Author Topic: Can't Wait!  (Read 4813 times)

Najemikon

Re: Can't Wait!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
I still don't understand why it won't let you scan if you can't print. Have you an error number or message or something like this?

No, Pete will be right. It used to really annoy us, though I don't know if it's only related to HP. The control panel locks up (I bet it'll be asking for ink) and doesn't allow any other functions. The PC can't communicate with it because it's in an error state.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 06:06:36 PM »
Tse, tse.

Sometimes I think our kind (software developers and engineers) don't really think when they design something.

But then I see on a daily basis how developers make a rational and logical decision and are being overruled by Marketing or Product Management or even "Usability" and the only thing you can think is "WTF?".
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
The carriage that holds the ink cartridge is broken... so I can't put the ink cartridge in. And all it will continue to say is put in left ink cartridge to continue. And I haven't found any way to get past it to do anything else. the whole time the 3 buttons (printer, scanner & copier) blink.

I tried every button on the machine and nothing seems to do anything as long as I can't put the ink cartridge in.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »
If I were you, I'd be tempted to glue the ink carriage in place so the contacts connect and the printer "thinks" it has ink. But if I were you, I'd also realise it still probably wouldn't work because HP were arseholes for putting use by dates on the cartridges that would also probably stop the scanner working. :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »
I actually tried something like that already... I taped it in there nice and tight (the main carriage is there... but the peice that clips the ink cartridge in place is gone) with some duct tape... it is holding in there nice and tight... but all it does is tell me to check the left cartridge (or something like that).
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 02:21:41 AM »
Yeah, I bet it's impossible to position the contacts so the printer is fooled. Also it would only complain it was empty. Treat yourself and have a new one! :D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 04:53:27 AM »
This is what I own

And I can't say loud enough how I like it... More than 2 years of services and works like a new one, it doesn't care about my ink cartridge and the scanner work indepedantly of the rest.

I would be the first one to recommand this one to you Pete, but... The model is discontinued and, even if it's always available at Amazon, it cost a lot more now than what I've paid.

I let you the Amazon link anyway. Some sellers have a good price for used one, but I have no idea if you can have the same confidence with the electronic product than with the used dvd, cd or sofware...

Link

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
I have a Lexmark x5150.  I had it almost 6 years and been very happy with it.  I don't scan a lot, but it does really well when I do.

I had another Lexmark before this one and it worked well for me too.  I've seen newer models of Lexmarks for a lot less.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »
I've seen newer models of Lexmarks for a lot less.
Don't forget, the price isn't the only thing to considerate when it's the time to buy one. The price of the ink cartridge is important. I've seen some really cheap printer (between 30 and 40$) that need ink cartridge more costly than the printer price.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 07:32:28 AM »
I've seen newer models of Lexmarks for a lot less.
Don't forget, the price isn't the only thing to considerate when it's the time to buy one. The price of the ink cartridge is important. I've seen some really cheap printer (between 30 and 40$) that need ink cartridge more costly than the printer price.
[/quote]

That's true.  Ink for mine is a bout $30.  Not to horrible, but I know I've spent more for ink than the printer at this point.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
Well there is another chance I might be getting one soon. My brother saw a lexmark (also 3 in 1) at Big Lots... I don't have the extras money right now ($40)... but he said he might be able to loan me the money till next month. Will let me know once he does all his bills. So fingers crossed!

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 12:18:32 AM »
I just got back from Walmart where I picked up...

Cannon Pixma MP190
- Printer
- Scanner
- Copier

So far I scanned Brittany's School Picture from this year... and then I printed out some coupons for when we do grocery shopping tomorrow. So far everything works great!  ;D
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
Well done, Pete! Nice up-to-date one.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »
Cool! Thanks! :)

Now I just need to learn all the ins and outs of scanning!  :P

But I should be fine... it's not like the DVDP bunch is picky or anything  :tease:
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »
But I should be fine... it's not like the DVDP bunch is picky or anything  :tease:

:hysterical: