Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 146521 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Now, I like Star Trek in small doses. I really like some of the films, love the characters, but find the series faintly ridiculous. The stories are always the same! Dull, preachy and cheesy. And occasionally outrageously camp.

I think that you need to revisit the show, especially in the first season. Some of the best episodes are in that season because the show was still fresh. Don't forget, this was a TV show and had to be creative one hour, every week for at least 28 weeks back then. So yeah, you're going to have a few clunkers in the mix. But remember this, it took until the third season for this to happen with TOS, while it surfaced in the Star Wars series beginning with the third film Return of the Jedi* and continued with the prequels.  :hmmmm:

Remember in fact that the Star Trek series was a bit of a flop.

A bit of a flop??? It ran for 3 seasons! That's 79 episodes! If it were a BBC program, that could have been considered 8 seasons, seeing as how a TV season can be just 6 or 8 episodes over there.

I find it interesting that The Motion Picture (dreadful film!) only came out after Star Wars and ironic that the marvellous Wrath of Khan is considered a sci-fi movie sequel classic, released a mere two years after The Empire Strikes Back. So in summary, Star Trek cannot be better than Star Wars, because without Star Wars, no-one would have even bothered about blowing the dust of the Star Trek franchise! Before Wrath of Khan, it was rubbish. And Wrath of Khan was only as brilliant as it actually is because The Empire Strikes Back showed them how to do it. :tease:

And probably without TOS, Kubrick's Space Odyssey would have been a major flop without Star Trek's eye-opening to Science Fiction for millions of fans in this country. So maybe, if 2001 flops, just maybe, Star Wars doesn't get the greenlight to start production. So it's the old chicken and egg argument.

Now I will grant you, several of the ST films are much, much better than the SW prequels. I thought in fact, that the new Star Trek movie was everything the SW prequels should have been.

I'm probably in the minority when it comes to being a Star Trek fan regarding the Abrams film, I did not like it. I felt the concept and screenplay was cheap and insulting to a true Star Trek fan. But I think the vast majority of Star Trek fans were just so happy to see the franchise resuscitated and taken off life support, that they forgave the ridiculous screenplay.

(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
A bit of a flop??? It ran for 3 seasons! That's 79 episodes! If it were a BBC program, that could have been considered 8 seasons, seeing as how a TV season can be just 6 or 8 episodes over there.

True, but I thought the general perception was that the ratings just never took off. It found it's real audience and success in syndication?

Now I will grant you, several of the ST films are much, much better than the SW prequels. I thought in fact, that the new Star Trek movie was everything the SW prequels should have been.

I'm probably in the minority when it comes to being a Star Trek fan regarding the Abrams film, I did not like it. I felt the concept and screenplay was cheap and insulting to a true Star Trek fan. But I think the vast majority of Star Trek fans were just so happy to see the franchise resuscitated and taken off life support, that they forgave the ridiculous screenplay.

Absolutely. It definitely isn't that intelligent a film and has some horrendous plotting (Kirk meeting Spock, for one), but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't think you are so much of a minority actually, but Abrams is one of the sharpest producers around and the perceived wisdom is that he was just going for all action fun to grab a big audience. Hopefully part 2 will be an Empire Str... I mean, a Wrath of Khan. ;)

I always said that the Star Wars prequels biggest failing was not having "Han Solo". Obviously not the character, but the spirit of that character. Harrison Ford gave the films an edge, a charm and an unpredictability. Ironically, Star Trek never had such a maverick character, but that's exactly what Abrams did. It just shows you the direction he was going. Ever seen this?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Actually, I couldn't be considered a Trekkie because I never cared for the subsequent series that followed. I only care for TOS and the movies starring the original cast.

I was lucky enough to have seen TOS when it originally aired, as I was a wee child of 6-8 years of age during its prime time run. It also happened to coincide with the Gemini and Apollo space program's race to the moon. There was a time, in my youth, when I could name every astronaut and every rocket and missile in the U.S. space program and military arsenal.

The show itself, help to foster in me, a driving desire to learn the wonders of natural physics, astronomy and Darwinian theory. To this day, my prime focus in all my thought patterns and decision making is based upon pure logic. Gotta love that Spock!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:50 AM »
I am no über-fan of either one.

I enjoy the first three Star Wars films as the next guy and can stomach the prequels for what they are.

I have watched the entire series of Star Trek: TOS as a kid and then on DVD but never enjoyed (admittedly, I actually didn't really watch much) any other of the series created in that universe :shrug:

I would choose the first two Star Wars films over any Star Trek movie. We can talk about the thrid one ;) I would not see them in competition with the TV series at all.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
Well... I got another DVD Care Package in the works. This time. both Brittany and myself is getting some titles!

Brittany is Getting:
The Flintstones: The Complete First Season
Bedrock's most famous family as audiences first fell in love with them!

From the moment they arrived on the scene, The Flintstones lived up to the words of their immortal theme song: a modern stone age family that is a page right out of history. The lovable temperament of Fred Flintstone...the delicious digs of wife Wilma...the hilarious jabs of neighbor Barney Rubble. They're all present and (pre)hysterically accounted for in this 4-disc set of the 28 episodes of the entire (pre)historic first season, full of terrific extras and trivia that will make fans shout "Yabba dabba doo!"
The Flintstones: The Complete Second Season
The prehistoric and prehysterically funny legacy grows larger on DVD with this fabulous 32-episode 4-disc set of Season Two! A perfect alchemy of adult humor, outlandish plots and childish pranks, The Flintstones offered cartoon characters that over time appear even more human and multidimensional than many of their live-action TV situation comedy counterparts. But the biggest ongoing series treat – the one that hooks each new generation – is the sight gag of dinosaurs performing as "modern" appliances – from lawnmowers to airplanes to vacuum cleaners to garbage disposals. This Deluxe Set is full of such visual delights and classic episodes. Now, thanks to the modern-day advent of DVD the memories are forever etched in stone
Antwone Fisher
Denzel Washington makes his triumphant directorial debut and Derek Luke shines in his first big-screen role in this gripping "story of survival and triumph!" (Clay Smith, Access Hollywood)

Inspired by the true life experiences of its title character, Antwone Fisher tells the compelling story of a troubled sailor (Luke) who is ordered to see a naval psychiatrist (Washington) about his volatile temper. Little does he know that his first step into the doctor's office will lead him on a remarkable emotional journey to confront his painful past and connect with the family he never knew.
A Beautiful Mind
Winner of 4 Academy Awards® including Best Picture, A Beautiful Mind is directed by Academy Award® winner Ron Howard† and produced by his long-time partner, Academy Award® winner Brian Grazer†. A Beautiful Mind stars Russell Crowe in an astonishing performance as brilliant mathematician John Nash, on the brink of international acclaim when he becomes entangled in a mysterious conspiracy. Now, only his devoted wife (Academy Award® winner Jennifer Connelly*) can help him in this powerful story of courage, passion and triumph.

*Best Supporting Actress, A Beautiful Mind, 2001.
†Best Director, Best Picture, A Beautiful Mind, 2001.
††Best Picture, A Beautiful Mind, 2001.
Nanny McPhee
In this wickedly charming tale, EMMA THOMPSON portrays a mysterious woman with special powers who enters the household of the recently widowed Mr. Brown (COLIN FIRTH) and attempts to tame his seven very naughty children.  The children have managed to drive away 17 previous nannies, but as Nanny McPhee takes control, they begin to notice that their misbehaving has magical and startling consequences.  "A magical, fantastic and wonderful fable that will capture the heart of the whole family!" (Maria Salas, 'NBC-TV')
American Dreamz
Hugh Grant, Dennis Quaid and Mandy Moore star in this hilarious comedy about living the American Dream. The TV show "American Dreamz" is sweeping the ratings, and everyone wants to be a "Dreamer." But when two scheming, hopeful contestants face off in the final showdown, the audience gets an eyeful of on-air fireworks. The stage is set for the wickedly funny, no-holds-barred competition that is being called "a riot!" (US Weekly)
BarberShop
From the producers of Soul Food comes this "warm, generous" (The New York Times) tale about a Chicago barbershop where razor-sharp comedy never goes out of style! Starring Ice Cube, Anthony Anderson, Sean Patrick Thomas, Eve and Cedric the Entertainer, Barbershop is both a "sweet, life-affirming movie" (N.Y. Daily News) and outrageous, bust-a-gut fun!

Calvin (Ice Cube) is a would-be entrepreneur with big plans...and running his family's barbershop isn't one of them. But when he impulsively sells the shop to a shady loan shark, he realizes just how important the neighborhood parlor is to him...and just how far he'll go to get it back!
Breakin' all the Rules
The game is on, and the rules are out as Jamie Foxx, Morris Chestnut, Jennifer Esposito and Gabrielle Union star in this outrageous comedy that rewrites the book of love.

After being dumped by his fiancée, aspiring writer Quincy Watson (Foxx) pens the ultimate "how-to" book on breaking up. When it becomes a smash bestseller, Quincy starts giving his cousin, Evan (Chestnut) choice tips on how to win the battle of the sexes. But when Evan's beautiful girlfriend Nikki (Union) gets wind of the plan, it's these players that end up getting played in this sexy comedy of errors about breaking up, breaking through, and breaking all the rules.
Super Size Me
In SUPER SIZE ME, filmmaker Morgan Spurlock unravels the American obesity epidemic by interviewing experts nationwide and by subjecting himself to a "McDonald's only" diet for thirty days straight.  His Sundance award-winning feature is as entertaining as it is horrifying as it dives into corporate responsibility, nutritional education, school lunch programs and how we as a nation are eating ourselves to death.
The Benchwarmers
For anyone who's ever been picked on, put down or pushed around, your heroes are here!

Rob Schneider, David Spade and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) star as three older guys who know what it's like to be bullied. After catching some nasty neighborhood kids picking on a friend's son, they strike back by forming a three-man baseball team to challenge the state's best Little Leaguers. Now, cheered on by every nerd, geek and misfit in town, these underdogs are about to have a field day in this slapstick hit comedy from the director of Big Daddy and Happy Gilmore and producer Adam Sandler.
Broken Arrow
Two military pilots [John Travolta, Christian Slater] engage in a no-holds-barred battle against time and each other in a race to recover two stolen nuclear warheads.

When a B-3 Stealth Bomber crashes in the Utah desert during a top-secret test run, the military quickly moves in to retrieve its two "broken arrows."  But the situation spins wildly out of control after one of the pilots reveals the crash to be part of an incredible nuclear extortion plot.

A supersonic hit from renowned action director John Woo, BROKEN ARROW is "a breathless non-stop joyride." [Dennis Cunningham, WCBS-TV]

I'm Getting:
Bad Girls
Madeleine Stowe, Andi MacDowell, Drew Barrymore and Mary Stuart Masterson star in the Wild West story of four fallen women on the run. Branded as outlaws, pursued by a posse and tracked by Pinkerton detectives, the four must ride together to stay alive. But when they're double-crossed by a gang of ruthless desperados, the women decide it's time to stop running, and start fighting.
Fever Pitch
According to Red Sox super-fan Ben Wrightman (Jimmy Fallon), finding romance is about as unlikely as his beloved team winning it all. But when Ben scores a beautiful new girlfriend named Lindsey (Drew Barrymore), suddenly anything is possible. That is, until the baseball season begins, and Lindsey finds herself competing with an entire baseball team - the Boston Red Sox - for her boyfriend's heart and soul. Will Ben's obsession with the Sox put his passion for Lindsey on the bench, or will love win out? And can his team finally break the curse of the Bambino? Hilarious and wildly entertaining, 'Fever Pitch' scores a home run!
The Transporter
Buckle up for the fist-flying, gun-blazing, action-packed ride of your life with the Special Delivery Edition of The Transporter. Packed with high-octane, never-before-seen extras, this all-new DVD release delivers!

Frank Martin (Jason Statham) is the best at what he does: transporting illegal goods with no questions asked. But his latest shipment, a beautiful young woman kidnapped by slave traders, brings deadly complications to his delivery plans. Now Frank must kick into overdrive to save his cargo – and his life.
Nim's Island
WELCOME TO NIM'S ISLAND, a tropical paradise where imagination runs wild and adventure rules! ABIGAIL BRESLIN (Little Miss Sunshine), JODIE FOSTER and GERARD BUTLER shine in this fun, "exhilarating and enchanting family picture" (San Francisco Chronicle) based on Wendy Orr's beloved novel.

Nim Rusoe (Breslin) lives on a deserted island with her scientist father Jack (Butler) and her best friends: Selkie, a sea lion; Fred, a bearded dragon lizard; and Galileo, a plucky pelican. But when Jack goes missing at sea and the island is "invaded," Nim reaches out via e-mail to the adventurous author (Foster) of her favorite books, and together, each discovers what it takes to truly become the hero of your own life story.
Assault on Precinct 13
Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne lead an all-star cast, including John Leguizamo, Ja Rule and Drea de Matteo, in the explosive, action-packed thriller, Assault on Precinct 13.  Run-down Precinct 13 is about to close its doors forever.  But everything changes when some of Detroit’s most lethal prisoners arrive.  Soon, the only thing more dangerous than the criminals on the inside is the rogue gang on the outside.  To survive the night, two men on opposite sides of the law will have to work together to battle an enemy who doesn’t follow the code of cop or criminal.
Brokeback Mountain
Brokeback Mountain is a sweeping epic that explores the lives of two young men, a ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963 and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection. The complications, joys and heartbreak they experience provide a testament to the endurance and power of love. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal deliver emotionally charged, remarkably moving performances in "a movie that is destined to become one of the great classics of our time" (Clay Smith, The Insider).
Inside Man
Academy Award® winner* Denzel Washington, Academy Award® nominee** Clive Owen and Academy Award® winner† Jodie Foster star in this intense and explosive crime thriller. The perfect bank robbery quickly spirals into an unstable and deadly game of cat-and-mouse between a criminal mastermind (Owen), a determined detective (Washington), and a power broker with a hidden agenda (Foster). As the minutes tick by and the situation becomes increasingly tense, one wrong move could mean disaster for any one of them. From acclaimed director Spike Lee comes the edge-of-your-seat, action-packed thriller The Wall Street Journal calls "a heist film that's right on the money."

*2001 Best Actor, Training Day
**2004 Best Supporting Actor, Closer
†1991 Best Actress, The Silence of the Lambs
A Bridge Too Far
An epic film that "re-creates in stunning detail one of the most disastrous battles of World War II" (The Hollywood Reporter), A Bridge Too Far is a spectacular war picture. Painstakingly recreated on actual battlefield locations and boasting a remarkable cast that includes Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Sir Laurence Olivier and Robert Redford, A Bridge Too Far accurately recaptures the monumental scope, excitement and danger behind one of the biggest military gambles in history. In September 1944, flush with success after the Normandy Invasion, the Allies confidently launched Operation Market Garden, a wild scheme intended to put an early end to the fighting by invading Germany and smashing the Reich's war plants. But a combination of battlefield politics, faulty intelligence, bad luck and even worse weather led to disaster beyond the Allies' darkest fears.
The Hotel New Hampshire
From Academy Award®*-winning director Tony Richardson (Tom Jones) comes this "bright, amusing and provocative" (The Hollywood Reporter) film based on John Irving's best-selling novel. Featuring "a gifted cast" (Los Angeles Herald-Examiner) including Oscar®** winner Jodie Foster (The Silence of the Lambs), Rob Lowe ("The West Wing") and Beau Bridges (The Fabulous Baker Boys), The Hotel New Hampshire is "intriguing" (Boxoffice), "impressive" (Los Angeles Herald-Examiner) and "fascinating" (Variety)!

A motley clan of eight lovable misfits, the Berry family sets out on an adventure to fulfill their father's lifelong aspiration of owning a hotel. Their quest takes them around the world, and they greet every new location with their own brand of outrageous humor, practical jokes and just plain weird eccentricism. But when this tribe of oddballs encounters a healthy dose of heartbreak, they soon must learn that not all in life is fun and games...and that sometimes the only thing you have left is the one thing that matters most...family.

*1963: Best Picture and Best Director
**1991: Best Actress, The Silence of the Lambs, 1988: Best Actress, The Accused
Audrey Rose
Suppose a stranger told you that your daughter was actually his daughter in another life. Suppose you began to believe him. Suppose it was really true! Sir Anthony Hopkins (Academy Award® winner* for The Silence of the Lambs) stars with Marsha Mason (Nick of Time) and John Beck (Nightmare Honeymoon) in an unforgettably powerful and hair-raising occult thriller that will make your blood run cold!

All Bill and Janet Templeton (Beck, Mason) wish for is a quiet, peaceful life with their 11-year-old daughter Ivy. But their dreams turn to nightmares as Ivy is besieged first by ghoulish "memories" of events that never occurred...and then by a mysterious stranger (Hopkins) who stalks her every move. And just when they think things couldn't possibly get worse, the Templetons come face to face with a horror beyond anything they could ever have imagined: a force from beyond the grave that threatens to destroy the only thing they've ever loved.

*1991: Best Actor
Little Man Tate
Jodie Foster (The Accused) "makes an impressive directorial debut" (Tribune Media Services) with Scott Frank's (Out of Sight, Get Shorty) compelling and bittersweet screenplay about a child prodigy caught in the harsh spotlight of fame. Starring two-time Oscar winners Foster and Dianne Wiest, Little Man Tate is a "stirring and magnificent portrait of the human spirit" (The Hollywood Reporter)!

Fred Tate (Adam Hann-Byrd) is a gifted pianist, a math genius, an incredible artist...and he's only seven years old. But this child prodigy is also adrift. Shunned by his peers and bored by his schoolwork, Fred is stifled by his environment. Desperate to encourage his potential, yet afraid he'll miss out on a normal childhood, his single mom Dede (Foster) reluctantly allows a psychologist (Wiest) to enroll Fred in a school for exceptional children. But when he's rushed headlong into academia, Dede's worst fears are realized – Fred is more isolated and alone than ever. And it's up to Dede to become what little Freddy's been looking for all along...a Mom.
American Psycho
Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) is a Wall Street yuppie, obsessed with success, status and style, with a stunning fiancée (Reese Witherspoon). He is also a psychotic killer who rapes, murders and dismembers both strangers and acquaintances without provocation or purpose. Based on the controversial novel by Bret Easton Ellis, the film offers a sharp satire to the dark side of yuppie culture in the '80s, while setting forth a vision that is both terrifying and chilling.
Audition
A middle-aged widower is urged by his teenage son and a film producer friend to start dating again.  They devise a plan to hold a phony film audition to meet new women.  The widower falls for a beautiful ballerina with a suspicious past, and their courtship veers from polite romance to psycho-nightmare!
Riding in Cars with Boys
From celebrated director Penny Marshall comes the story of a girl who did everything wrong but got everything right. Make way for Beverly (Drew Barrymore), a smart, beautiful young woman who can't wait to grow up, much to the frustration of her police sergeant father (James Woods). Her life takes its first detour when she gets pregnant at age sixteen. The baby’s father, her husband (Steve Zahn), turns out to need more mothering than her newborn son. But through all the trouble, Beverly makes a life that's more than she ever imagined and lives a story that's waiting to be told. Join the ride and watch Beverly kick life where it counts.
Mona Lisa Smile
Academy Award®-winner Julia Roberts (Best Actress in a Leading Role, Erin Brockovich, 2000) leads an all-star cast featuring Kirsten Dunst, Julia Stiles, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Marcia Gay Harden. MONA LISA SMILE is a funny, inspiring and uplifting film about an art history professor with a lot to teach about life and much to learn about romance.
Five Corners
A unique comedy-drama centered on the lives of the Five Corners section of the Bronx in 1964. Jody Foster partrays a young woman helped by a tough-guy-turned-pacifist, who saved her from being raped by an unhinged admirer. The admirer is released from prison and Foster once again looks for help. Offbeat comedy and suspense are mixed together in this one-of-a-kind film.
The 4th Floor
Jane Emelin (Juliette Lewis) has never lived alone and decides to move into an apartment by herself instead of with her boyfriend, Greg Harrison (Academy Award® winner, William Hurt). At first glance, the neighborhood is enchanting and the neighbors friendly, but things quickly turn bizarre. Something evil lurks in the floorboards and the walls and no one believes her fears. Terrifying sounds, massive infestations of mice and roaches turn her happy home into a horrifying hell-hole. Now it is up to Jane to discover the terrible secret before it’s the death of her…
3000 Miles to Graceland
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building...with $3.2 million in stolen jack.

As leaders of a gang who pull off a daring Las Vegas casino heist while disguised as participants in the town's International Elvis Week, Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner are armed, dangerous and sporting hunka-hunka sets of awesome sideburns. Awesome, too, is the film's supporting cast: Courteney Cox, Christian Slater, David Arquette, Kevin Pollak, Howie Long, Ice-T, Jon Lovitz and more. Get in, strap down, hold on. 3000 Miles to Graceland, directed and co-written by Demian Lichtenstein, is one kicky, volatile, heat-seeking missile of an action thriller.
Blunt: the Fourth Man
Anthony Hopkins ("Silence of the Lambs", "Legends of the Fall"), stars in this incredible thriller, in which he plays agent Blunt, keeper of the Queen’s invaluable art collection. He finds himself in a desperate race against time, in which he tries to keep his identity a secret. Espionage runs rampant in this era of treason and instability, and time is quickly running out. Based on a true story, this unbelievable film chronicles some of histories greatest secrets.
The Accused
What are the limits of justice? Of social responsibility? The Accused takes a powerful and thought-provoking look at human nature and individual moral conscience, and a judicial process that treats the victim like a criminal.

Jodie Foster gives an Oscar®-winning performance as the hard-living, fiercely independent Sarah Tobias, who is gang- raped in the back of a neighborhood bar. But that is only the beginning of her ordeal. Now Sarah finds herself battling the legal system, not once but twice, as she and her attorney (Kelly McGillis) go after both her attackers and the onlookers whose cheering fueled and encouraged the assault.
H.R. Pufnstuf: The Complete Series
Take a "trip" back in time to a place that made Saturday mornings come alive!. HR Pufnstuf, one of the most popular and beloved television series, is presented in this deluxe DVD package featuring every episode ever made! Travel to Living Island with Jimmy and Freddy, this talking flute, as they battle the evil Witchiepoo with the help of H.R. Pufnstuf and his colourful collection of friends.
Traffic
It's the high-stakes, high-risk world of the drug trade as seen through a well-blended mix of interrelated stories: a Mexican policeman (Benicio Del Toro) finds himself and his partner caught in an often deadly web of corruption; a pair of DEA agents (Don Cheadle and Luis Guzman) work undercover in a sordid and dangerous part of San Diego; a wealthy drug baron living in upscale, suburban America is arrested and learns how quickly his unknowing and pampered wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) takes over his business; and the U.S. President's new drug czar (Michael Douglas) must deal with his increasingly drug-addicted teenage daughter.
Tombstone
A sizzling, star-studded cast brings to life the legendary battle to deliver justice to TOMBSTONE!  Kurt Russell (Backdraft) turns in a gripping performance as U.S. Marshall Wyatt Earp, and Val Kilmer (The Doors) ignites the screen as the outrageous Doc Holliday. Together, they team up to bring law to the lawless in a notorious showdown with ruthless outlaws at the O.K. Corral! The all-star ensemble also includes Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Dana Delany, Jason Priestley, Michael Biehn, and longtime Hollywood favorite Charlton Heston. Get ready for an explosive, action-packed adventure the Wild West would never forget!
Duplex
Hollywood favorites Ben Stiller (Meet the Parents, The Royal Tenenbaums) and Drew Barrymore (Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Never Been Kissed) lead a star-studded cast in this darkly hilarious comedy where one wrong move turns out to be a monumental mistake! Young and vibrant New Yorkers Alex (Stiller) and Nancy (Barrymore) have just found the perfect place to settle down and share a bright future. But their new home comes with a permanent fixture they didn't expect; an obnoxious elderly tenant who won't move out and refuses to die! Pushed to the edge of insanity as their dream home turns into a nightmare, it's only a matter of time before Alex and Nancy begin to entertain some truly sinister solutions to their problem! Also featuring the ever-popular Harvey Fierstein (Death To Smoochy, Independence Day) written by Larry Doyle and directed by Danny DeVito (The War Of The Roses, Throw Momma From The Train), Duplex is another laugh-packed crowd-pleaser you don't want to miss!
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
George Clooney (Ocean's Eleven), Drew Barrymore (Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle) and Sam Rockwell (The Green Mile) star in the comedy thriller that poses an irresistible question: what would happen if a wildly successful TV producer was also a top-secret CIA assassin? While a maverick creator of America's favorite game shows gains notoriety for his smash television hits, he is also drawn into a shadowy world of danger as a covert government operative! But soon his life begins to spiral out of control — both of them! Directed by George Clooney and based on Chuck Barris' cult-classic autobiography, this entertaining hit delivers comedy to keep you laughing...and intrigue to keep you guessing!
Birth
A widow for ten years, Anna (Academy Award® winner Nicole Kidman†) is looking forward to getting remarried when a mysterious boy appears claiming to be her late husband reincarnated. The boy can recite the most intimate details of Anna's life. What follows is a spellbinding journey inside the very soul of a woman whose mind refuses to believe the impossible but whose heart knows the undeniable truth.

†2003 Best Actress, The Hours

Now these we won't be seeing right away. As they can't ship them before next month. So I would guess we will see them in about 3 weeks. But that is cool.... I am getting several added to both my Jodie Foster collection as well as my Drew Barrymore collection!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
And you'll have Audition in time for your horrorthon! You don't mind subs now, do you?  :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
 :laugh: I know... I really can't wait to check that one out. As for the subs... I don't mind them as much as I used to. But I still need to pause and rewind enough for it to be a bit aggravating.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Looks like you have another nice bunch of goodies coming.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »
And here we go again...

I just talked with the friend that sent me The Blind Side and several others (low-budget horror)... and I now I this on the way...

The Wolfman
Academy Award® winners Anthony Hopkins* (The Silence of the Lambs) and Benicio Del Toro** (Traffic) tear up the screen in this action-packed thriller. Lawrence Talbot (Del Toro) is lured back to his family estate to investigate the savage murder of his brother by a bloodthirsty beast. There, Talbot must confront his childhood demons, his estranged father (Hopkins), his brother's grieving fiancée (Emily Blunt, The Devil Wears Prada) and a suspicious Scotland Yard Inspector (Hugo Weaving, The Matrix Trilogy). When Talbot is bitten by the creature, he becomes eternally cursed and soon discovers a fate far worse than death.

Inspired by the classic Universal film that launched a legacy of horror, The Wolfman brings the myth of a cursed man back to its iconic origins.

*1991 Best Actor, The Silence of the Lambs
**2000 Best Supporting Actor, Traffic

Woohoo!  :yahoo: I been waiting so long to see this one. And talk about torture waiting to be able to watch it! This is going to be a long next 45 Days!!!

She also told me that while she was at it she sent me 2 more low budget horror movies to add to my collection. She didn't say what the two movies were in her PM to me though. So When I replied I asked... but she may make me wait to be surprised on those two.  :P
Pete

kahless

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:44 AM »
[...]
Woohoo!  :yahoo: I been waiting so long to see this one. And talk about torture waiting to be able to watch it! This is going to be a long next 45 Days!!!
[...]

I can feel your pain!  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »
What is scary... her packages usually gets here in 2 days. So the package will most likely be here tomorrow! Long wait with the DVD right there waiting for me on my shelf!  :P

Well... last night she PMed me and told me the other 2 titles she sent me. Actually 4 movies since they are both double features!  ;D

The Ghost/Dominique is Dead
Dominique is Dead UK 1979  95 min rated PG
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things/The Undertaker and His Pals
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Bob Clark's  Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is one of the most inventive zombie movies to come out in the wake of George Romero's Night of the Living Dead.  Six friends dig up a corpse named Orville.  They decide to experiment with witchcraft and voodoo rituals on the poor rotting Orville, only to be surprised and terrified by the awakening of the dead as they rise from their graves.  This film is chilliing, tension filled and only for those with strong stomachs, as the "Living Dead" have their grisly revenge on the amateur grave robbers.  The graphic violence, gruesome subject matter and unrelenting horror make this movie not for children or adults who scare easily.

The Undertaker and His Pals
An enterprising undertaker forms an alliance with a pair of restaurant owners to supply them with main dishes of fresh meat for their hungry customers.  Macabre humor and terror is combined in this exploitation horror film as the residents of a small Southern town are served human flesh as culinary specials of the day.  In order to keep the supply of fresh meat coming, the undertaker and his pals must visit the town every once in awhile and go on a killing spree.  This cult horror film will make you think twice before stopping at a small Southern diner for lunch or dinner.  Great shock film of the 1960s.

Both of those profiles are in desperate need of updating. Including scans.

I never seen any of the movies she is sending me. I already have a ton of new horror to watch this year! Which is an awesome thing since money is much tighter this year and I am limited to how much I can spend.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:32:56 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
You could always have Brittany hide all the new horror...just so you don't break down and give into temptation early :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »
Nope... can't get myself to do it! She has forgotten where she has hid things before!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
 :laugh:

Well..that would be problematic when it was time to watch them.  Though they'd be safe.   :laugh: