Author Topic: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available  (Read 19815 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
I now checked out the release notes list he posted (odd spot for that one...) and must say I am quite excited about the new features.

Also saw that some stuff builds groundwork for the iPhone app, so that appears to be next :D (soon.....ish)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
I would almost assume that it's working as designed, or at the least as intended. Ken previously made it possible to have two computers use the same database so it was logical to have them do it at the same time.

Some sort of internet access is planned, but I understand that that is for the iPhone App.

EDIT:
This was a reply to Eric's post, which has since vanished :stars:

Touti

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »
Sorry Achim,

I deleted my post.  It was there only a few minutes and I didn't think anyone had seen it yet.  I removed it because it was my mistake, the connection wasn't working because I chose a port which is not opened at work.  I picked a different port and I can open my remote database now.

I think it's a nice feature but it's not exactly what I thought it was or what I was hoping for..  Ken took the "collaboration" approach similar to what Google and Microsoft try to push with online apps as opposed to a client/server method.  Multiple people running an application and sharing a document.  The "problem" (at least for me) with the collaborative approach is that it requires the application to be running where the database resides.  I can't remotely connect to my collection unless I leave a copy of DVD running on my server at home.  I really wish Ken would move away from the database he's using and switched the whole thing to a real SQL Database like Microsoft's SQL Express and took the client/server approach.  Then one could have all his collections in separate databases but on the same database server and DVDP could connect to it either via ODBC (which wouldn't be the best choice) or a native SQL Connection without even having DVDP on the computer the database is running.

I like the idea of Sharing, I think it can be useful to people and it will be a great way to help new users because they can give someone access to their database to show them how to do something they can't figure out by themselve but.........I also wish I had a true way of remotely connecting to my DVDP Database.

Back to the current sharing feature: I don't know if it's a bug or it's just not yet implemented but although I enabled changes remotely I can't edit anything, all the options to modify stuff in the menus are grayed out.

P.S: Achim's replys was about a post I made stating that I couldn't use the sharing through an internet connection, I was getting a 10061 Socket Error.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:36:39 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
Back to the current sharing feature: I don't know if it's a bug or it's just not yet implemented but although I enabled changes remotely I can't edit anything, all the options to modify stuff in the menus are grayed out.

I found my answer.

- View-only and View/Change will be supported.  For now, View/Change allows setting Watched By only. Additional features will be added in the 3.6 cycle

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »
I like the addition to Owned, Ordered etc. I added a section "Recommendations" so that I can keep track of reviewed DVDs I find interesting. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Eric. I guess ultimately it would be great to place the database online on a server and access it from home or the iPhone, the latter with emphasis on the main application turned off...

Kathy, yhat is a great idea to make use of the custom collections!!!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 09:37:05 PM »
:o
There is one with a 6.2 and the rest is 5.0 and below!

I need a new tab in DVD Profiler, next to the Wish List: "To Avoid"
Or you can use it for this Achim :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
Or you can use it for this Achim :laugh:
...and there I was thinking I wouldn't need the feature. Now I already have two uses :thumbup:

Lostmule

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
Would there be screen capture of V3.6 ? just curious to see what the changes could look like  :yahoo:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
Ken says new Beta Monday... Sounds good from his little tease of a post he made.

http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=415974
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »
A new beta is available at the usual place.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »

I did take a look - at the forum thread, not the software - and I'm with hydr0x, this is a horrible "improvement":

- For locked profiles with an available update, when Edit is selected and prompt to Refresh is displayed:
  - If the user selects "No", the profile is set to skip the current update
  - If the user selects "Yes", a profile comparison is shown allowing selective acceptance and lock edits
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »

I did take a look - at the forum thread, not the software - and I'm with hydr0x, this is a horrible "improvement":

- For locked profiles with an available update, when Edit is selected and prompt to Refresh is displayed:
  - If the user selects "No", the profile is set to skip the current update
  - If the user selects "Yes", a profile comparison is shown allowing selective acceptance and lock edits

That just defeats the object of locking the bloody profile, surely? :shrug:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »
That just defeats the object of locking the bloody profile, surely? :shrug:

That's not my problem with it. The way it is implemented means that any info that an update is available for the profile is lost as soon as I edit the profile - unless I choose to process the update before editing the profile. I want to be able to edit the profile and maybe look at the update at a later time.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »
I was one of those who requested it.  Keep in mind it only concerns fully locked profiles.

All my season discs are fully locked because the info I have in them isn't from the online database anyway and I don't want to see them in the "updated profiles" list. By now basically every single one of them has been updated in the online database. And that means that every single time I open such a profile for editing I get this "There's an update available" and there's nothing I can do about it. If I say no it comes up the next time again. If I say yes it doesn't do anything because it's fully locked - and then it comes up the next time again...

For me this new feature is an easy way to say "Thanks but no, thanks".

Have you tried what happens if you press "no" and then unlock it manually force an update via the Online menu?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools