Poll

Will I Make 92 Days without watching any horror?

What are you smokin?... There is no way!
4 (26.7%)
I Have  Faith!... You will make it!
11 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Will I Make It?  (Read 47399 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Will I Make It?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
I will have to wait and see about the extras since I already have the first release.  Watched it back in May... close to my B'day.  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
It's from Anchor Bay so I supposed that some nice extra will be present. At least a better cover and the original music for the first murder sequence. But I'm in the waiting camp also and waiting for the apparition at Amazon.ca

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »
Maybe we will get the original poster art this time?  ;D
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »
I want to give two thumbs up (:thumbup: :thumbup:) to Pete.

Rather than watchign stuff and not telling anyone you are taking this very seriously and even with the slightest doubt you come here to consult with friends. Great!

I have not seen Twilight and don't intend to, so no further comment from me.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »

I have seen it a while ago and I wanted to write a review for it, but together with two other movies starring Kristen Stewart. Somehow that seems just too heavy a task for me, as I have not yet gotten around to actually do it.  :bag:

Anyway. Yes, it is a pretty stupid movie, but it isn't without merit. Some beautiful photography for example, before the camera goes all bonkers and endlessly swirls around the two stars. By our icon rating system, it gets an from me, which puts it above The Dark Knight, Taken and other overrated stuff.  :P Compared to Let the Right One In it doesn't fare well, of course, as the one with the much younger characters is the much more mature one.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
But, Matthias, is it a horror?  :tease:

While we're chatting about unusual vampire movies, have any of you seen George Romero's Martin? Very odd film, frequently brilliant and made long before any of the current spins on vampires. It's about a boy who might be a vampire, but it is never made explicit. The camera work is though and the story is typically ironic from Romero. At the same time, it couldn't be further from his Dead films. Highly recommended, though I make no guarantee you'll like it. Jimmy might appreciate it more than anyone actually.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2009, 01:17:13 PM »
Actually I own it ;D

Haven't watched it for quite some time, but it's the best thing that Romero had directed. Great performance from John Amplas in the title role and Lincoln Maazel as his uncle or grandfather (I've forgot). Very poetic, romantic and different movie it's too bad Romero hadn't made more films like this one. I will sure rewatch it this october.

interesting fact : Roger Caine, a name who appears often in my reviews, play a small role in the movie under the name Al Levitsky (his real name)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:18:58 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
I want to give two thumbs up (:thumbup: :thumbup:) to Pete.

Rather than watchign stuff and not telling anyone you are taking this very seriously and even with the slightest doubt you come here to consult with friends. Great!

Thanks Achim... When I put my word on something, that means a lot to me. And I will do everything in my power to keep my word. That includes what a lot of people consider the little things like something like this. That is not to say I won't fail...  as 3 months is a very long time for ME to go without horror! But if I do fail it will because I admit defeat and just can't take it any longer.

And believe me... we are only on the 18th day... and I am already feeling it pretty strong... that I am starting to weaken. I am already looking at my list of movies and nothing is popping out at me (other then the horror) which is probably why I haven't watched many (only 1) movies this weekend so far. I am more concentrating on my Lois & Clark marathon.

But, Matthias, is it a horror?  :tease:

I was actually waiting for the same thing when I was reading his post.  :P

While we're chatting about unusual vampire movies, have any of you seen George Romero's Martin? Very odd film, frequently brilliant and made long before any of the current spins on vampires. It's about a boy who might be a vampire, but it is never made explicit. The camera work is though and the story is typically ironic from Romero. At the same time, it couldn't be further from his Dead films. Highly recommended, though I make no guarantee you'll like it. Jimmy might appreciate it more than anyone actually.

I never seen that one... but one of the oddest ones I ever seen was The Hamiltons. Unfortunately I didn't care for it much.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »
That is not to say I won't fail...  as 3 months is a very long time for ME to go without horror!
Understand perfectly the feeling. I can't imagine being that long not watching my favorite genre... 3 months without mine I will be dead for sure (metaphorically talking of course :laugh:).

I'm sure you will succeed Pete just like you did last year :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »
Thanks Jimmy... only time will tell for sure.

Looking at your recently watched banner You reminded me of a movie I haven't seen in years! I would love to watch it again... but unfortunately I don't have it. I will have to add it to my collection sometime soon here. That is Dirty Harry.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
Compared to Let the Right One In it doesn't fare well, of course, as the one with the much younger characters is the much more mature one.
I am fairly certain I wold not rate it higher than The Dark Knight and probably also not Taken.

Talking about Let the Right One In, The region B in the UK is about to be release, August 3 if memory serves. Momentum has a 50% track record to put stuff out region free (I am looking at the Blu-ray), which of course is probably related to the deal they make with the owner of the copyright. I would rather not own the movie than pay Magnolia again.

Actually I own it ;D

Haven't watched it for quite some time, but it's the best thing that Romero had directed.
I own it too :D Have watched it even. ;D

I will most certainly not say it's Romero's best film, that is Dawn of the Dead, but it's certainly quite good. Tom Savini had a small role in it too. I remember being a tad disappointed by the lack of gore :bag:

Najemikon

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »
I will most certainly not say it's Romero's best film, that is Dawn of the Dead, but it's certainly quite good. Tom Savini had a small role in it too. I remember being a tad disappointed by the lack of gore :bag:

I agree. Dawn of the Dead is too confident and well executed to come second to Martin. But Martin is probably his most ambitious, bravest and most personal film. Like Jimmy, I wish he had done more like that, but I'll always give a Romero film a second glance because you see here what he is capable of. That's why I couldn't dismiss Diary. It was flawed, but still had something to say.

Najemikon

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Thanks Jimmy... only time will tell for sure.

Looking at your recently watched banner You reminded me of a movie I haven't seen in years! I would love to watch it again... but unfortunately I don't have it. I will have to add it to my collection sometime soon here. That is Dirty Harry.

Just got the Blu-Ray!  :thumbup: Marvellous film. Still makes me laugh to think Sinatra was lined up for it...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
Achim this isn't that kind of movie :tease:

Anyway Dawn of Dead is overated, Day of the Dead is better. I don't say that I don't like it, just that I don't think that it's the best Romero's movie.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:07:49 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2009, 02:09:19 PM »
Just got the Blu-Ray!  :thumbup: Marvellous film. Still makes me laugh to think Sinatra was lined up for it...
Just the first one or you have the complete serie of Dirty Harry?