Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 146375 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2010, 02:21:40 AM »
Riddick Trilogy
Journey to a remote, hostile planet with a group of marooned passengers who learn that escaped convict Riddick isn't the only thing they have to fear in Pitch Black. Then, see his battle against ruthless soldiers of fortune and vicious creatures in renowned animator Peter Chung's 'The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury'. And finally, Riddick finds himself humanity's unlikely champion in the special effects-fuelled 'The Chronicles of Riddick'. Join Riddick in three times the action, three times the adrenaline and three times the adventure as the Riddick Trilogy makes complete one of the greatest sci-fi epics of all time!

Anyone here know about these movies? From what I can see from the profiles for the set it includes 3 movies. One of which is an animated movie.

Disc 1:
- Pitch Black
- Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (Animated)

Disc 2:
- Chronicles of Riddick

Out of the above all I ever seen before is Pitch Black. So I was wondering... story-wise... do I need to watch all 3 in the above order? Or can I go from Pitch Black straight to Chronicles of Riddick without any confusion with the storyline? Or is there even a storyline going from one to the other?... being 3 stand alone stories?
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »
I had bought the individual DVDs and watched them in the order they were released. I then bought the box set but I have yet to watch the animated film.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2010, 06:11:44 AM »
Out of the above all I ever seen before is Pitch Black. So I was wondering... story-wise... do I need to watch all 3 in the above order? Or can I go from Pitch Black straight to Chronicles of Riddick without any confusion with the storyline? Or is there even a storyline going from one to the other?... being 3 stand alone stories?
I love Pitch Black myself and own the "Chronicles of Riddick" film, but not dark Fury. As far as I know they are only placed in the same universe and around Riddick, but the stroy is not related.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »
I've seen Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddock..I don't know anything about the animated one.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
I owned all three for some time but haven't gotten around to watching Dark Fury :bag:

My understanding is that DF does connect PB and CR by giving some explanation as to how Riddick ends up where he does. I don't think that Df is that long either.

*edit* just checked and Dark Fury is only 34mins long.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
My understanding is that DF does connect PB and CR by giving some explanation as to how Riddick ends up where he does. I don't think that Df is that long either.
That what I wrote in the spoiler in my previous post is obviously a wrong impression I had.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »
That what I wrote in the spoiler in my previous post is obviously a wrong impression I had.

Yeah, think you may have the wrong end of the stick.
(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
I owned all three for some time but haven't gotten around to watching Dark Fury :bag:

*edit* just checked and Dark Fury is only 34mins long.

Thanks... so it sounds like while it probably is not necessary... it may be a good idea to watch the animated film between them.

Wow! Only 34 minutes! And I thought the Hulk Vs animated movies were short! :P

I should be seeing the package either tomorrow or Wednesday according to the sender. That is what the post office told her.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
Wasn't Dark Fury some sort of game tie-in? That might explain the length.

RossRoy

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
Wasn't Dark Fury some sort of game tie-in? That might explain the length.

I don't think so. I think it was really meant as a link between Pitch Black and Chronicles. Mind you it has been a while since I watched them..

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
OMG! This package already came... just today!  :yahoo:

She did make one mistake on one of the titles... but that is not bad... she boxed up the DVDs... then tried to remember what she put in the box to tell me when I asked. She remembered 19 of the 20... the other one was wrong. I will post in the other thread what I got here shortly.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »
Wow..that was fast.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
OMG... I can't believe this... but it is happening again! Another very kind soul is sending me another package. And this one sounds huge! I can't believe all the titles he is sending me! It may very well be the biggest package I ever got! And he isn't even asking for shipping cost! Wow! And he hit on something that I been wanting to see for a very long time now... so I definitely know the first marathon I will be having once they arrive! There is some duplicates that I already have but he said for me to just decide what I want to do with those duplicates... so I will be able to pay it forward a little! :D

Anyway... after cleaning out his collection he is sending me...

Star Trek: The Original Series
These are the original releases from when they were first released in volume sets of 2 episodes each... so they are on 40 discs. I started collecting these when they were first released... but only got as far as Volume 10. So I will have the first 10 to pay forward with...

That alone makes this a huge box!  :o

And then he is also sending me these many more.... Including what seems to be a couple of Musicals!  :fingerchew: Now... some of these may not be the version I am getting as he only gave me a list of titles. But he also said he would send me...

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The human adventure is just beginning...

Admiral James T. Kirk is called upon to take command of the U.S.S. Enterprise for the first time since the TV series ended.  An alien phenomenon of unprecedented size and power is approaching Earth, destroying everything in its path. The only starship in range is the U.S.S. Enterprise--still in drydock after a major overhaul. As Captain Decker readies his ship and his crew to face this menace, the legendary Admiral James T. Kirk arrives with orders to take command of the Enterprise and intercept the intruder. But it has been three years since Kirk last commanded the Enterprise on its historic five year mission...is he up to the task of saving the Earth?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
It is the 23rd century.  The Federation starship U.S.S. Enterprise™ is on routine training maneuvers, and Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) seems resigned to the fact that this inspection may well be the last space mission of his career.  But Khan is back.  Aided by his exiled band of genetic supermen, Khan (Ricardo Montalban)—brilliant renegade of 20th century Earth—has raided Space Station Regula One, stolen a top secret device called Project Genesis, wrested control of another Federation starship, and now schemes to set a most deadly trap for his old enemy Kirk… with the threat of a universal Armageddon! Co-starring Kirstie Alley (Cheers™) in her stunning motion picture debut.
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Admiral Kirk's defeat of Khan and the creation of the Genesis planet are empty victories. Spock is dead and McCoy is inexplicably being driven insane. Then a surprise visit from Sarek, Spock's father, providing a startling revelation: McCoy is harboring Spock's living essence. With one friend alive and one not, but both in pain, Kirk attempts to help his friends by stealing the U.S.S. ENTERPRISE™ and defying Starfleet's Genesis planet quarantine. But the Klingons have also learned of Genesis and race to meet Kirk in a deadly rendezvous.
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and the rest of the U.S.S. Enterprise™ crew take to the skies in one of the most acclaimed and intriguing StarTrek™ adventures ever.

It’s the 23rd century and a mysterious alien power is threatening Earth by evaporating the oceans and destroying the atmosphere. In a frantic attempt to save mankind, Kirk and his crew must time travel back to 1986 San Francisco where they find a world of punk, pizza and exact-change buses that are as alien as anything they’ve ever encountered in the far reaches of the galaxy. A thrilling, action-packed mission for the Starship Enterprise!
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
It's Stardate 8454.130 and a vacationing Captain Kirk faces two challenges: Climbing Yosemite's El Capitan and teaching campfire songs to Spock. But vacations are cut short when a renegade Vulcan hijacks the Enterprise™, and pilots it on a journey to uncover the universe's innermost secrets.

The Star Trek stars are back for one of their most astonishing voyages ever, with all the fun and excitement fans have come to love. So buckle up for a thrilling leap into the unknown that's "as much a spiritual odyssey as a space adventure, and it's all the richer for it" (Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times).
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
The Enterprise™ leads a battle for peace in the most spectacular Star Trek™ adventure ever!  After years at war, the Federation and the Klingon empire prepare for a peace summit.  But the prospect of intergalactic glasnost with sworn enemies is an alarming one to Admiral Kirk (William Shatner).  "They're animals!" he warns.

When a Klingon ship is attacked and the Enterprise™ is held accountable, the dogs of war are unleashed again, as both worlds brace for what may be their final, deadly encounter.

Directed by Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), this topical action-adventure soars with warp-speed excitement that's "impossible to resist" (James Verniere, Boston Herald).  Costarring Christopher Plummer.
Star Trek: Generations
Stardate: the 23rd Century.  Retired Starfleet officers James T. Kirk (William Shatner), Montgomery Scott (James Doohan) and Pavel Checkov (Walter Koenig) are guests of honor aboard the newly christened Enterprise-B.  A test run takes an unexpected turn, however when the starship encounters two vessels trapped inside the Nexus, a mysterious energy ribbon.  During a perilous rescue attempt, Kirk is swept out into space.

Seven decades later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the crew of Enterprise-D rescue an El Aurian physicist named Soran (Malcolm McDowell).  Unbeknownst to Picard, SOran harbors a deadly plan that includes the descruction of the enterprise and millions of lives.  Now Picard's only hope for a future rests within the Nexus...and a legendary captain from the past.

Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spinder, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis and Gates McFadden costar in this "cosmic hit that all generations will love." (Pat Collins, WWOR-TV)
Star Trek: First Contact
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the Next Generation crew engage in their most thrilling adventure yet - a sci-fi action event that "stans proud and apart" (Richard Corliss, Time).
They call themselves the Borg - a half-organic, half-machine collective with a sole purpose: to conquer and assimilate all races.
Led by their seductive and sadistic queen (Alice Krige), the Borg are headed to Earth with a devious plan to alter history.  Picard's last encounter with the Borg almost killed him.  Now, he wants vengeance.  But how far will he go to get it?  Costarring Alfre Woodard and James Cromwell and bursting with spectacular special effects, Star Trek: First Contact is one action film that "Has it all" (Jim Ferguson, Prevue Channel).
Star Trek: Insurrection
Engage! Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and his Next Generation crew are back and so is the excitement and fun in this "polished film that shines like a crown jewel in the Star Trek firmament" (Gearge Powell, San Francisco Examiner).

