Author Topic: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available  (Read 19819 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler 3.6.0 Beta is available
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »
Since you may not be visiting on a regular basis, this is now available.

Thanks for the heads up (and for the nice break down in the Dev forum).

Does anyone have an idea of what new features is there ?

The announcement in the Beta forum included a feature list. I haven't installed the Beta, so I can't really comment on it.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
Does anyone have an idea of what new features is there ?  I just installed it and looked quickly but I don't see anything new..........at least nothing that I would use.

http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=175951&PageNum=26&MessageID=1072423#M1072423

You can now expand your collection into a flat list, making sortings for certain properties like watched date easier.

And you can now determin whether the program counts a profile as DVD or not thus influencing the "total #" on top of the list -> personally, I don't need that one.

Then there are new dividers for episode descriptors and cast/crew groups (e.g. for "Background Dancers").

And you can add own collection types -> e.g. for rented DVDs or sold ones, ...

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Thanks Karsten I had not looked at that thread yet.  I was waiting for Ken to add release notes in his first post of the annoucement as he said he would.

I don't understand this one: - New "Count As" setting in DVD->Personalize allows defining how many entries the profile is counted as in collection counts

Why would I want a profile to count as anything but 1 ?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
Why would I want a profile to count as anything but 1 ?

Sometimes you want boxset parents to count as 0 and only count the childs as one. Or the parent as the number of movies in it.

Or you have a DVD with two movies on it and want it to count as 2.

Or you have want to have season sets to count as something specific (like number of discs or not at all)

Touti

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:44:42 PM »
I guess I should have spent a bit of time thinking about it before asking  :-[

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 12:00:31 AM »
You can now expand your collection into a flat list, making sortings for certain properties like watched date easier.

[...]

And you can add own collection types -> e.g. for rented DVDs or sold ones, ...
I am in Germany now and have no way to try the beta myself. Could you/someone explain those two features a little more?

Flat list...? Is that people have "faked" using tags so far (e.g. using a "Box Set" tag to quickly remove the parent profiles of box sets?

Are collection types new tabs or just something assigned to a profile that helps sorting/filtering?

And what is it about Parallel mode I saw mentioned in the other forum and didn't dare to ask?

Touti

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »
Flat List: I just went through the menus and I can't find it anywhere.  I think it maybe a feature that would show your collection like an excel sheet making it easy to sort by clicking on columns without having to change your layout.....but that's only a guess.

Collection Types:  We're no longer limited to "Owned", "Ordered" and "Wishlist", we can create our own custom types and put movies in them.

Parallel Mode:  It's just a feature of Beta versions now.  When you install it it asks you (and recommends) running in parallel mode which means it will set itself to run with a new and empty default database in the "DVD Profiler Beta" folder instead of using your current database.  You're basically running 2 versions as before but now with their own databases.

Touti

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:25:47 AM »
I think I figured out the "Flat List" from a post from Karsten at Invelos.  It's an option that automatically filters out all child profiles from your list making box sets appear as single titles.  Check the attached pictures.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
Thanks Eric.

Filtering out the parents sure helps for TV series, but for movie box sets I would rather filter out the parent...

I have always been happy with the three collection types and not sure if/what for I will use it.

Parallel mode seems like a good idea. I rememeber there was trouble during the previous beta(s).

Touti

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »
I've set up the beta with a full copy of my db on my Windows Home Server.  If anyone wants to try the "sharing" feature send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you the port # and the password.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:49:16 AM by Eric »

RossRoy

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »
The flat view doesn't filter the childs out, it just removes the nesting, so you see all profiles as top level profiles.

Touti

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
You're right Seb.............I don't know how I could have missed that.

Touti

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
Anyone tried the "Rotten Tomatoes" and "Metacritics" buttons ?  They work but for me they open in IE instead of my default browser which is FF.

northbloke

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 02:35:32 AM »
Any mention of Asian name support?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:27 AM »
Any mention of Asian name support?

Nope, ANSI, not UTF
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools