Author Topic: Computer Problem  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Computer Problem
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
I'm pissed off since yesterday... Why? My computer had stop working....

Was working on it and the screen had gone full of line or something like this. Since them nothing works :voodoo:

The computer start normally, the dvd reader light flash and that's all... Nothing else happen...

I'm sure that the problem isn't the screen since I've already check with my spare one. Looks like a memory problem or an hard disc problem, but the computer doesn't seem to reach it at the startup.

I will have to bring it to a technician monday and begging my brother to lend me some money (I've not a single idea of how that will cost).

To add to the fun (Its so much funny already ::)) I can't watch a single movie since my computer is my dvd reader, I can't play with my  new baseball game and I've to go at the university to be on the web (and their computer suck)  :weep:

So sorry I can't do the reviews update untill my computer rework...

>:(  WORST WEEKEND EVER  :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:38:31 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: NFBSK computer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »
If some of the computer guys want me to feel better, you're welcome ;)

Tell me it's nothing too bad, that it will cost me less than 50$ for fixing this, ....

Just had to cancel all my preorder this month (and maybe more) because my computer hates me :weep:

Anyway I will come back later tonight to check. I will try to watch one of my movie at the university (no, not that kind of movie :laugh:)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:26 AM »
I've changed the title for something clearer ;D

My brother had told that he was ok for lending me the money depending of the cost. At least this is one good news ;D

But if you had any idea of what could be the trouble give me a lead... I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary on it, so I don't understand :weep:

:surrender:

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:54:07 AM »
Well it doesn't sound like the hard drive to me, which is the good news, because although one of the cheapest components and easiest to replace, you have reinstalling time to consider and no data at the end of it.

It's going to be something fundamental, such as RAM, CPU, video or motherboard. Does it beep differently during POST, or even at all? That will indicate the fault better, depending on the make of your motherboard.

The age of the PC makes a huge difference, but I guess you don't use it for anything stressful, so...

RAM - I could replace my memory for about £20 to get up and running if it blew. I'd need more to run my games, but if you're not a gamer, no problem.
Motherboard - harder to source if the machine is a couple of years old, but around £30 to £40 would be fair.
Graphics - if onboard, see above. Expansion cards start at around £15, but again this is strictly for bare minimum; my card was £170!  :bag:
CPU - CPU? Fuck it. Bin it and buy a new PC.  :-X Seriously, the only cheap CPU is an old CPU and they have the shortest shelf life of any of the components, so if you need an old model, you may be onto a loser.

At a long shot, it could be the power supply. Although you're getting a supply, maybe it's not pumping out the required voltage so nothing can start up. If so, around the £20 mark would be favourite and a working PC within 7 minutes, approx.  :laugh:

Be aware, the components above can all put each other at risk, meaning blown RAM, may have damaged the board, etc. Keep a very close eye on billing. Two component failures plus labour could easily be north of £150 and that's better spent on a new PC, even second hand if necessary.

Good luck.  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:18:32 AM »
Well it doesn't sound like the hard drive to me, which is the good news, because although one of the cheapest components and easiest to replace, you have reinstalling time to consider and no data at the end of it.
That's one of the thing I was affraid of : losing everything on my hard disc (all my mp3, all my software, my various text,...). But like I've said it seems to stop before getting to it. The dvd reader flash and after nothing (no bip and no disc noise).

It's going to be something fundamental, such as RAM, CPU, video or motherboard. Does it beep differently during POST, or even at all? That will indicate the fault better, depending on the make of your motherboard.
This is my first idea. During all that day I've switch to my baseball game to firefox to winamp to my word processor without closing the game. I've 512 ko (don't sure of the term, but it's 512), maybe I've asking it to much and overload it. I really hope this is only that since memory isn't that costly.

The age of the PC makes a huge difference, but I guess you don't use it for anything stressful, so...
Bought it in march 2007 (so it's fairly new) and just finish paying it a couple of months ago. :dance: :weep:

CPU - CPU? Fuck it. Bin it and buy a new PC.  :-X Seriously, the only cheap CPU is an old CPU and they have the shortest shelf life of any of the components, so if you need an old model, you may be onto a loser.
Impossible at this time, since I don't work this isn't for nothing if I bought very few films.

Be aware, the components above can all put each other at risk, meaning blown RAM, may have damaged the board, etc. Keep a very close eye on billing. Two component failures plus labour could easily be north of £150 and that's better spent on a new PC, even second hand if necessary.
I think that negociating will be possible. It's a regional shop, I'm with them for my internet for more than 10 years and I've bought my computer here.

Good luck.  :thumbup:
Thanks!

P.S : The computer here at the university suck (the HD spin at an infernal speed), but at least I can be here and watch some dvd. Nothing compromising :laugh: since I've brought with me the first disc of Space 1999 to watch.

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48:59 AM »
I'd offer you to have a look at it, but you live a bit far!

Other than that, not much more to add than what Jon already said..

Good luck with all that. It really sucks to have computer problems...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 03:25:25 AM »
I hate having computer problems.  I can't offer a suggestion since I have no clue, but I do hope it isn't that expensive to fix and not that serious.

Computer problems suck.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
Time for an update ;)

The technician had checked my computer today and this is the news :

Good : This isn't the hard disc (I've lost nothing) :bow:
Good : I've enough memory so the problem wasn't there

Not so good : The power supply is dead
Not so good : The motherboard is dead

Bad : It will cost me 256 $CAN to fix it
Bad : No dvd buying untill I repay my brother loan (certainly not before the end of summer)

Less bad : I will have my computer in a couple of day (it's boring at home without it1)

The worse of the worst : It's my fault, I've wait too long for cleaning the inside and the fans were blocked  :weep:

I think that I've got my lesson and it could have been worst :-[

------------------------------------------

1. I depend completly on it since it's my "entertainment center". No computer equals no game, no internet, no music (everything is on my hard disc) and no movie watching. Only rest the tv to pass the time and nothing really interesting is broadcast here for me...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:13:23 PM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
Bad : It will cost me 256 $CAN to fix it

Looks quite a bit high to me...

How much are you being charged for labour?

A 450W power supply should be around 45$ (50$ if you go for a "branded" one), and a motherboard should be less than 100$, especially for a less than 1 year old PC... that makes it 110$ for a ~1 hour job?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:41:24 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
I was just thinking the same thing! Even converting to real money (pounds!) it's still a fair chunk of change. What's the average price of a refurbished PC there? I would have thought you could have replaced with a newer system for less than that. I am assuming your current PC is quite old.

Don't beat yourself up though, Jimmy. Honestly, I know I haven't seen it, but if the PSU blew the motherboard it is not necessarily down to dust. I don't know anyone apart from pedantic techies (like me!) who clean their fans.

The PSUs fan blows air out, not sucks it in, and would be difficult to clean at the best of times. The inside can build up with dust, but this normally causes overheating and internal fan failures long before the PSU fails. That should have caused your CPU to stop when its temperature level was tripped.

I don't know. It's just I've seen servers running happily with enough dust inside to choke any vacuum cleaner. And think of servers running in factories (we used to support a window firm and their server was regularly full of glass dust!), and I've never yet come across a home user with a failed PC because of dirt. They aren't on long enough and the environment isn't dirty enough. PSUs can stop for all sorts of reasons before you have to blame yourself.

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
I am assuming your current PC is quite old.

Bought it in march 2007 (so it's fairly new) and just finish paying it a couple of months ago. :dance: :weep:

So it's barely over a year old.. (unless he bought used, which the "it's fairly new" comment contradicts). So the parts to repair should be abundant and relatively cheap

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »
It a 2 years and 3 months old computer that was bought new. But it was built at the shop where I've bought it, so maybe the pieces are harder to get since it was built with my specifications. I found the price high too (but maybe he had something else to change and I've forgot it) but since I was really affraid to have lost it forever I'm just happy. Don't forget that the price includes the taxes :thumbdown:, so the real real cost is probably between 200 and 210$.

At least, I feel better that I was since friday ;D

How much are you being charged for labour?
No idea, I will know in a couple of days when it will be ready.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:59:20 PM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »
It a 2 years and 3 months old computer that was bought new.

:o

Where was my head?? Since when does 2009-2007 equal 1 year?  :whistle:

What are the specs of it? Do you know? (CPU make, Motherboard make, etc.)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »
I'm not at my home, but I've always the info on the original receipt (??). I will give them to you tomorrow.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:25 AM »
What are the specs of it? Do you know? (CPU make, Motherboard make, etc.)
We aren't tomorrow but I'm here again, this is from my original purchase receipt

Boitier Asus TA551 Power Supply 400W
Carte maitresse Asus P5GZ-MX S775
Processeur Intel P4 3 GHZ S775
512 MB DDR2 Ram
HD 80 GB 7200 RPM Sata