Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151589 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #435 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:09 AM »
And I just got another list of titles...

Notes on a Scandal
Academy Award® Winners 'JUDI DENCH' and 'CATE BLANCHETT' give wickedly entertaining, Oscar®-Nominated performances - one as a woman consumed by her colleague's guilty secret, the other, a victim to her own dark obsessions - in this sexy, stylish thriller.

Dench mesmerizes as Barbara Covett, a teacher who rules over her classroom with an iron fist, yet leads a desperate, solitary life outside it. That is, until she meets radiant new art teacher Sheba Hart (Blanchett). Although at first overjoyed with her newfound kindred spirit, when Barbara discovers that Sheba is having an affair with a teenage student, her jealously and rage spiral out of control.

Also starring 'BILL NIGHY', 'NOTES ON A SCANDAL' "has all the right ingredients: lust, greed, envy, secrets, lies, betrayal!" ('Interview')
Open Water
In search of much needed relaxation, Susan and Daniel take a tropical island vacation. While scuba diving miles off the coast, the tour guide miscounts leaving them abandoned in the middle of the ocean. As the hours pass, the couple realizes they are not alone as a shark's fin breaks the surface water. Over the next 24 hours, the couple must fight to stay afloat and alive, surrounded by miles of ocean.
Saving Silverman
Darren Silverman (Jason Biggs), Wayne Lefessier (Steve Zahn) and J.D McNugent (Jack Black) have been best friends since the fifth grade.

Enter Judith (Amanda Peet), a cold-hearted beauty who digs her claws into sweet-natured Darren. She snatches him from his friends and even breaks up their cover band. J.D. and Wayne try every imaginable scheme to save Darren — and their friendship — but fail miserably. When they find out Darren has been brainwashed into marrying Judith, the dim-witted duo decide to kidnap her and reunite Darren with his long-lost love, before she becomes a nun!
RV
Robin Williams is in top form as an overworked husband and father trying to keep it all together in RV, an outrageous family comedy that everyone can relate to.

The Munro family is really looking forward to their vacation in Hawaii, so when dad's boss says he must attend a meeting in Colorado or lose his job, he is desperate for an alternate plan. He drags his reluctant family on the road trip with the promise that they will bond during their quality time together. Right from the get-go it's obvious it's going to be a bumpy and hilarious ride!
License to Wed
Drive through downtown Chicago. Blindfolded. Care for two screaming, slobbering, creepy-looking babies. Robot babies. Give up sex. Yes, even that. Oh, the things Rev. Frank has you do before you say "I do!"

Robin Williams, Mandy Moore and John Krasinski headline this zany, light-hearted romantic comedy about a young couple eager to walk down the aisle and the bride's minister, who aims to lower the divorce rate by busting up incompatible twosomes before the shoes and rice. Sign up for Rev. Frank's marriage preparation course. It's tougher than boot camp. And a whole lot funnier!
Rounders
Academy Award® winner* Matt Damon (The Bourne Supremacy) and Edward Norton (The Italian Job) star in this story of passion, risk and the extreme price of friendship!  After losing a high-stakes card game, Mike (Damon) gives up gambling for law school and a fresh start with his girlfriend (Gretchen Mol – Cradle Will Rock).  But then his best buddy (Norton) gets out of prison and in over his head with a ruthless card shark (John Malkovich – Being John Malkovich).  From there, Mike's strong sense of loyalty – and the lure of the game – draws him back to the tables in a game he cannot afford to lose!  Also starring John Turturro (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) and Oscar® winner† Martin Landau (Ed Wood).

