Author Topic: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available  (Read 19817 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
Are others than Warner using the Digibook? All I have seem to be from them.

After staring at my collection for a while, I found one. It is part of Sony's so-called "Award Winner Collection" (just search Amazon.de for that term to get some examples). I hate that packaging and always thought of it as a digipak where the distributor was too cheap to put it in a slipcase.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:27:48 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »
After staring at my collection for a while, I found one. It is part of Sony's so-called "Award Winner Collection" (just search Amazon.de for that term to get some examples). I hate that packaging and always thought of it as a digipak where the distributor was too cheap to put it in a slipcase.
Oh, that's indeed the same.

Personally I like it, albeit looking a bit odd between the keepers on the shelf. Since Warner was using it for some of their classics it felt a bit special at first.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »
Maybe it was discussed in the Invelos forum and I missed it and don't feel like asking stupid questions over there (so I do it here :bag:):

I happily installed Matthias PCP today and had to find this:

Audio seems to be always flagged as a change, even if there is no actual change in the data...?

This is by no means a problem with Matthias' tool. RHo's skin and Ken's default also show this behaviour. So far it seems to be a fairly obvious bug that got sneaked even into the maintenance release 3.6.1...?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
Audio seems to be always flagged as a change, even if there is no actual change in the data...?

This is by no means a problem with Matthias' tool. RHo's skin and Ken's default also show this behaviour. So far it seems to be a fairly obvious bug that got sneaked even into the maintenance release 3.6.1...?

For me audio is not always flagged as changed, only if there is actual change. I am using 3.6 and Rho's skin.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
works as expected on my side too.
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:43 AM »

Yeah, I have the same problem. It goes away when you manually change the audio section of the profile.

As to why some people have the problem and some don't: It probably depends on how many database upgrades you did during the beta cycle. I went straight from 3.5.1 to 3.6.0.1282 without any beta steps.

As for PCP: I pondered to suppress it, but decided against it, because the checkbox in the "Accept Partial" pane is still flagged. If there is a flag, but PCP doesn't show the section, people would have wondered why.

So far it seems to be a fairly obvious bug that got sneaked even into the maintenance release 3.6.1...?

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it was already there in 3.6.0. At least there was no DB conversion between 3.6.0 and 3.6.1.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
As to why some people have the problem and some don't: It probably depends on how many database upgrades you did during the beta cycle. I went straight from 3.5.1 to 3.6.0.1282 without any beta steps.
This seems a good explanation. I also did not participate in beta this time and only installed the release candidate (which was ultimately the release version anyway). So since we have the problem and Pete and Tom used the beta it seems a reasonable conclusion.

So you say I must change/save the files manually once? Or can I just accept the update and everything will be fine afterwards? ... More a rhethorical question, I can just test this out myself tonight.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »
So you say I must change/save the files manually once? Or can I just accept the update and everything will be fine afterwards? ... More a rhethorical question, I can just test this out myself tonight.

It only goes away once there was a real change to the audio section. Simply accepting an update doesn't help, if it doesn't cause any real change.

However, I wouldn't bother with it. Once you accept or decline an update, the "update available" flag gets cleared until there is a newer version of the profile available in the online DB. That means if you do a direct comparison from the profile, the audio section may still be flagged as different, but the profile is no longer listed among the pending updates.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2010, 06:46:19 AM »
Thanks for explaining Matthias. I certainly won't go through near-2000 profiles and save them just so this flag goes away :shrug:

Your tool comes in handy here, as, other than with "just" using a skin, it highlights an actual change. So no squinting required to find of it's a real change or just the flag-problem :thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »
With my main database I went directly to 3.6 final. The beta I only used in parallel mode and I did not use the release candidates at all (since parallel mode was disabled).

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2010, 01:11:38 AM »
Well, I'm finally done with updating all my gadgets to v3.6 (I started after the official release and didn't play with the Beta). While there are some nice new features, I'm disappointed by the new Plugin API. It is still not possible to modify all profile data via the API. Also, I was looking forward to the performance improvement given by SaveDVDToCollectionPartial(), but as it turns out, it cannot be used for changes to Notes or Events, they still require a time-consuming full save of the profile. :(
Matthias

MEJHarrison

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
That's the downside of not taking part in the beta.  This was one of the few times when Ken was very accommodating.  I made many requests during the beta that made it into the API.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
That's the downside of not taking part in the beta.  This was one of the few times when Ken was very accommodating.  I made many requests during the beta that made it into the API.

Such as access to custom crew roles? ;) Seriously, it took me about 10 minutes looking at both the CS and the PAS file to spot a couple of omissions and inconsistencies. That doesn't require any Beta testing, and it's this kind of sloppiness that just bothers me.

Still, "disappointed" might be to strong a word. The new SetDisplayedProfileIDs() function is quite cool for custom filtering by plugins and makes up for some of the missing stuff.
Matthias

MEJHarrison

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2010, 02:25:24 AM »
Oh, the plugin API is pure crap.  I won't defend it.  I'm just saying had you been around during the beta you might have had a better chance of getting some things fixed.  I got several requests addressed.

Mediadogg is in the same boat.  Sounds like he didn't start coding until the beta was done.  Now he's finding all kinds of issues that aren't likely to be fixed since it would probably require a new release of the program.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »
There are advantages of being computer illiterate...you don't know if something is crap or not! :laugh: