Author Topic: A question to everyone having horror marathons right now.  (Read 5238 times)

Najemikon

Re: A question to everyone having horror marathons right now.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
Empire included Signs in a recent rundown of stupid twists for this very reason.

What other stupid twists were on this list? I'd be interested to see it. I subscribe to Empire magazine but the Australian one.

I've been misleading myself... :bag:

The feature was a couple of months ago I think, but is also online here: http://www.empireonline.com/features/top10/worst-twists/

Signs is not one of them, a fact bemoaned by a letter writer last month, who said about how the aliens [blank] was daft because [blank].  ;) This month someone responded and got their letter printed, pointing out that Signs wasn't quite so stupid...

Critter

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Ah I know how it is, I love reading those letters in Empire.
Also thanks for that list, I loved looking through it and laughing at some of the choices.

snowcat

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
Im not easily scared at all, but I do flinch when I see fingers being cut off or broken... I have a thing about them :p

I love horror movies, there not my favourite genre but I do enjoy them :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
Horror movies never got to me, even as a child. It's probably because of this that this genre is one of my least favorite.

There is only one thing which can make me flinch: If there is a close-up of an eye and something is touching it (like the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact). I can watch any documentary about operations without any problems. But if it is an eye-operation, then just looking at it, my eyes begin to water.

Boomstick98

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »
Horror movies never got to me, even as a child. It's probably because of this that this genre is one of my least favorite.

There is only one thing which can make me flinch: If there is a close-up of an eye and something is touching it (like the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact). I can watch any documentary about operations without any problems. But if it is an eye-operation, then just looking at it, my eyes begin to water.

Have you ever seen Zombie (AKA Zombi 2)? There is a scene in it that involves someones eye thats pretty hard to watch. :bag:

richierich

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
I have a mild Ommetaphobia case as well, and hate seeing anything poking into eyes etc!
This cover in my collection makes me queasy

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 12:43:18 AM »
So, was Bunuel's Un chien andalou the first "eye horror"?
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:17 AM »
When I was a kid we watched the Christopher Lee Dracula films and I would leave the room for the night scenes. Later horror slowly turned to become my favorite genre (I don't watch close as much as Pete or Jimmy though). Key moment was The Omega Man which showed me that being scared by a film can be fun and some others which introduced me to gore.

Like the others, nowadays I am more concerned about gore in films based on reality, as it is something we can relate to. Same for scary stuff, while supernatural horror will not scare me really scenes in a film where the threat could be real and happen to me (e.g. sharks) might do the trick.

The last film that properly scared me was The Descent (admittedly not exactly "real", watched at the cinema.

In fact, on the very rare occasion that I've both had a nightmare and remembered it, I've also quite liked it and tried to pick it up again! Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm weird, but hey... it's guys like me and Jimmy you want watching your back when the inevitable zombie apocalypse dawns.  :devil:
I once dreamed about a bunch of friends and me living in a shopping mall fending of the living dead :laugh: Was more of an action filled dream than a nightmare. Needless to say I had just watched Dawn of the Dead few days earlier.

Critter

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 02:08:58 AM »
I have a mild Ommetaphobia case as well, and hate seeing anything poking into eyes etc!

I'm fine with eyes but the thing I can't stand is wrists. More specifically the underside of peoples wrists and anything going on there. To this day I still can't look when spiderman shoots web out of his wrists then holds onto it as he swings a long. That makes me quesy.

And no I'm not crazy. Apart from a mild fear or wrists I'm fairly sane.

Boomstick98

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Most of the time I am fine, but I will admit there is a scene in Pet Sematary that always bothered me.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:56 AM »
Was more of an action filled dream than a nightmare.
The last nightmare for me dealt with an infestation of flying vampire dog and it wasn't an happy dream. No, this isn't related to the bad Werewolves Wes Craven movie that I've never seen :P

A recuring one is just a sensation that something strangled me, but no image go with it and I always wake up searching my breath and terrify after it.

Probably more a night terror than a nightmare, but after 20 years the reaction is always the same :fingerchew:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
And no I'm not crazy. Apart from a mild fear or wrists I'm fairly sane.
So it's denial then....? (I am thinking about your slight DVD addiction... :P)

Critter

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
So it's denial then....? (I am thinking about your slight DVD addiction... )

Haha if DVD addiction is a sign of insanity then I'm fairly sure this is a forum of crazy people!  :yahoo:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Haha if DVD addiction is a sign of insanity then I'm fairly sure this is a forum of crazy people!  :yahoo:
Just wanted to make sure you know what you have gotten yourself into :wacko:

Critter

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
Haha don't worry, I full understand the addiction and love it! ;D