Author Topic: Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
I get the error message as in the thread title when trying to post.

I get the same message when trying to logout; after clickng the logout link for 5-6 times it will finally do so.

I am using Safari and think it may have started with the final release of version 4; although the Beta worked fine for several weeks. I made no new settings after installing the final version. I use 1 (or 2...?) plugins to remove ads.

Anyone have an idea what I could check or try to make it work again? What would be likely to cause that error? (I don't really want to have two browsers open all the time and switch to Firefox just for this site.)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Sorry, I've never seen that error before.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

I've seen that error often, sometimes I couldn't even perform forum maintenance for several days.  It's usually related to the cache.  Clearing all the cache files and cookies and restarting the browser usually fixes the problem.

Achim check the address bar in your browser when you navigate on the forum, if you see "sessionid" or anything related to "session" in the address there's a chance you will have this problem.  Usually after a while the cache gets cleaned and the forum stops using the sessions and only rely on the cookies.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Cleared cache and deleted the site related cookie. Clicked Reply in another thread and got the same message. :weep:

Well, I may have to wait for Safari 4.01 then... FWIW, I used to have similar problems with the German forum for something like 9 months, until an update for Firefox suddenly made the problem go away :shrug:

Touti

Achim did you close and restart your browser after clearing the cache ?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Yes. I made a point of that, thinking that that might be a "requirement".

I will try again tomorrow or Wednesday and let you know the results. Maybe I will delete all cookies wholesale that time.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Tried again and it's still not working.

Achim check the address bar in your browser when you navigate on the forum, if you see "sessionid" or anything related to "session" in the address there's a chance you will have this problem.  Usually after a while the cache gets cleaned and the forum stops using the sessions and only rely on the cookies.
That is exactly what I am seeing here. I believe that was the same when I had the problem in the German forum.

So what's the remedy. Just give it a few weeks and keep trying, until Safari decides to use the cookies? My cookies are set to "only from sites I visit" which should be sufficient, right?

Touti

I'm surprised that you're the only one with this issue but there's 2 things that I think Karsten could try.

1: Admin Panel->Maintenance->Forum Maintenance->Empty out unimportant log.

2: Use phpMyAdmin to empty the smf_log_online and smf_sessions tables.  Karsten make sure you empty empty them, don't drop them because the forum won't recreate them.  Here's the commands just in case you're not familiar with SQL.

truncate smf_log_online
truncate smf_sessions

Also.  According to the SMF Community, it seems that if errors occur on the server or mysql crashes for any reason it will do a core dump and you'd end up with files named core.xxxxxx

It's not clear how but some seem to say that these files could be the cause of the problem (although I doubt it would affect only one user).  They recommended checking with the host if they can be removed.

One more thing Karsten.  Maybe you can try copying to your server and run it.  It's gonna check for important settings and allow you to fix them.  Don't worry, it won't change anything automatically.  The cookie and database session settings seem important in everything I read about this problem
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:40:54 PM by Eric »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
OK,

I've done everything of the above. I even changed the cookie name which means everyone will be forced to login again.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

It looks like the repair_settings program put the default skin back to the original setting.  Maybe you should set everyone back to "Ocean" to make sure everything works fine.  I had done a bit of customizing in that skin which I forced everyone to use.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:23:25 AM »
I just updated to Safari 4.0.1 and then found the updates in this thread. So far no change.

When I try to log out I see this in the address bar:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php?action=logout;sesc=b70200fc8d7a3d1c632da8db2df8b388
(of course the session id changes every time). I need several clicks on the Logout button until it sticks.

Eric, you mention that others should have the problem too. I am not so sure about that. since I only have the problem with Safari (4.x). I am posting from Firefox on the smae computer now and my IE at work also makes no trouble. Maybe I should check with Opera, as Safari and Opera are the only two following all standards... :hmmmm:

Touti

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
Most of the threads about this problem reported on SMF's forum were either admins getting this error when trying to install packages or all their users getting whenever they clicked somewhere.

What I meant is if you're the only one having it then it's either a problem with your account (Maybe an old session hung on the server) or on your end.  Now if you only have this problem with Safari but not with other browsers it's obviously not something on the server so it would appear that the new Safari doesn't handle cookies the same way it did before.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 04:13:46 AM »
Looks like it boils down to that...

I'll play with the settings for cookies a bit and see if I can improve. I also may want to check Apple's support forums to see if I find similar complaints about Safari.

Thanks so far, Eric and Karsten!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
Test

EDIT:
Only the word "Test" was posted from Safari, and that only after previewing it for three times ??? After that it was back to the previous status.

Looked around the Apple forums today and found one thread which described my situation almost to the t!!! However, there was no answer or any response to the week-old post  :( I bumped it and will see what happens. At least I am not alone... :-\
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:14:02 PM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Meanwhile, you've watched the Bourne movies! So what you think?