Author Topic: Crew Edit 2 - Looking for beta testers  (Read 19015 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Crew Edit 2 - Looking for beta testers
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »
After I finished my own database with Cast/Crew Edit 2 I wanted to check if everything went as expected since I was constantly improving the program while working with it.

Thus I written a small add-on if you will that checks the data of DVD Profiler against what's in the Cast/Crew Edit 2 cache file. This way it's also possible to find Birth Years that have been added while downloading profiles but aren't in the Cache file - which can lead to inconsistencies.

Check out (and beware of my lengthy names ;)) Compare DVD Profiler XML and Cast/Crew Edit 2 Cache
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Speaking of birth years:

I went through my entire collection and converted all my profiles using BY's for any C&C that had them. One thing I noticed was that if someone didn't have a BY associated with them, and they shared a common name with someone else who had a BY, it parsed the non-BY person into the BY person.

Also, if someone had no BY, and shared a common name with another person without a BY, it parsed them together also.

Could you create an option that adds the Roman numeral suffix that IMDB uses to distinguish between these people, to the person's last name? I've been doing it manually when I find such a person, but the only way I've been able to find these people is to use Mark's Database Query, using a query of longest gap between roles. So I know that I'm probably missing a lot of them.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
I went through my entire collection and converted all my profiles using BY's for any C&C that had them. One thing I noticed was that if someone didn't have a BY associated with them, and they shared a common name with someone else who had a BY, it parsed the non-BY person into the BY person.

Also, if someone had no BY, and shared a common name with another person without a BY, it parsed them together also.

That's unfortunately the standard behaviour of DVD Profiler when you paste data into it. Though you can (manually) create one entry with a BY and another without. But since DVD profiler has no real identifier it will mash them when all data is identical.

The problem with numeral would be that the cache is dynamically growing and it wouldn't be clear when a numeral would be needed.

I thought about the problem myself but dismissed it because in my case it only concerns cast I don't care about anyway (I don't know of any two known/relevant persons that have absolutely identical data.

But I could writer another check program that looks over the cache and points out persons that cannot be distinguished from one another by DVD Profiler.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
But I could writer another check program that looks over the cache and points out persons that cannot be distinguished from one another by DVD Profiler.

Done: http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/index_en.php#CheckForDuplicatesInCastCrewEdit2Cache
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
The XML format of the new version 3.6.0 seems to have become stable, so I released a new version compatible with DVD Profiler 3.6.0. As always, it can be found under http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/index_en.php.
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
Karsten...
I started using this for that 100 movie boxset that I got (Figured it would make a good starting point for me since I am one of the ones that prefer as on screen. :P). Anyway... I got it all working except it is not pulling the headshots. Tell me I am missing something simple there.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
Karsten...
I started using this for that 100 movie boxset that I got (Figured it would make a good starting point for me since I am one of the ones that prefer as on screen. :P). Anyway... I got it all working except it is not pulling the headshots. Tell me I am missing something simple there.

Have you set the option in the options? The headshots will be stored into a folder that is where the .exe lies. The folder Images\DVDProfiler will only contain the images of the last movie you scanned while the folder Images\CastCrewEdit2 contains all images you ever scanned.
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
OK... great.. Thanks... I was thinking it would automatically put them into profiler. Not just download them into a file folder.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Pete, you may not want to pull the headshots from IMDB, they tend to be rather shoddy most of the time. You'd be better off just using the headshot master database instead.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
Yeah... I noticed this when I just looked in the folder that held the headshots. But I don't see myself using the headshot master database either... as I don't want a bunch of unneeded birth years.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Yeah... I noticed this when I just looked in the folder that held the headshots. But I don't see myself using the headshot master database either... as I don't want a bunch of unneeded birth years.

As far as I understand it is, they try to not use birth years unless it's necessary.
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
I don't know... I just know that the only time I tried it (early on)... it put a load of birth years into my database that was not needed.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
I just asked over there to see if they indeed fixed it.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
If I remember correctly, Dr. Killpatient went through the entire headshot DB and removed them. I remember him being very frustrated with the amount he found and asked everyone to remove theirs before submitting new headshots.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
Thanks... I am downloading the first section of it now. :)
Pete