Author Topic: What Was Your First?  (Read 4586 times)

Rogmeister

Re: What Was Your First?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 06:00:55 AM »
Speaking of VHS, I recall that a friend of mine got very upset when I bought my first VHS player...he had just gotten a Beta machine!  :laugh:  He is no longer a friend of mine because when a mutual friend of ours died (my best friend, in fact) he didn't go to the funeral (hated to miss one day of work) and pretty much stopped calling me shortly after that.  Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 06:11:51 AM »
Blu-Ray still holds no interest for me. I can't see buying one DVD in Blu-Ray when I can get three or more in the regular format.
Usually I say exactly the same thing, but...
The day Through the Looking Glass or The Opening of Misty Beethoven will be release in the format it will be the one I will buy my first Blu-Ray.
VCX works actually with the original master of Through the Looking Glass for a 3 disc special edition ;D
Nothing for Misty Beethoven (but I'll give anything for a commentary by Radley Metzger himself)

Of course we talk about the 2 best movies I've seen in my life ;)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
I don't remember the first film I ever saw.

1st Cinema - I am told it was Empire Strikes Back (where as a 4 year old I fell asleep, and my father still takes great pride in reminding me of this fact 29 years later.), but I have very vivid memories of seeing Star Wars at the pictures. :shrug:

1st Paid into - Backdraft or T2

1st VHS - Can't 100%, but I think that it may have been Lethal Weapon.
1st DVD - Manhunter, Alien Legacy B/S, El Mariarchi/Desperado single disc flipper.

snowcat

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
The first film I remember watching ever was Aladdin, I was around 4 ...I think that was because whilst watching it my cousins tooth fell out whilst he was eating a cheese burger.

The first films I ever bought
VHS - The Jungle Book
DVD - American Pie (1+2)
HD DVD - (King Kong)
Blu ray (Walk Hard / Step Brothers)

First VHS rental was Little Voice, I haven't rented a DVD ever :O

First TV series - Royal Family Series 1

First film I paid for myself to see at the cinema - Pokemon the first movie (lol)

First film i saw at the cinema - The Lion King

Touti

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I don't know if I ever told that story so here it is.

When I got my first DVD Player I chose a Toshiba because there was a promotion and it came with 5 movies.  Needless to say I was naive enough to think the movies would be in the box and too stupid to realize I would have to mail vouchers stating I would get my movies within 4 to 6 weeks.

Of course when I opened the box I was disappointed (and angry) and I wasn't gonna wait a month and half to try my player and the new 27" TV I had bought a few weeks earlier to have component video connections for my future DVD Player.

So I decided to go to my local video club to rent some but I saw a rack with previewed DVD's and they had one of my favorite movies ever.....................Amadeus.  I grabbed it with a big grin in my face, paid it and drove back home as fast as I safely could to try my DVD player.

There I'm sitting enjoying Amadeus with an image quality I had never seen before and having the time of my life when, after about one hour it just stops playing...........................huh ?  What the f...?    Not enjoying this so much anymore I pull the disc out, clean it, inspect it and put it back in the player, jump to the scene where it stopped and resume watching.  It plays a few minutes and stops again.  Huh ?  What the f...?  Can't they inspect these freakin' DVD's to make sure they're good before selling them back to people ?

So there goes a very angry me on his way back to the video store with my defective DVD, no more big grin on my face and ready to give them a taste of me and a lecture on quality control.  I walked into the store, asked for the manager and start telling him how unhappy I am and that it's totally unacceptable to sell people movies that are damaged and that we have better things to do in life that going back and forth between home and video stores and blah blah blah.

While I'm going through my speech which must have lasted at least 4 minutes the man never said a single word, he just stood there and looked at me with a smile.  When I finally ran out of air and stopped talking he just looked at me and said...............................the rest of the movie is on the other side sir.

My first ever DVD was Amadeus...............................and it was a flipper........................... :tomato:

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Ouch! :slaphead:

And you could have so easily put it in the wrong way around and wondered why it started in the middle...  :whistle:

I'm not laughing. Honest.

(click to show/hide)

Touti

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Ouch! :slaphead:

And you could have so easily put it in the wrong way around and wondered why it started in the middle...  :whistle:

I'm not laughing. Honest.

(click to show/hide)

Jon I like to think that if I had put it in the other way around I would have figured out that it was using both sides....................................or not  :surrender:

I know you're not laughing
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Oops.

I have put those stupid flipper ones in on the wrong side before.  Like on the full screen side when I want wide screen.

I'm thinking my stepdad put in something that the movie was split on 2 sides and it on the second half at first and it took him a while to figure out what was wrong.

Just last month they were going to watch something that had 2 discs..second disc nothing but extras.  Well he put in the second disc and then couldn't figure out how to get the movie to play.  He just hadn't paid close enough attention when he got the movie out of the case.

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »
Despite my aunt being young and Sharp for her age, she was daft as anything with dvds...

One time she sat and watched a menu for 20 minutes! On another she complained because of the silly man who kept interrupting (she'd managed to switch on a commentary!). :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »
My first ever DVD was Amadeus...............................and it was a flipper........................... :tomato:
I am not Jon, I am laughing :P

:hysterical:

Boomstick98

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »
One time she sat and watched a menu for 20 minutes! On another she complained because of the silly man who kept interrupting (she'd managed to switch on a commentary!). :laugh:

:hysterical:  Too Funny

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »
My step dad did it again the other night.   :laugh:  Same movie too.  Then he sat there trying to figure out how to get the movie to play.   :laugh:

Well, even though I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, I now have a Blu-ray movie...I got the version of Snow White that also has the DVD. 

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 11:47:52 PM »
To say Disney are consistently the most expensive, I've noticed them doing that trick of including a DVD version and think it's clever. Kids tend to watch the same movie to death; let 'em scratch up the DVD and save the Blu-Ray for proper viewings...

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »
I also don't care for when the same movie is re-issued endlessly.  They just brought out a new version of Snow White and it hasn't been that many years since the last time it came out.  And how many DVD editions is The Wizard of Oz going to get?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
I also don't care for when the same movie is re-issued endlessly.  They just brought out a new version of Snow White and it hasn't been that many years since the last time it came out.  And how many DVD editions is The Wizard of Oz going to get?
Disney re-issues on a seven-year-basis, I believe. DVDs become available for a imited only and then disappear for a couple of years again.

I own a DVD version of Wizard of Oz but after "everyone" said the Blu-ray is stunningly beautiful I ordered it yesterday. Musical is not necessarily my main genre but I enjoy a few and just in general there is a certain charm to Wizard that I find hard to resist...

Next year King Kong is getting the Blu-ray treatment and I can't wait! (not really related, but as it's the same era as Wizard I thought I through it in here :laugh:)