Author Topic: Terrible DVD Case!  (Read 4847 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Terrible DVD Case!
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:02:09 PM »
OK... I just got the TV Series Booker (spin-off of 21 Jump Street) And I must say I absolutely despise the case they used. It is one I personally never seen before.. and hopefully will never see again. Granted this set is very cheap (I paid $9.17 for the set of 20 episodes)... but they should have done better on the case then what they did!

When you first get it you see what looks to be a normal (albeit wide) Keep case...

But when you open it you find 4 envelops (1 per disc) clipped into the case...

As you can see (I know barely... quick photos not my best work)... the envelopes is what clips into the the case instead of the DVDs on hubs. So if anything happens to the envelopes then the main case is not of much good. I know... how expensive could cd envelopes be? I am sure they are cheap... but I have never seen any in my area to buy them... plus I would prefer to have black ones to match the rest of the set... which I am sure will be much harder to find.

But that really not the point I am making... was such a choice really necessary? I personally would rather have something much more standard.

What do you think?

- Like the setup?
- It is ridiculous?
- Something else?
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Terrible DVD Case!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
This is totally ridiculus, especially since there are amaray-variant cases (not that I like them but it's better than this) that can hold 4 discs on the inside of the cover (two on each side).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »
That is what I thought too... I don't particularly care for those overlapping amaray cases... but those is better then this! I would prefer the case that looks like a normal amaray (including thickness) that has 1 leaf in it.. then you have 1 on the inside front cover, side 1 of the leaf, side 2 of the leaf and then one on the inside back cover.
Pete

Touti

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
It is kind of cheap yes.  Personally I would just buy a case that can hold 4 discs and get rid of this stuff.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »
That is what I am looking into now Eric... I see that I can get some at amazon fairly cheap. But I want (need) to use the artwork from the case it came in... and the case is a little thicker then the standard (single movie) case.

It is approx. 1½ times the thickness of a standard amaray... unfortunately I don't have a handy way to measure it... do you (any of you) know what size (mm?) I need to search for to get a case I can use the original artwork in?
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
That does look bad.  Sheesh.
I don't like the overlapping ones much either, but this is ridiculous. 

I'm not happy with the cases for the last 2 seasons of The Simpsons - season 11 and 12 - either, but it is better than this.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:05:47 AM »
I've never used them and don't know how they work but there's a few sites that have rulers that you can use on screen or print.  I believe they check the resolution of your screen to be accurate.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:08 AM »
What's worse, the above a Keep case with a single spindle where all discs are stacked on top of each other...? :hmmmm:

(I have two of the latter, one is Terminator 2 and the other is the R2 release of The Frighteners). Not sure I don't prefer envelopes to direct stacking of discs.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »
That's Mill's Creek, so it isn't that much of a surprise. Just wait untill you watch them... the chance are high that it will be only a vhs recording of the show and not even a good one. I know they can be surprising with their 50 movies boxset (by exemple I've a good copy of Bad Taste from one of those set, too bad that this movie is a piece of crap), but for reaching those prices they cut a lot on the packaging.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:59:56 PM »
Yup... it is from Mill Creek Entertainment. I just don't see how they really could have saved much money on this packaging. But who knows.

At least a kind soul over at Invelos was good enough to send me a couple 4 disc keep cases. Unfortunately they were the standard thickness. So what I did was scan in the cover... took it apart (Front, Back & Spine) I then re-sized the spine some so it would fit in the thinner case... and put it back together on a Keep Case template I found online... and printed it out. It came out surprisingly well.

I did watch the first 3 episodes on this set. So far no complaints on quality. I have my fingers crossed that the rest of the episodes are as good.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 03:32:09 AM »
I'm not happy with the cases for the last 2 seasons of The Simpsons - season 11 and 12 - either, but it is better than this.

What do The Simpsons ones look like?

Boomstick98

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 03:50:40 AM »
The only set I have that has the disc envelopes like that is one of those Horror 50-packs. The Case is cardboard and the front flap opens up to reveal the discs in those same type of envelopes stacked on top of each other.  :yucky:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 04:38:16 AM »

What do The Simpsons ones look like?

The case changed for the last two seasons.  I've tried to find pictures showing what I don't like it about, but I haven't had any luck yet.  I'll have to take one eventually.  Anyway, I'll describe it the best I can.

There is this unfolding ..cardboard type of thing I guess it is.  Both sides are covered with graphics that tie in with the theme for the set.  That part is fine.  There is nothing on the sections to held the discs.  Instead, they go in these..pocket like things on one side of the cardboard thing.  They slide all the way in, so it is hard to get them out.  The opening to get at the disc is easy to miss at first - for season 11, I actually thought I had gotten a defective one at first and that it was missing the discs.  The openings are on creases where the cardboard thing folds up.

I like the artwork on the thing...but I hate how the discs are stored.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:25 AM »
The only set I have that has the disc envelopes like that is one of those Horror 50-packs. The Case is cardboard and the front flap opens up to reveal the discs in those same type of envelopes stacked on top of each other.  :yucky:

I just got one of those 50 movie packs a couple weeks back. While I don't like it... it is much better then that booker set. For one thing the envelopes in the booker set is just thin paper. in the 50 movie set they are at least cardboard.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »
The case changed for the last two seasons.  I've tried to find pictures showing what I don't like it about, but I haven't had any luck yet.  I'll have to take one eventually.  Anyway, I'll describe it the best I can.
Again? A collector's nightmare.

Last they changed for season 7(?) and the buyer#s uproar made them send out regular slip cases packaging to the people who had bought the plastic crap they sold at first. Season 7 is incidentally the last one I purchased.