Author Topic: Michael Jackson dead  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Jackson dead
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 07:25:41 AM »
I may not be a fan of 90% of his things but I can still appreciate his skills.
This is exactly where I stand. I still like his faster and rockier songs from the 80s, such as Beat It (classic solo by Eddie Van Halen!), Thriller, Bad and possibly a few others. I do, however, not care at all about anything else he's done. I have been thinking at times about buying a music video collection of his just for Thriller (John Landis!) and Bad (Martin Scrocese!!!).

Prince had been another one of those artists for me, never enjoyed moist of his music but still acknowledged that he was obviously very skillful at what he did. Of course, he then became "the artist formerly known as Prince" ::)

As for record sales, where does Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell stand...? Well, besides being a great album (one of my favorites) I found this on Wikipedia: The album was not an immediate hit; it was more of a growing one. Bat out of Hell still sells about 200,000 copies per year and has sold an estimated 43 million copies worldwide...

RossRoy

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
................wait until Celine Dion dies.
Hell on earth, at least here :laugh:

(...) I hate, loathe, detest and despise that fucking song and the sodding thing will be on a constant loop.
Consider yourself lucky, here we must endure her 2 times more. The radio plays her english and french song, the fact that the media had decided here that she is a goddess on earth make it very hard to not listen her songs

She is one of only three people for whom I will actually get off my butt and go turn off the radio. I can't stand her, be it interview or singing. I just can't stand her.

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »
................wait until Celine Dion dies.
Hell on earth, at least here :laugh:

(...) I hate, loathe, detest and despise that fucking song and the sodding thing will be on a constant loop.
Consider yourself lucky, here we must endure her 2 times more. The radio plays her english and french song, the fact that the media had decided here that she is a goddess on earth make it very hard to not listen her songs or heard about her everyday. Even last week the media had talked more of her than any other people who had received the Governor medals (or something like that) and she was not even one of those (her husband had received it and don't ask me why... can't understand the reasoning). 

Surely being Celine Dion's husband requires some sort of medal... :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:11:47 PM by Jon »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
Surely being Celine Dion's husband requires some sort of medal... :shrug:
Or maybe he is being penalized for something he did :devil:

On topic:

JamesNintendoNerd commented.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:25:26 PM by Achim »

Touti

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
As for record sales, where does Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell stand...? Well, besides being a great album (one of my favorites) I found this on Wikipedia: The album was not an immediate hit; it was more of a growing one. Bat out of Hell still sells about 200,000 copies per year and has sold an estimated 43 million copies worldwide...

In the states it's at position 28 with 14 million copies sold.

http://www.riaa.org/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTop100

Worldwide, according to Wikipedia it would be 4th with 43 millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

Seems I have to place Wikipedia more prominent in my bookmarks and use it more often...

Touti

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
I'm beginning to think that I liked him when he was alive after all................at least he wasn't painted wall to wall on the web.

Touti

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

Seems I have to place Wikipedia more prominent in my bookmarks and use it more often...

To tell you the truth I don't really trust Wikipedia on this.  There is no governing body to keep track of record sales worldwide and the record companies, managers and artists are known for boosting their numbers whenever they can.

I would however trust RIAA for US sales and that's why Wikipedia numbers don't make sense to me.  If Thriller sold less in the states than Eagles Greatest Hits I think it's doubtful that it would have sold more than twice as much in the rest of the world.

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

To tell you the truth I don't really trust Wikipedia on this.  There is no governing body to keep track of record sales worldwide and the record companies, managers and artists are known for boosting their numbers whenever they can.

I would however trust RIAA for US sales and that's why Wikipedia numbers don't make sense to me.  If Thriller sold less in the states than Eagles Greatest Hits I think it's doubtful that it would have sold more than twice as much in the rest of the world.

I think they sound dead on. You only have to think of Country music. My Dad loved all sorts of music, but Country was by far his favourite. Over the years I came to know names (beyond the classics like Parton, Cash, Wynette and Harris) that were huge in the States. So huge, that worldwide they were amongst the biggest selling artists of all-time: Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Reba McEntire (apparently outselling Madonna by some margin at one point) and bands like The Mavericks and especially, The Eagles (who my Dad detested, but I digress! :P).

Thing is, very few in the UK has heard of any of these people. Shania Twain had a brief run of success and The Eagles are well known by age, but not sales. Someone like Dwight Yoakam is far better known as an actor and even then, only just.

Now consider that Jackson's last number one was in the UK and his comeback concerts in a few weeks were in London, his fan-base here is stronger than The Eagles by I'd guess, 100-1. Probably a lot more.

Same thing happens with a lot of films. I think Tarantino is very fond of the UK because Reservoir Dogs broke out here while it was still under the radar in America.

Touti

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
I'm still not convinced Jon.  I'm not saying that worldwide sales of Thriller should logically be under Eagles just because they are in the US, that would be stupid.  It's most probable than it sold more worldwide than any other album......but more than twice as much ?

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
Easily.

I can't think of anyone I know that probably has The Eagles' album. No reflection on them, but the UK ain't their base.  :shrug:

We have lots of request shows on the radio and Hotel California is a common one, but I must have heard every major Jackson track a dozen more times than that one. Thank God.  :-X

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 04:11:47 AM »
Same thing happens with a lot of films. I think Tarantino is very fond of the UK because Reservoir Dogs broke out here while it was still under the radar in America.
So it's your fault if I've to endure his crap for years :laugh:

Touti

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
I wonder how they will handle the burial, we're not supposed to bury plastic..........are they gonna recycle his face ?

Sorry  :-[

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
(click to show/hide)
:-[

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
From the always reliable news source that is The Sun

Fans claim that Michael Jacksons ghost has been spotted at Neverland.