From the beginning of the Federation, the Prime Directive was clear: no Starfleet expedition may interfere with the natural development of other civilizations.  But now Picard is confronted with orders that undermine that decree.  If he obeys, 600 peaceful residents of Ba'Ku will be forcibly removed from their remarkable world, all for the reportedly grater good of millions who will benefit from Ba'Ku's Fountain of Youth-Like powers.  If he disobeys, he will risk his Starship, his career, his life.  But for Picard, there's really only one choice.  He must rebel against Starfleet... and lead the insurrection to preserve Paradise.
Star Trek: Nemesis
Set a course for a galaxy of unparalleled action and adventure as Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and his Starship crew battle a chilling new adversary...that just happens to hold a shocking link to Picard!

In the wake of a joyful wedding between Riker (Jonathan Frakes) and Troi (Mariana Sirtis), Picard receives another reason to celebrate: the Romulans want peace and the captain will be the Federation's emissary. But as the Enterprise™ heads toward the Romulan Empire, a brilliant villain awaits - harboring a diabolical plan of destruction and an unimaginable secret that will give Picard his most fearsome challenge.

Costarring Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden and introducing Tom Hardy as Picard's deadly foe. Star Trek Nemesis is "Exciting! Inventive twist-plus the unexpected shoot sparks of surprise throughout the picture."
Anchors Aweigh
Given free rein in choreographing Anchors Aweigh, Gene Kelly was eager to do the unexpected. But what? "How about doing a dance with a cartoon?" collaborator and friend Stanley Donen asked.

How about it indeed. Kelly's live-action fancy footwork with animated Jerry (of Tom and Jerry™) remains a milestone of movie fantasy. Frank Sinatra and Kathryn Grayson also headline this wartime tale of two sailors on leave in Hollywood. Sinatra's I Fall in Love Too Easily, the exuberant Kelly/Sinatra We Hate to Leave and other highlights helped Anchors Aweigh weigh in with an Academy Award® for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture*, plus four more Oscar® nominations, including Best Picture and Actor (Kelly).

The Matrix
Perception: Our day-in, day-out world is real.

Reality: That world is a hoax, an elaborate deception spun by all powerful machines of artificial intelligence that control us. Whoa.

Mind-warp stunts. Techno-slammin' visuals. Mega-kick action. Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne lead the fight to free humankind in 'The Matrix', the see-and-see-again cyberthriller written and directed by the Wachowski brothers ('Bound'). The story sears, the special effects stake out new moviemaking territory - the movie flat-out rocks.
The Matrix Reloaded
Sentinels swarm. Smith clones. Neo flies... but perhaps not even a Chosen One gifted with astonishing new powers can stop the advance of the Machines.

Neo, Morpheus, Trinity. They're back for the powerful second chapter of The Matrix trilogy, and exciting new allies join them in the struggle against foes who are cloned, upgraded and closing in on humanity's last enclave. Back, too, are the Wachowski Brothers and producer Joel Silver, expanding their vision with a spectacle that rocks the senses, probes the heart and shapes filmmaking's tomorrows. What is the Matrix? The question is not yet fully answered. And it leads to another: Who created The Matrix? The answers lead to more worlds of bold possibility - and to a destiny that passes from revelations to Revolutions.
The Matrix Revolutions
In the powerful final chapter of 'The Matrix' trilogy, Neo (Keanu Reeves) took another step forward in the quest for truth that began with his journey into the real world at the outset of 'The Matrix' - but that transformation has left him drained of his power, adrift in a no man's land between The Matrix and the Machine World. While Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) holds vigil over Neo's comatose body, Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) grapples with the revelation that the One in which he has invested a life's worth of faith is merely another system of control invented by the architects of The Matrix. During the stunning conclusion, the rebel's long quest for freedom culminates in an explosive battle. As the Machine Army wages devastation on Zion, its citizens mount an aggressive defense - but can they stave off the relentless swarm of Sentinels long enough for Neo to harness the full extent of his powers and end the war?
The Matrix Revisited
Been in The Matrix? Now take the next leap of understanding with The Matrix Revisited.

Experience the nuts, the bolts, the creative thunder of the cyberthriller that thrust moviemaking into an astonishing new dimension with never-before-seen footage from the original movie and exclusive reflections by those who lived it. Then go deeper with a look forward into the reality that is unfolding in real time: the sequels simmering to life at hidden locations around the world; an eye-popping first glance into The Matrix Anime – new dimensions that explain more about The Matrix. The Matrix Revisited is the who, what, where, when and wow of a phenomenon that has just begun. It will make you dream in bullet time.
The Animatrix
The DVD includes 9 short films directed by some of the most talented artists working in Anime and CG animation today, written and conceived by the Wachowski Brothers and set in the same universe as The Matrix feature films. The shorts take place in parallel to the stories depicted in the feature films, and tie into them in many ways. One of the shorts, the 9-minute The Final Flight of the Osiris (directed by Andy Jones, animation by Square USA, Inc), is actually a prelude to The Matrix Reloaded.

In addition to The Final Flight of the Osiris, you'll get The Second Renaissance: Parts 1 and 2 (directed by Mahiro Maeda (of Blue Submarine No. 6 fame), animation by Studio4°C, Tokyo), Kid's Story (directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), animation by Studio4°C), Program (directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll), animation by Madhouse Studios, Tokyo), World Record (directed by Takeshi Koike (lead animator on Wicked City), animation by Madhouse Studios), Beyond (directed by Koji Morimoto (animation supervisor on Akira), animation by Studio4°C), Detective Story (directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, animation by Studio4°C) and Matriculated (directed by Peter Chung (creator of MTV's Aeon Flux), animation by DNA, Seoul).
Perry Mason: Season 3: Volume 2
Television's most famous lawyer - who always restores order in the court - is back on DVD! Fans love RAYMOND BURR as Perry Mason , as well as the show's nail-biting dramatics and core of supporting players - BARBARA HALE as secretary Della Street, WILLIAM HOPPER as sidekick Paul Drake, WILLIAM TALMAN as DA Hamilton Burger, and RAY COLLINS as the irascible Lt. Aurthur Tragg. From the famous opening credits, right up to the suprise courtroom confessions, this collection of 14 digitally remastered episodes - the second volume from Season Three - is just like Mason himself: unbeatable!
Mary Poppins
When Walt Disney first presented Mary Poppins to spellbound audiences, it represented both a crowning personal achievement and a standard-setting cinematic breakthrough.  Winner of five Adacemy Awards®, including Best Actress (Julie Andrews), Best Song ("Chim Chim Cher-ee") and Best Visual Effects, Mary Poppins became one of the greatest films ever made!

High above the dawn clouds over London, "practically perfect" Mary Poppins floats out of the sky and into the lives of two playfully mischeivious children. With the help of a carefree chimney sweep named Bert (Dick Van Dyke), the spirited nanny makes every chore a game and every day a "Jolly Holiday." But, after they leap into a imaginative world of a sidewalk chalk drawing, visit a hilarious floating tea party, and join a rooftop song and dance, it may take more than "A Spoonful of Sugar" to cheer up the children's precise and disapproving father!

Now you can experience Mary Poppins like never before.  Fully restored to its original theatrical brilliance, this digitally remastered version celebrates the star-making performances, dazzling special effects and animation, and award-winning music that make Disney's milestone masterpiece simply "irresistible!"
(The New York Times)
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets
Join Nicolas Cage on a heart-pounding adventure that will have you on the edge of your seat in a race to find the Lost City of Gold. Grounded in history, imbued with myth and mystery, Disney's National Treasure: Book Of Secrets takes you on a globe-trotting quest full of adrenaline-pumping twists and turns — all leading to the final clue in a mysterious and highly guarded book containing centuries of secrets. But there's only one way to find it — Ben Gates must kidnap the President. Packed with fast-paced action and crackling humor, National Treasure: Book Of Secrets is a movie your entire family will want to rediscover again and again.

I want to say one more time to my friend... Thank You very much for thinking of me while cleaning out your collection!

I have never seen any of the early (first 3) Star Trek movies.... but I have always loved Star Trek... so once this huge package gets here... I know my first marathon will be... Weekend Movie Marathon: The Final Frontier!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
I just realized... I missed one...

Pinocchio
Walt Disney's immortal masterpiece Pinocchio has inspired millions to wish upon a star and always "let your conscience be your guide". Now celebrating its 60th anniversary, this timeless classic story of a wooden puppet and his kindly owner, the woodcarver Geppetto, is available to a whole new generation in this limited edition release!

On a magical starlit night, a blue fairy brings Geppetto's beloved marionette Pinocchio to life, beginning a fantastic adventure that will test the puppet's bravery, loyalty and honesty - virtues he must learn to become a real boy. Despite the warnings of his wise friend, Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio gets entangled in one humorous predicament after another, leading his valiant quest to save Geppetto, who's trapped inside Monstro the whale!

Honored with two Academy Awards for Best Song ("When You Wish Upon A Star"), Pinocchio reminds us all of the power of love, family and believing in your dreams - making it "arguably, the greatest animated feature of all time!" (TV Guide)
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
Yes, Anchors Aweigh is indeed a musical (Gene Kelly is my favorite movie dancer) as is Mary Poppins but I think it's a great movie anyway.  Mary Poppins is a favorite film from my childhood.