Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151563 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »
Since all the posts lately have been going into one "huge box"...you need to change this post heading to "the same old DVD package"!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
 :laugh: No need to change it now... I am fairly certain that this box should be pretty darn close to being full! If not full with that last selection!
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
Wow...I checked page 1 of this thread...I didn't realize this was going to be an ongoing thing.  Strangely enough, this thread started with a package I sent you.  I don't remember...did you ever read those comics I sent?  I can't remember if you ever mentioned reading them.  I know you've reviewed at least some of the DVDs I sent you (like Wyatt Earp and 40 Guns)...  ::)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
Yup... both Britt and I read and enjoyed them! :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »
Ahhh, so this is all your fault Roger...Pete is addicted and you are the enabler that started all this.  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Not like Kathy had anything to do with it... huh Kathy?  :tease:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:43 PM »
But note this thread's title is ANOTHER DVD Care Package so this was NOT his first!  Someone else started it all...I am totally innocent!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2011, 11:34:24 PM »
It actually originally started with a couple different people. Neither of which comes to this site.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 06, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
Just found out about a few more titles...

The Good Girl
Jennifer Aniston turns in "a fantastic performance" (Us Weekly) in this quirky comedy about first encounters and second chances. Thirty-year-old Justine Last (Aniston) longs for a life more fulfilling than the one she leads with her boring husband (John C. Reilly) and dead-end job at the Retail Rodeo. But when a passionate young co-worker (Jake Gyllenhaal) catches her eye and steals her heart, Justine's good-girl existence takes a turn for the worse — with unexpected and comical results.
The Good Shepherd
Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie and Robert De Niro star in this powerful thriller about the birth of the CIA. Edward Wilson (Damon) believes in America, and will sacrifice everything he loves to protect it. But as one of the covert founders of the CIA, Edward's youthful idealism is slowly eroded by his growing suspicion of the people around him. Everybody has secrets...but will Edward's destroy him? With an all-star cast including Alec Baldwin, Billy Crudup, William Hurt, Timothy Hutton and John Turturro, it's the gripping story David Ansen of Newsweek hails as "spellbinding."
The Gift
Oscar®-nominee* and Golden Globe Winner** Cate Blanchett leads an incredible all-star cast including Academy Award®-winner*** Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry), Keanu Reeves (The Matrix), Katie Holmes (Wonder Boys), Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan), and Oscar®-nominee**** Greg Kinnear (As Good As It Gets) in this stylishly filmed mystery that's as eerie as a backwoods swamp with a dark secret beneath its even darker surface.

Widow and mother of three, Annie Wilson (Blanchett), makes her living by foretelling others' futures...though her own has become cloudier than even she can see. Threatened by client's violently jealous husband (Reeves) and plagues by visions of a missing town-girl (Holmes), Annie is unwittingly pulled into a thicket of lies and deception in which her extraordinary gift could be used against her...and get her killed.

Written by Billy Bob Thornton (Sling Blade) and Tom Epperson (A Family Thing), and directed by Sam Raimi (A Simple Plan), The Gift is a gripping tale of supernatural intrigue...and chilling terror.

* 1999 Best Actress, Elizabeth
** 1999 Best Actress, Elizabeth
*** 2000 Best Actress, Boys Don't Cry
**** 1998 Best Supporting Actor, As Good As It Gets
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
I just watched the trailer for The Gift... looks very good... can't wait to check it out!

I noticed that DVD Profiler has the Genres for this one as...

- Suspense/Thriller
- Drama
- Horror

Now all I saw was the trailer but going by the trailer...

Suspense/Thriller seems about right
Drama Not so sure I would use that... but it seems to be put on most profiles for some reason. But not what I think when I think of Dramas.
Horror I didn't see anything in the trailer to make me think Horror.

So 2 questions to those of you that have seen it...

1. Is it any good?
2. What do you think of the Genres that are listed on it?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »
And I just got another message with a few more titles!

How High
Two of music's hottest multi-platinum recording superstars, Method Man and Redman team up in this outrageous hit that Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times hails, "A raunchy good-natured comedy!" Silas (Method Man) and Jamal (Redman) are slackers with a talent for botany ( and booty) and a knack for staying far away from school. Against all odds, both ace a college entrance exam and end up being accepted to Harvard, where they turn the school upside down in their pursuit of parties, honeys and outrageous hi-jinks!
Hamburger Hill
Vietnam, 1969. Hill 937. 10 Days. 70% casualties. Those are the facts – this is the story.

The men of Bravo Company are facing a battle that's all uphill...up Hamburger Hill. Fourteen war-weary soldiers are battling for a mud-covered mound of earth so named because it chews up soldiers like chopped meat. They are fighting for their country, their fellow soldiers and their lives. War is hell, but this is worse. HAMBURGER HILL tells about the way it really was. It's a raw, gritty and totally unrelenting dramatic depiction of one of the fiercest battles of America's bloodiest war. Dodge the gunfire. Get caught behind enemy lines. Go into battle beside the brave young men who fought and died. Feel their desperation and futility. This happened. HAMBURGER HILL – war at its worst, men at their best.
Hush
JESSICA LANGE, Academy Award® winner (Tootsie, Best Supporting Actress, 1982; Blue Sky, Best Actress, 1994),  and GWYNETH PALTROW star in this intricate, intense thriller about a young bride who becomes the emotional pawn of her controlling mother-in-law.

Without family of her own, Helen is initially charmed by her impressive in-law and the sprawling estate where she lives. But behind the storybook scene lie dangerous secrets and dark motives. With the chilling undertones of Rosemary's Baby, HUSH is a nightmarish lullaby of a maternal love that leads into madness.
Into the Blue
Red-hot action superstars Paul Walker and Jessica Alba heat up the screen as two sexy young divers who dream of finding hidden treasure. When they take some friends (Scott Caan and Ashley Scott) on an extreme sport adventure, the last thing they expect to see below the shark-infested waters is a legendary pirate ship rumored to contain millions of dollars in gold. But their incredible good fortune is short-lived, as a ruthless gang of deadly criminals gets word of what they have uncovered. The discovery of a lifetime could just cost the treasure hunters their lives, in the exciting new thriller from the director of Blue Crush.

Into the Blue.... the front cover alone tells me it is a must see! Jessica Alba in a bikini!  :drooling:  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
I saw The Gift...I think it is pretty good.  Definitely suspenseful....maybe a few horror elements. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2011, 02:03:12 AM »
And what do you know... told about a couple more titles...

Blue Crush
They're three friends with one passion: fulfilling their dream of living the ultimate adventure amid the island paradise of Hawaii's fabled North Shore! Hailed as an exhilarating "fun ride" by People Magazine, Blue Crush is an adrenaline-powered story of heartfelt friendship and non-stop action that The Washington Post raves is "a big, sexy, sun-splashed thrill."
Showtime
'Showtime' is fun time, an action/comedy tale of mismatched LAPD partners (Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy) directed by Tom Dey ('Shanghai Noon'). De Niro, wearing a slow-burn scowl like a badge, plays Mitch, a cop's cop forced by his superiors to be the focus of a reality-TV series. Murphy plays Trey, a camera-ready officer more eager to hit his mark than hit the streets. Backed by a ratings-obsessed producer (Rene Russo) and coached in the finer points of TV copdom by a veteran star (William Shatner, spoofing his 'T.J. Hooker'), Mitch and Trey become America's favorite buddy cops. But reel life soon gives way to the real. A brutal crimelord must be stopped- and that's where the shrapnel hits the fan

But I THINK this is the last for the package. As she said she wants to try to get the package out to the mail to me on Tuesday. Though that may not happen as she has a couple busy days ahead of her right now.

If the above is indeed the last of the titles in this package... then I am looking at a HUGE box containing up over 108 titles. I say up over because she is also sending a few to Brittany in this box (which I didn't count) as well as a couple that wasn't in profiler for me to look up and post about.

Wow! What a huge package coming my way! The biggest I have ever gotten from anyone without a doubt!

Let me just say a great big public THANK YOU to my friend!

:thanks:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #493 on: March 06, 2011, 03:05:07 AM »
That certainly is a big bunch of movies. :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »
Looks like she was able to fit in a few more titles in the box...

In the Heat of the Night
Starring Academy Award® winners Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger and Lee Grant,* this provacative mystery thriller won five 1967 Oscars® including Best Picture. Highlighted by an evocative score from Oscar®-winning composer Quincy Jones,** In The Heat Of The Night is a "powerful film" (The New York Times) that delivers the "highest level of exciting entertainment" (New York Daily News)!

While traveling in the deep south, Virgil Tibbs, a black Philadelphia homicide detective, becomes unwittingly embroiled in the murder investigation of a prominent buisnessman when he is first accused of the crime — and then asked to solve it! Finding the killer proves to be difficult, however, especially when his efforts are constantly thwarted by the bigoted town Sheriff (steiger). But neither man can solve this case alone. Putting aside their differences and prejudices, they join forces in a desperate race against time to discover the shocking truth.

* Poitier, Actor, Lilies of the Field, 1963.
Steiger, Actor, In the Heat of the Night, 1967.
Grant, Supporting Actress, Shampoo, 1975.
**Jones, Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, 1995.
Guilty by Suspicion
A witch hunt has begun.  Not one of roving mobs prowling by torchlight.  The hunters are politicians sitting before clicking cameras in HUAC hearing rooms.  Hollywood is on trial.  And David Merrill is asked to "name names."

Robert De Niro and Annette Bening star in 'Guilty by Suspicion', a film of "resounding emotional impact," ('Houston Post').  Producer Irwin Winkler ('Rocky', 'Raging Bull'), in his screenwriting/directing debut, recreates Hollywood's "Blacklist Era."  De Niro plays Merrill, a director pressured to testify against friends who are suspected Communists.  And Bening is Merrill's ex-wife, sharing the whirlpool of scandal drawing them together.

Plus a Dragnet DVD that isn't in profiler yet.
Pete