* Best Original Screenplay, 1997, Good Will Hunting
† Best Supporting Actor, 1994, Ed Wood
The Penguins of Madagascar
Buckle up for an all-new adventure! In THE PENGUINS OF MADAGASCAR, Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private are back as an elite strike force with top-tier commando skils headquartered at the Central Park Zoo. And Julien, former self-proclaimed "King of the Lemurs," has just arrived to shake things up a bit. There goes the neighborbood!
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
Hmmm, I thought you already had RV?  Don't I recall reading a review by you of this?  Maybe it was one of those you watched from On Demand?  Unless I'm totally mistaken, of course!  Strangely enough, Big is the only movie of your lists in the last two posts that I have seen, though you do list one other movie I have (but just haven't gotten around to watching yet).  I loved Big, in case you were wondering.  That was one of several consecutive movies directed by Penny Marshall that were big hits.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:50 AM »
Actually it was one I didn't care to much for on first viewing and sent to you Roger... But I decided when it was offered to me that I would give it another chance since I really normally like Robin Williams a lot.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »
Just found out one more title she is sending me...

The Village
M. Night Shyamalan (Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense), the director who brought you the world's greatest thrillers on DVD, now creates his most thought-provoking triumph yet...breaking international records and dazzling audiences around the globe! The Village is a smart, edge-of-your-seat chiller crawling with terrifying surprises and frightening twists and turns. An isolated, tight-knit community lives in mortal fear of an oppressive evil inhabiting the forbidden forest just beyond their tiny village. So frightening that no one ventures into the woods...until one villager dares to face the unknown. With unforgettable performances from Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver, William Hurt, Adrien Brody and newcomer Bryce Dallas Howard, this powerful motion picture is one of Hollywood's best psychological thrillers and ranks with the best of Hitchcock!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
There are only two good films by M Night Shyamalan and The Village isn't one of them...  :P

Good bunch otherwise though. I noticed Notes on a Scandal there even. Great little British film.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Really? I remember seeing The Village on cable a while back ago (probably a few years ago) and remember enjoying it quite a bit. At least I thought it was that one... now you have me questioning my memory.

I guess I will see when  it gets here.

After seeing your post I just watched the trailer for Notes on a Scandal... definitely looked interesting. Will have to remember to watch that one shortly after it gets here.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
There are only two good films by M Night Shyamalan and The Village isn't one of them...  :P.
I really hope that Signs isn't one of them. The big surprise ending is so incredibly stupid that it was the last time I watched one of his movies. Too bad since The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable weren't too bad, not worthy of a rewatch when you know the twist but well done.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Too bad since The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable weren't too bad, not worthy of a rewatch when you know the twist but well done.

I disagree. Especially "The Sixth Sense" is worth to rewatch even knowing the twist.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Maybe to watch it from the perspective of the other protagonist, at least it's the only reason I can think of :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
I always liked The Sixth Sense a lot... I watched it probably 4 or 5 times now... and enjoyed it every time I watched it. :)

Signs I watched the once and that was it. Remembered I enjoyed it well enough but never went back to it. Don't really remember the story or ending anymore though.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Maybe to watch it from the perspective of the other protagonist, at least it's the only reason I can think of :shrug:

Have you watched Sixth Sense more than once?

Najemikon

« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
In the interests of full disclosure, I did mean The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Signs annoyed me, The Village I gave up on because it was annoying me even more (but it had plenty of fans from back when people thought Night could still do well). The ones since I can't get near because they look awful and review worse. Like the one with Mark Whalberg fighting Hay Fever or something...  ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
Have you watched Sixth Sense more than once?
No, but this is what I do usually with movie with a big surprise reveal at the end, by exemple I bought Soylent Green and watched it only once. Not because it isn't a good film, but I don't see any reason to rewatch it since I know the end. But I can rewatch Citizen Kane even with knowing the end, because this film is not just a big reveal at the end.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
As a matter of fact I didn't really like The Sixth Sense the first time around. But the twist put a whole spin on the movie and I left the cinema having enjoyed the movie. Later when I saw it again on DVD and knowing the twist, I liked it a lot more. You can see how much went into making the twist work. It's one of the few movies, which gets better knowing the twist instead of lessen its impact.
"The Sixth Sense" is Shyamalan's only movie which isn't just a big reveal at the end.

Najemikon

« Reply #449 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »
Well, I agree with Jimmy's principle, but I do agree with Tom that The Sixth Sense is a genuine drama with value beyond the twist. Watching it again, your attention is forced away from Willis and you find something else. I do think Unbreakable has a similar quality, it's after then with Signs it all goes a bit contrived.