Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151569 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
If I find it cheap someday I'll try to give it a second watch... Of course a lot of movies I've never seen (or already seen but appreciate enough to get an update) are much higher in my priority list.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:35 AM »
I find that that shows whether it's a good movie, as opposed to just a good ending ;) A good movie can be rewatched regardless of knowing the twist ending... A good twist ending film will actually be more interesting the second time around. Personally I count The Sixth Sense to one of those (the scene near the end with Cole and his mom talking in the car gets me every time...; heck, I am getting a lump now thinking about it :laugh:).

I mean, imagine people going "why rewatch Citizen Kane, I already know what Rosebud means" :slaphead: It should always be about the film, never just the ending.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 01, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
Found out a few more my friend is sending me...

Broken Flowers
Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) stars in the comedic story of an aging Don Juan who hits the road on a revealing and humorous cross-country journey. When a mysterious pink letter informs Don Johnston (Murray) that he may have a 19-year-old son, he visits four former lovers, where he comes face to face with the errors of his past and the possibilities of the future. From acclaimed director Jim Jarmusch and co-starring Sharon Stone, Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swinton, and Jeffrey Wright, Broken Flowers is the highly original comedy that Peter Travers of Rolling Stone says is "filled with wonderful mischief" and "brings out the best in Bill Murray."
City of God
Celebrated with worldwide acclaim, this powerful true story of crime and redemption has won numerous prestigious awards around the globe!  The streets of the world's most notorious slum, Rio de Janeiro's "City of God," are a place where combat photographers fear to tread, police rarely go and residents are lucky if they live to the age of 20.  In the midst of the oppressive crime and violence, a frail and scared young boy will grow up to discover that he can view the harsh realities of his surroundings with a different eye: the eye of an artist.  In the face of impossible odds, his brave ambition to become a photographer becomes a window into his world and ultimately his way out!
American Dad!: Volume 3: Disc 2
Episodes:

9. The Magnificent Steven (5/13/2007)
Determined to make men of Steve and his friends, Stan saddles up for a mad cow cattle drive.  Meanwhile, Roger ignites a catfight in the Smith household.

10. Joint Custody (5/20/2007)
Would-be bounty hunters Stan and Roger race to apprehend Jeff, Hayley's slacker boyfriend, who is wanted on marijuana charges.

11. The Vacation Goo (9/30/2007)
When she discovers that all of the family's previous vacations have been artificial memories created by C.I.A. chicanery, Francine demands the real thing, and it's almost too good to be true.

12. Meter Made (10/7/2007)
While Hayley poses node for Roger's art class, Stan is sentenced to doing community service as a meter maid and abuses his newfound power.

13. Dope & Faith (10/14/2007)
Stan prays for a gets a new friend, who just happens to be an atheist.

14. Big Trouble in Little Langley (11/4/2007)
Feeling disrespected when Francine's adopted parents arrive for a visit, Stan sets out to find her birth parents.  Meanwhile, Steve goes to extreme measures to score points with the class hottie.

15. Haylias (11/11/2007)
Stan uses brainwashing to prevent Hayley from moving to France, but he soon realizes that the consequences could be deadly.

16. The 42-Year-Old Virgin (11/18/2007)
Stan has something to lose when his buddies discover that he has never actually killed anyone before.

Yes... that is just one disc of an American Dad set... I guess she don't have the entire set... and I figure it is a good enough way to test out the show to see if I like it. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 02, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »
I just found out from a quick game of Hangman that I will be getting...

Easy Rider: Special Edition: 30th Anniversary
Experience the real, uncensored '60s counterculture in this compelling mixture of drugs, sex and armchair politics. Academy Award™-winner Jack Nicholson (Best Actor, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1975; Best Supporting Actor, Terms of Endearment, 1983; Best Actor, As Good As It Gets, 1997) stars with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper (who also directs) in this unconventional classic which Time magazine hails as "one of the ten most important pictures of the decade."

Nominated for an Academy Award™ (1969) for Best Screenplay (written by Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Terry Southern) EASY RIDER continues to touch a chord with audiences of all ages.

And I do mean quick too... Got it in only 2 letters. First I guessed "A" then I guessed "E" giving me...

EA-- ---E-

...and from that I got Easy Rider!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »
 :o

You are the hangman king!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 02, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
What can I say... it was Easy (Rider)  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2011, 03:13:33 AM »
Another game of Hangman and I find out I am getting...

Empire of the Sun:
Steven Spielberg's film EMPIRE OF THE SUN is an inspiring, action-packed epic of a small boy in a great war. That boy is Jim Graham, a young Briton whose unconquerable spirit soars high and free above the harsh confines of a Japanese internment camp during World War II. Through his eyes we see the fascination and horror of war. And we see a child's hold onto childhood weaken as his struggle to survive grows fiercer.

