think, I couldn't name an example just now.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »

When I pre-order some titles from Amazon, it will say 2 disc edition, but nothing says what is on the 2nd disc.  Most of the listings say + digital copy, but it doesn't say that the second disc is just the digital copy. 

Wolverine is the latest to bite me when I pre-ordered it. 

I honestly can't remember if the listing for the DVD said anything about a digital copy in the title like some of the others have.  It just says 2 disc special edition.  The only thing on the second disc is the digital copy. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
That's just wrong.

I can't remember being "cheated" like that, but would have to look through my collection to make sure.