Based on J. G. Ballard's memorable bestseller, this first major Hollywood studio production ever to shoot in the People's Republic of China earned 1987 National Board of Review awards for Best Picture and Director, as well as a special citation for Outstanding Juvenile Performance for Christian Bale as Jim.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
Got another list of movies coming in that HUGE box of DVDs being prepared for me! :)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
They say love and money don't mix, but you can't blame Harry Lockhart for trying. He's been whisked from a life o petty crime to Hollywood, where he'll audition for the role of a movie detective and be tutored for the part by a private eye. Now all Harry has to to is convince the dream girl he meets that he's an actual detective. And try not to stumble over the corpses as reel life abruptly gives way to the real. Lights, camera, plenty of action! Shane Black (Lethal Weapon) provides the screenplay and makes his directing debut in a clever fusion of buddy movie and hardboiled noir produced by Joel Silver. Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan play the thrust-together trio — a naive schemer, a tough-as-nails gay detective, and a hopeful actress clinging to her dream. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Watch Watch.
Hot Fuzz
Get ready for a gut-busting, outrageous comedy from the guys that created Shaun of the Dead. Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) is a big-city cop who can't be stopped - but he's making everyone else on the force look bad. When he is reassigned to a small, quiet town, he struggles with this new, seemingly idyllic world and his bumbling partner (Nick Frost). But their dull existence is interrupted by several grisly and suspicious accidents, and the crime-fighting duo turn up the heat and hand out high-octane, car-chasing, gun-fighting, big-city justice in this hilarious hit critics are calling "Outrageous! Uproariously funny!" (Thelma Adams, US WEEKLY).
Haiku Tunnel
When young, funny temp worker Josh Kornbluth accepts an offer to go perm at a popular San Francisco law office, his carefully unstructured, ambivalent, commitment-phobic lifestyle begins to unravel. Unable to complete the simple task of mailing 17 high-priority letters for his boss, Josh suddenly finds himself face-to-face with his unusually chipper co-workers and his inability to deal! Soon, when Josh's morning alarm rings, it's time for him to get up - and 'fess up.

Written and directed by talented newcomer - brothers Josh and Jacob Kornbluth, HAIKU TUNNEL is a hilarious, super-entertaining comedy about one man's struggle to survive the 9 to 5.
Alfie
Alfie is not really a bad sort. It's just that he has this overwhelming desire for the opposite sex. You might say that "birds" are irresistible to him, sort of second nature. With Michael Caine in the title role, Alfie is a ribald and wild comedy, filled with sex and sin. For those who want to be entertained, Alfie  is charming, delightful and quick-moving. For those who want more, there is beneath the surface a lingering tragedy, simply and poignantly told, about the taker and the taken.
Harsh Times
From the creator of Training Day comes Harsh Times, an explosive ride on the mean streets of south central Los Angeles, featuring powerhouse performances by Christian Bale (Batman Begins), Freddy Rodriguez (Six Feet Under), and Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives). Bale is "electrifying" and "mesmerizing" (Entertainment Weekly) as a returning Middle East soldier who, unable to get a job with the LAPD, drifts into a life of petty crime, drugs and violence. In one of the year's most acclaimed performances, Bale "continues to establish himself as one of the most daring and committed actors of his generation" (Michael Ordoña, Los Angeles Times). Says Kyle Smith of the New York Post, "if Martin Scorsese were 30 and a Los Angeleno, he'd be making movies...like this."
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #458 on: March 02, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
Wow, what a selection! Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Hot Fuzz, Alfie (don't know if you'll like that, but it is brilliant), Empire of the Sun, Broken Flowers and City of God?  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
And never seen any of them! I am so looking forward to this package!  ;D
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #460 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »
Looks like a lot of good titles in there.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »
Just found out about another title... another one I never seen before.

American History X
Derek Vinyard (EDWARD NORTON, Rounders, Primal Fear), the charismatic leader of a group of young white supremacists, lands in prison for a brutal, hate-driven murder. Upon his release, ashamed of his past and pledging to reform, Derek realizes he must save his younger brother, Danny (EDWARD FURLONG, Pecker), from a similar fate. A groundbreaking controversial drama about the tragic consequences of racism in a family, American History X also stars Fairuza Balk, Elliott Gould, Stacy Keach, and Beverly D'Angelo.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #462 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
That is a really good movie..disturbing on so many levels..but very good.  Edward Norton is amazing in the part.

kahless

« Reply #463 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Just found out about another title... another one I never seen before.

American History X
Derek Vinyard (EDWARD NORTON, Rounders, Primal Fear), the charismatic leader of a group of young white supremacists, lands in prison for a brutal, hate-driven murder. Upon his release, ashamed of his past and pledging to reform, Derek realizes he must save his younger brother, Danny (EDWARD FURLONG, Pecker), from a similar fate. A groundbreaking controversial drama about the tragic consequences of racism in a family, American History X also stars Fairuza Balk, Elliott Gould, Stacy Keach, and Beverly D'Angelo.

Definitely a must-have movie!  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 03, 2011, 09:16:44 AM »
I am so looking forward to this package!  ;D
You will need to rent a truck to get it at the post office :laugh: